Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need IBT lessons?

• 03-12-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I used to ride a scooter from when I was 17-19 all the time. My provisional bike license then long expired and I did a theory test in July 2010 and got the provisional A, A1. I bought and used a Honda Varadero 125 for about 6 months to get comfortable with a gear bike and thankfully that all went well.

My provisional expired in July 2012 and I plan to renew it soon, but I am wondering if I have to get the IBT training course behind me, or can I just take a couple of refresher lessons on lets say an ISM provided bike (I don't have a bike anymore) and then apply for and take the test on a bike they provide?

I am not sure how long it will be before I take up riding again, but I would like to get the license sorted out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

You might want to ask that question here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=577
    Motorbike section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I don't think you will HAVE to. But judging from the kind of licence you are on now, it'd probably be best if you did. That way you don't get stuck with a restriction for 2 years after doing the test.

You'd be stuck with the old restriction of 25kw, since I presume you are over 24 you don't have to be stuck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yeah, i'm 30. I had all my crazy little crashes and slips on the scooters, so that's all well out of my system. I plan to take it easy and don't want anything powerful, because I just wouldn't be able for it. I'm quite happy to be restricted to a certain power, but chances are that by the time I get a bike, any restriction will be long gone. Then again, who knows, I might decide to pick one up next year :confused:

And like I said, I will take a couple of lessons anyway, because it would be foolish not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭p_mac

Hi goz,

I think provided you don't let 5 years pass from the expiry of your mentioned provisional licence, you can get another without having to do another theory test and the IBT.

I'm not 100%, to be sure I'd ring the nice people at the RSA... I had a few dealings with them myself a little while back and found them to be more than helpful!

Take it easy... :)

Advertisement