Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project CARS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

I like pcars but given they couldn't even get animated pit crews to work I won't be holding my breath on the promise of tons of new feature.
    It was in the trailers, Ian Bell consistently said on the pcars forum that it was coming, then it would be a future update definitely coming and anyone who dissented was quickly rounded upon and eventually he admitted they reached too far with it. If animated pit crews were too much well then I don't know what that says!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Dcully wrote: »
    Well considering it hasn't nothing going for it but pretty graphics that's why I mentioned graphics.

Physics are terrible,force feedback I just crazy,needs different settings per car yet still feels nothing like it should., what a joke.

The market is well covered with AC,AMS,rfactor2,iracing and raceroom all vastly superior to pcars, maybe pcars 2 will deliver but I seriously doubt it with Ian Bell at the controls.

On the plus side pcars AI are decent and the sheer amount of tracks is impressive but quality over quantity and day for me :)

How can you say its brilliant?
    As far as I can see your just surmising and hoping ,nothing wrong with that however :)
    I hope you are correct,more quality titles for simracing can only be a good thing for the end user.

I've been reliably informed, I'll leave it at that.
    I see a trailer has been "leaked" onto the old interwebs, I might as well let a few bits loose myself.

https://youtu.be/kktEmHZ8M1A

New Project Cars 2 trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

The problem with pcars was physics and feel. I put about 20 hours in and gave up.

The thing assetto corsa does brilliantly is completely absent. The feeling of mid corner weight shift.

In AC (Ive hundreds hours put in with a g27) you have a constant feeling of exactly what the car is doing all through a corner. In pcars I had no sense of where the weight was which often then lead to a loss of control as you couldnt tell where the limit was.

Hope they work on this... oh and embrace mods which is another thing ac does very well.

The one thing pcars got much better than ac was the vr implementation.

The graphics i dont really care about. Pcars is prettier than ac but its not important to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hope they work on this... oh and embrace mods which is another thing ac does very well.
    I get the feeling Pcars is a console game that is also on PC, so I don't really expect modding. Especially when you consider that modding is a feature of AC on PC but absent on console. It's just harder to allow mods on consoles.
    The graphics i dont really care about. Pcars is prettier than ac but its not important to me.
    I think the graphics are probably the reason they don't have good physics. Good graphics can sell a game before anyone ever plays it. It's harder to sell a game that feels good. Those great graphics are using up processing power and giving the title more graphics means even less processing power for physics.

I've never played Pcars, I don't really hold out much hope for Pcars2. The only title on my wishlist at the moment is automobilista which I'll buy once I upgrade my wheel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I actually prefer the graphics of AC to that of pcars.
    Give me crisp clean textures before overly processed blurriness of pcars anyday.
    I actually prefer iracings graphics than any of the current sims, just a glorious clean image of nice textures and little to no post processing.
    The best feature if pcars graphics is the brake light reflection on the track, really immersive.

What wheel are you after Scumlord?

You will love AMS force feedback, its hard to put into words just how good it is ,really has to be experienced first hand.

You will love AMS force feedback, its hard to put into words just how good it is ,really has to be experienced first hand.
    I'm going to get the Fanatec CSW and the new CSL pedals. Should be sometimes around march.

Awesome kit man enjoy.

• Advertisement

I actually prefer the graphics of AC to that of pcars.
    Give me crisp clean textures before overly processed blurriness of pcars anyday.
    I actually prefer iracings graphics than any of the current sims, just a glorious clean image of nice textures and little to no post processing.
    The best feature if pcars graphics is the brake light reflection on the track, really immersive.

On console, AC's graphics are terrible in comparison to PCars. It didn't port over very well at all.

The only things I'm interested in are physics and FFB. If SMS can get a handle on those two they'll have a monster on their hands.

I have a friend with access to PCars 2, he assures me that both are sublime. I can't wait to find out for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

We live in hope Mr toast hopefully it lives up to the hype.

If I had a euro for everytime I was told the same about pcars by backers id be a wealthy man.
    SMS cannot do physics, their previous titles were the same story shiney graphics rubbish physics and ffb.
    I don't see how this money grab will change either.

I know people who are backers for pcars 2 and they haven't mentioned anything about having access, is your friend telling porkies :P

If I had a euro for everytime I was told the same about pcars by backers id be a wealthy man.
    SMS cannot do physics, their previous titles were the same story shiney graphics rubbish physics and ffb.
    I don't see how this money grab will change either.

I know people who are backers for pcars 2 and they haven't mentioned anything about having access, is your friend telling porkies :P

I have no reason to disbelieve him. He's always been honest with me in the past.

Just so we're clear here, I'm no PCars fanboy, I've always said that I hate the FFB system in PCars, it's needlessly complicated.
    I was talking to Ian Bell on the official forums and I made him promise, on record, that the FFB on PCars 2 would be far more simple and easier to set up. We'll have to wait and see.

Physics wise, lots of cars felt pretty bad to me, road cars especially. Some felt great though, the Ariel Atom V8 is joyous thing to thrash around the place.

If they finally sort these two things out then I'll be happy man. Snazzy graphics and lots of features aren't much use if the meat and potatoes are off.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I get the feeling Pcars is a console game that is also on PC, so I don't really expect modding. Especially when you consider that modding is a feature of AC on PC but absent on console. It's just harder to allow mods on consoles.

I think the graphics are probably the reason they don't have good physics. Good graphics can sell a game before anyone ever plays it. It's harder to sell a game that feels good. Those great graphics are using up processing power and giving the title more graphics means even less processing power for physics.

I've never played Pcars, I don't really hold out much hope for Pcars2. The only title on my wishlist at the moment is automobilista which I'll buy once I upgrade my wheel.

I got automobilista for free as i had the earlier stock car racing. Its decent but i find it hard to play non vr racing sims now.

The flip side of good graphics selling a game is word of mouth quickly killing it. Agreed that was always their focus. I wouldnt take a punt on pcars 2 unless i hear they do a top job on physics.

On console, AC's graphics are terrible in comparison to PCars. It didn't port over very well at all.

The only things I'm interested in are physics and FFB. If SMS can get a handle on those two they'll have a monster on their hands.

I have a friend with access to PCars 2, he assures me that both are sublime. I can't wait to find out for myself.

Whats your friends frame of reference? What does he make of pcars1 or assetto corsa for example? My gut feel is theyll push the graphics and weather effects again as per the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

This all seems promising:
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/02/13/project-cars-2-taking-the-fight-to-forza-gran-turismo

Would be interested too to hear what the more experienced sim racers on here make of the apparent feedback from racing drivers on sims generally being "too difficult".

I would still take with a pinch of salt. British celebrities opinions can be bought, they will literally say anything for money.

Sim racing is more difficult in many ways. You're operating on a fraction of the information you'd have in real life. A restricted field of view, no G-forces, it's not going to come as naturally as it would driving a real car.

Calling professional racing drivers British celebrities might be a bit disingenuous in fairness.

Also, if we're saying that you have to operate on less information in a sim than real life, then surely the game should account for this lack of tactile information rather than be more difficult to play as a result?

That to me would suggest the driver feedback on sims is correct.

Calling professional racing drivers British celebrities might be a bit disingenuous in fairness.
    He makes his living as a celebrity from what I can see. A British celebrity won't lift a finger without getting paid. He's pretty much using his name to promote the game, it's clear he's not being independant.
    Also, if we're saying that you have to operate on less information in a sim than real life, then surely the game should account for this lack of tactile information rather than be more difficult to play as a result?
    A sim can't really start making up the difference, it's kind of up to the user to get more information from the sim. The sim wants to be as accurate as possible, it actually outputs plenty of information you just need the right equipment to represent it.

A realistic FOV for example is going to give you a very narrow window to look through but it's easier to be more accurate. The solution to that is 3 screens or VR.

If you want to experience G-like forces you get a motion rig. It's up to the end user how much detail they want to get out of the sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Having first go of this tonight with my first racing wheel in years.

Cant wipe the smile off my face,the novelty value is huge!

Not gonna lie,finding it tough,very enjoyable,but tough. Will have to get used to using a wheel all over again.

Currently set up is ghetto,full on wonky table,but ive a stand ordered so hope that arrives during the week and i can give it a proper shot.

• Advertisement

You could not have picked a worse sim to introduce yourself to playing with a force force feedback wheel, in this area pcars is at the very bottom of the pile,if you want shiney graphics and a semi realistic physics engine then go for it but do your wheel justice and pick up atleast one proper sim with the full package.
    Try some of the others to understand what I mean :)
    Assetto Corsa,Automobilista,iRacing,rFactor2,Raceroom to name a few.

How is a sim being a sim a problem?
    That's what they were intended to be.

You must have missed the whole debacle of pcars,it was not intended to sit somewhere between sim and arcade.
    pcars and SMS intended a sim and failed, they were not trying to make some sort of simcade game, from the outset it was touted as a full on sim.

How is a sim being a sim a problem?
    That's what they were intended to be.

You must have missed the whole debacle of pcars,it was not intended to sit somewhere between sim and arcade.
    pcars and SMS intended a sim and failed, they were not trying to make some sort of simcade game, from the outset it was touted as a full on sim.

Well no matter if it was touted as a full on sim or not it is more of a game for the average person looking for a decent career mode and driving game then most other sims out there.

I'm not defending pcars it has been a failure on what they promised but the fact is if I want to play a game with career mode I will pick up pcars before I'll go near assetto corsa or the like. If I want to blast a car around the track and have a race ill pick ac I have put in more hours into pcars then any other racing game because the career mode actually is enjoyable in my opinion.

The thing you have to learn is that not everyone sees games or sims like you do.. other people enjoy other aspects of games that are different then you and that guy got a wheel for the first time in years and more then likely paid out a few quid for pcars and is enjoying it that's all that matters he don't need to be told he picked the worst possible game out there if he is enjoying it that's what matters.

Well no matter if it was touted as a full on sim or not it is more of a game for the average person looking for a decent career mode and driving game then most other sims out there.

I'm not defending pcars it has been a failure on what they promised but the fact is if I want to play a game with career mode I will pick up pcars before I'll go near assetto corsa or the like. If I want to blast a car around the track and have a race ill pick ac I have put in more hours into pcars then any other racing game because the career mode actually is enjoyable in my opinion

Fully agree about career mode and sheer amount of content.

The thing you have to learn is that not everyone sees games or sims like you do.. other people enjoy other aspects of games that are different then you and that guy got a wheel for the first time in years and more then likely paid out a few quid for pcars and is enjoying it that's all that matters he don't need to be told he picked the worst possible game out there if he is enjoying it that's what matters

Take a chill pill man, do you think I'm stupid?

Why not tell him there are better alternatives out there? that I hope he gets to enjoy.
    You would swear with your attitude I'm having a go at the guy.

Its like how dare i slate your pcars :)

Take a chill pill man, do you think I'm stupid?

Why not tell him there are better alternatives out there? that I hope he gets to enjoy.
    You would swear with your attitude I'm having a go at the guy.

Its like how dare i slate your pcars :rolleyes:

Its far from having a go at pcars as I said it has been a failure big time I didn't play the game for over a year it was so bad but when they tuned the career mode it was actually enjoyable from that end.

I know your not having a go personally at him but it's frustrating that when I read that guys post last night I knew straight away that the next reply would be you telling him how bad the game was in comparison to the others that you like.

If he read any amount of this thread at all he would quickly pick up the general idea of your feelings on it and what were better choices he can't really miss them.

:):)

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its far from having a go at pcars as I said it has been a failure big time I didn't play the game for over a year it was so bad but when they tuned the career mode it was actually enjoyable from that end.

I know your not having a go personally at him but it's frustrating that when I read that guys post last night I knew straight away that the next reply would be you telling him how bad the game was in comparison to the others that you like.

If he read any amount of this thread at all he would quickly pick up the general idea of your feelings on it and what were better choices he can't really miss them.

:):)

you see it as my telling him how bad a sim pcars is where as i see it as informing him about more better ways to enjoy his new wheel :)

I changed my rolley eyes to a smiley above as it seemed a bit harsh :)

you see it as my telling him how bad a sim pcars is where as i see it as informing him about more better ways to enjoy his new wheel :)

I changed my rolley eyes to a smiley above as it seemed a bit harsh :)

Haha Yeh the smile is better I should of put a few of them in my first one too as I didn't mean it in a total hostile way.

I see it as you informing him of a better option yes I do but I see it as you constantly informing people in this thread of the same better options.

I just see it as total repetitive but again it's my opinion and yours is different.

I have to agree with jayo26. No one can be in any doubt that Project CARS is not liked by some posters here, and it'd be nice if others could discuss the game without the same comments coming up time and time again.

I'm even reluctant to post anything in this thread under threat of "dude, do you even sim race brah?" type comments that immediately follow.

I'm grateful for Project CARS as I only own an Xbox One. Other racing games on the console, like Forza, leave me cold as I have no interest in unlocking car upgrades etc.

I'm grateful for Project CARS as I only own an Xbox One. Other racing games on the console, like Forza, leave me cold as I have no interest in unlocking car upgrades etc.
    You can get Assetto corsa on Xbox one. No.. I'll get my coat.

You can get Assetto corsa on Xbox one. No.. I'll get my coat.

:)

And just for comparison, some quotes from IGN's Assetto Corsa review on Xbox One:
    "The chief offender, however, is the opponent AI, which regularly pays no mind to your presence on each circuit and is particularly deft at muscling you onto the grass and turning your car around by poking its nose into gaps it really should have thought better of."

"I’ve raced several events over the past few days where the entire field has entered the pits on the penultimate lap of a four- or six-lap race. I’m totally befuddled by how such a weird bug could survive a trip to retail and it helps make Assetto Corsa’s already chore-like career mode feel even more untested."

"Assetto Corsa really only works as a single-player hot lapping experience for players with a wheel."

"With no night racing, no weather effects, a fairly narrow selection of circuits, fewer cars on track, no pit engineer communication or decent race-day atmosphere – all in addition to the issues I’ve described above – I just can’t recommend Assetto Corsa on console over more robust race sims like F1 2016 or Project CARS."

So, in a nutshell, a lot of the same AI issues that have been hurled at Project CARS. If you were on Xbox One, which game would you choose?

Don't forget about those of us who aren't playing on PC super rigs.

• Advertisement

So, in a nutshell, a lot of the same AI issues that have been hurled at Project CARS. If you were on Xbox One, which game would you choose?
    Assetto corsa is still being updated by the developers. The AI have improved a lot since those reviews were made. They've even released some free bonus cars and tracks and will be releasing more throughout the year. A lot of the negative points made against AC on it's release have been fixed.

That's kind of the difference between the PC sims and racing games. The sims see themselves as a platform to be built on, they keep releasing DLC and making improvements, adding features. The racing games are temporary, once they're released and work the makers move onto the next thing.

The racing games are temporary, once they're released and work the makers move onto the next thing.

Ahem:
    "The first DLC was the Limited Edition Upgrade, released in June 2015, which added five cars already featured in the Project CARS Limited Edition. It was followed by the Racing Icons Car Pack, Modified Car Pack (which was also available as bonus content for the pre-order version of the game) and Old vs New Car Pack, all of which added new cars to the game. Still in 2015, the developers released the Audi Ruapuna Speedway Expansion, Aston Martin Track Expansion and the Classic Lotus Track Expansion which added new cars and four new racetracks: Mike Pero Motorsport Park, the historic version of Hockenheimring and Silverstone, Rouen-Les-Essarts and a fictional track called "Mojave Test Track". The Japanese Car Pack added new cars from Toyota, Mitsubishi and Scion, while the Renault Sport Car Pack featured five new Renault cars. In 2016, Slightly Mad released the Stanceworks Track Expansion, which added a new fictional track called "Bannochbrae" and the US Car Pack, which adds the Chevrolet Corvette C7.R and the Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3, together with the Dallara DW12 and the Ford Fusion stock car.The last DLC released in 2016 was the Pagani Nürburgring Combined Track Expansion."

So all the above, plus 10 or so free cars and 7 patches for various fixes.

For a start id never use IGN as a reference for any game nevermind a sim.

Yes the AI in AC is its weakest feature but its far better than it was, I'm playing since early access when it had no working AI at all so ive seen it develop but its far from perfect, with a particular fear of overtaking you on straight even if you slow down to 20 mph but keep raciing and they race hard enough.

I would say though that pcars AI are a lot better.

As much as I hate pcars physics and ffb it has a lot of nice features like a tonne of content,seasons, careers,dynamic weather etc.
    The odd thing is it has one of two cars it does quite well in terms of physics , for any pcars owners I do recommend the clio series, I found it to be the best of the bunch on offer.

So all the above, plus 10 or so free cars and 7 patches for various fixes.
    But they've moved on now, they're doing Pcars 2. AC is still being developed and will still be developed for at least another year.

But they've moved on now, they're doing Pcars 2. AC is still being developed and will still be developed for at least another year.

OK, but isn't that down to the size of their team and resources available to them? I'm not sure I'm getting the point you're trying to make. I'm sure if they were a bigger studio they'd be working on a new game too, unless of course they hate money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I picked up assetto corsa on the back of this thread and and was sorely disappointed.

Maybe it's different on pc but it's as dull as dishwasher on console.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I picked up assetto corsa on the back of this thread and and was sorely disappointed.

Maybe it's different on pc but it's as dull as dishwasher on console.

Totally the same on pc it's very good physics but not much else to keep you entertained.

Again some people love the sim end of it and that's fair enough ac never claimed to be a game or never advertised its career mode and I'm sure if Pcars never claimed to be an out and out sim it wouldn't get half the flack it's got but that dont mean I won't enjoy it as a game because it is good from that end.

Some eye candy from PCars 2. Working put crews, dynamic weather, Porchse.

More to follow!

This is the most important change to me personally and I'm sure most of you guys will like it too.
    FFB presets that can be changed on the fly and also, as you can read for yourselves, self adjusting ffb that will adapt to your wheel!

Don't ask were this came from!

Force Feedback
    I am currently doing the next pass on force feedback. Here is my current notes/spiel on the matter.

The quick summary is this:
    * in game it wil be much much simpler and more accessible
    * tweakers can still tweak via file

Basic Demographics

For the purposes of defaults,

Hardcore and Hobbiest
    Appreciates excellence and authenticity
    Probably has good to very good equipment
    Treats time both setting up and driving as an investment
    Will do what it takes to get the most out of their platform

Enthusiast
    Strives for good competition
    will probably not suffer long with bad equipment.
    Often prefers what in real life racing is called arrive&drive.
    They may expect things to "just work"

Casual Gamer
    Is looking for a fun experience, often in small but frequent doses.
    May have bad equipment
    May not have a sense about the difference between broken and poor.
    Often have unrealistic expectations on front grip especially, to the point of deeming understeer as poor simulation. This is important maybe to be a bridgable gap w/ FFB processing?

All of them are vulnerable to judging new sims based on other sims, instead of real life.

Auto Adjust FFB

Auto adjusting FFB I think is mostly a feature for the Enthusiast group. Most Hobbiests will at least tolerate, if not enjoy, tuning FFB just right for themselves on their particular rigs. Most Casual Gamers seem to actually favor a soft-ish saturation, and a tight center.

iRacing's external tool I think misses the target in this respect, since an Enthusiast is not likely to deal with that workflow. In fact, and Enthusiast may not even worry to much about mapping FFB tools to buttons if that were possible.

I also do not think a continuously adjusting FFB is acceptable to Enthusiasts. Even if it were impercepable, I think they would reject it on principle.

So I think our auto adjust:
    cannot be offline
    cannot be an "exercise" by the player even in game
    cannot be continously adjusting FFB

The idea I am going with is to detect unacceptable saturation as an event, send a message to the player that an adjustment is happening, then proceed stable until another event.

The converse event is under utilization of the device (not getting close enough to 100% often enough). This likewise would induce an adjustment event that is reported.

Auto Adjust Damping

One thing I have struggled to convey even to Enthusiasts, is the importance (and how to do it) of countering the damping of a wheel, especially belt driven wheels.

So I do have some ideas as to how to do this in game automatically. However, this still has some "R" (research part fo R&D) to do.

Amp Analogy

I think the amp (and radio) analogy could be embraced not just here in development, but also as much as possible in the game itself. Many people have an idea what volume, tuning, EQ, and often even reverb do. Analogy in this case is a great form of "doumentation", just in how it shows up in game.

There will be several amp model choices provided, and more can be added via the Tweaker file approach.

Amp In Game Controls

Having the amp guts spread around in their absolute most logical place turned out to not be such a great idea. We will still have the guts in files, but no longer strewn throughout the GUI.

In Game control need to be as simple as possible. This is the front panel of the amp.

All controls should be in a single place, except one "volume" control in the setup.
    Boost/Pre-Gain/Volume (in setup, and controller mappable, dial from "less" to "more" FFB)
    Tone
    Master Volume (final raw scaling)
    Compressor (Auto Adjust Toggle)
    Canned Effects Dials (brake vibe, driveline effects, road noise, etc)

edit: in the analogy, the first volume (boost, whatever) is almost the guitar volume knob, and not on the amp at all...hence in setup, not where everything else is in controller config.

The Tone control is particular is interesting, because it is super simple, but also quite powerful if wired well. In guitar amps, Blackstar has done a lot with a single ISF dial, Vox with a single tone, etc. It forces us to focus on an easy to understand presentation of a tradeoff in a given amp profile.

Amp Lights

Right now the only way we have to look at FFB in game is the telemetry FFB trace. And even this is problematic since on the bottom of the graph it is hard to even see saturation. Also, reading it while on track takes too long.

What we need is a tidy little HUD element that is more like the tire temperature elements.
    color light/indicator (red: saturated ; black->white (or whatever ramp): FFB level unsaturated)
    numerical FFB level (in percent)
    peak w/ auto reset (like an RPM peak indicator)
    current value of Boost/Pre-Gain/Volume

So a very simple color indicator with three little numbers.

Amp File Controls

This will in effect be Topology 4 for the tweaker community. The two new things over 1-3 are open topology and amp control wiring.

Open Topology

Since deeper control would be file, and file only, I think it is reasonable to allow for different connection of elements. In particular, what goes before or after auto scaling and relative gain makes a significant difference.

Amp Control Wiring

What precisely the Boost and Tone knobs do can differ based on the amp. For example, an Immersive amp may have Boost dial the signal before a soft clipper. However, an Informative amp may have Tone sweep from being Fy dominant to Mz dominant.

Amp Models

These are the three I think the game should come with.

Immersive

Focus on immersion and the experience.
    feel speed
    tighter around center
    canned effect ok to default on
    Tone sweeps SoP vs Rack

Informative

Focus on optimizing the amount of useful-for-racing information the driver gets through the wheel.
    best use of dynamic range to continually inform driver
    no saturation
    leverage non-linear filtering
    Tone sweeps Fy to Mz dominant

Raw

Straight rack FFB without any filtering
    canned effects default off
    no auto scale
    no non-linear filering

Amp Defaults by controller type

The idea here is to leverage the correlation between controller types and likely consumers.

Lower End Wheels

The default for the Casual Gamer, likely the biggest percentage of lower end hardware users, is Immersive.

Higher End Wheels

The default here assumes Enthusiast drivers, and is therefore Informative.

Direct Drive Wheels

The default here is Raw, especially given the huge dynamic range and Hardcore mindset. In fact, any auto scale is probably bad for direct drive, because auto scale assumes we want to use 100% of the wheel since consumers wheels are lower dynamic range than almost all real cars. This does not hold for direct drive.

Jerk Based FFB (Revisit Relative Gain)

My experience with CXC's equipment has given me motivation to revisit Relative Gain. The very nature of a motion platform is such that you really do not go for matching constant forces, but you try to correlate acceleration of acceleration (jerk) between the sim and the feedback.

This is the idea behind Relative Gain, but Relative Gain, even before CXC experience, was just my first pass on the idea. There is more here to improve.

• Advertisement

Here's the mother load lads.
    Check out some the amazing gifs posted here.
    Sim Porn of the highest order!

https://gfycat.com/@ed3dfx

A.C. on the console is piss poor to be honest. The ffb and physics are excellent with a wheel but that's pretty much it.
    On pc, the modding community have transformed the game into what it is there. Kunos themselves have released tons of patches for it too due to the fact it's so easily done through Steam. We don't have those luxuries though unfortunately.

On console, it's pretty much just a hotlap stimulater for me. Career mode is crap, online is crap, frame rate, sounds, features, etc.

The next patch promises to finaly bring us custom lobbies and a new tyre model, I think then A.C. will start to shine on consoles, when I can cross swords with my friends online, that's were it's at for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Here's the mother load lads.
    Check out some the amazing gifs posted here.
    Sim Porn of the highest order!

https://gfycat.com/@ed3dfx

Still think I'm gonna hold out for Gran Tourismo....

Still think I'm gonna hold out for Gran Tourismo....

An optimist I see! No harm on that, I loved GT from 1 to 4, PD revolutionised racing games on consoles.
    5 and 6 were a different story though, Kaz has lost the plot in recent years imho.
    I hope the next instalment is gonna be mind blowing, I really do.
    I have a bad feeling though.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Having first go of this tonight with my first racing wheel in years.

Cant wipe the smile off my face,the novelty value is huge!

Not gonna lie,finding it tough,very enjoyable,but tough. Will have to get used to using a wheel all over again.

Currently set up is ghetto,full on wonky table,but ive a stand ordered so hope that arrives during the week and i can give it a proper shot.

Are you playing on a PC or console man? What wheel are you using?

Are you playing on a PC or console man? What wheel are you using?

On PC and PS4,a G29. Primarily bought it for use with PC. Waiting on a stand to come to set it up properly.

Really enjoyed it last night,great crack getting a wheel going again,totally changes the experience.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    On PC and PS4,a G29. Primarily bought it for use with PC. Waiting on a stand to come to set it up properly.

Really enjoyed it last night,great crack getting a wheel going again,totally changes the experience.

Cool beans, are you running the stick ffb settings? As I'm sure you've read on here they're a bit of a minefield to say the least.

Have a look here, people have posted their overall wheel settings for others to try. Most times the stock settings are fairly fine, the per car settings are pretty important though.
    A guy by name of Jack Spade came up with a formula for them, they really help.
    I use the classic set myself, they work. You input the settings in the tuning section.

http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

EDIT

Here's a thread from the official PCars forum, the first post has a set up that's supposed to be the Mutt's nuts for your wheel. Hopefully they'll light your fire.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35635-G29-Discussions-Plus-Support-and-Settings

Great links and advice there titzy that's the way it should be :)

Yup everything stock so far,im familiar with the logitech gaming software as ive a mouse and keyboard from them but ive yet to delve into the wheel setting section but i did have a good look online today and see there are plenty of guides. I wouldnt understand what the settings will actually affect at this point so those guides will hopefully be very handy to help me learn.

Thats one thing im realising fairly quickly,wheel aint gonna work out of the box at all in some games and ill need to tweak for others if not all them. I did notice a lot of profiles online though today when i was looking around so thats reassuring,least i can have some place to start. Ill check out the links you posted aswell,thanks.

Ill be sticking with PCars for the moment anyway. I did look at the list posted earlier and Automobilista caught my eye,seems to have lots of cars to try so ive wishlisted that on steam. Any advice on rally games? Id love to pick one up but unsure what are the better ones

Dirt rally is pretty epic the cars in it are lovely and visually it's stunning. It has had some problems with ffb but there are loads of guides and stuff on the problem but it's probably the best that's been released on years.

I have it since early access and I still put a good bit of time into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

A.C. on the console is piss poor to be honest. The ffb and physics are excellent with a wheel but that's pretty much it.

I'll tell you whats piss poor, project cars support for the Logitech G29 on console!

That ****ing centering spring which cant be disabled drives me mad, the game is virtually unplayable with it, the steering is far too stiff and keeps pullin to the centre.

When i see all you guys online i wish i had a thrustmaster wheel so i wouldnt have the issue.

And its a project cars issue too, dirt rally and assetto have perfect wheel support.

Im hoping when the next assetto update comes up for private matches ill be able to kick you guys off Pcars and onto assetto. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement