Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably priced couriers

Options
  • 03-12-2013 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi.
    I am a recently set up business who is looking to send parcels around Ireland. I don't have enormous volumes at the moment. I'm looking for couriers that don't cost the earth and so I can give my customers a definite price for delivery. I'm based in Co Cork. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Fastway, DPD or Nightline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CMED

Thanks - I've tried DPD and got an outrageous price per pack (Euro 25) so I'll follow up on the others. I am happy to drop them to a local town if necessary.

CMED wrote: »
    Thanks - I've tried DPD and got an outrageous price per pack (Euro 25) so I'll follow up on the others. I am happy to drop them to a local town if necessary.

€25?

Their starter rate should be €7.50 + VAT with an account. They will collect at your home. The max weight and dimensions is also pretty huge, so I doubt you would go above that.

Nightline also the same starter rate. Cheaper with volume.

Fastway are even cheaper for Cork deliveries only.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

I use an Post Express Post 25 pre-paid address labels cost approx €9.50 each. I'll have to check but I think max package weight is 20Kg (could be 30Kg) - I can trace using the tracking no and its always next day delivery. My work is right beside the local Post office so I take them there to be picked up, so I can wait until 4-45 in the afternoon to drop-off. I set this up a few years back called direct it doesn't seem to be advertised on their website I send a cheque to the GPO in Dublin and get the labels a day or so later - I can check what the exact cost is it was €7.50 up to about a year ago its been upped by a few € since.
    You can also do similar with Fastway (pre-paid) and they will collect but the pick-up time does not suit for my location its too early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Have you tried smaller companies in your area, I find sometimes smaller companies offer good value and good service.

For around Ireland I use Nightline and around dublin I use a local guy that I find brill.

• Advertisement

Thanks highlandseoghan - that's kinda of what I was looking for when I posted. I'd be quite happy with someone local that did e.g. (Cork) city deliveries every second day or something like that. However, I will certainly check out Nightline and Frontline. Nightline are offering Parcel Motel, but from what I can understand, I pay them X and the customer pays them Y - which will end up being as much as sending via An Post with just more hassle for the customer. I had a (possibly daft) notion that I could drop my parcels to a Parcel Motel, and they were all picked up and delivered to my customers 'motel', at which time, the customer paid the charge. Thanks again.

But your customers would need a Parcel Motel account, not everyone has it.

If I was you, I'd use a GLS Parcel Shop. They have a GLS shops in most big towns. Just drop the Parcel in and they'll deliver.

Where in Cork are you based?

Hi The Pontiac. I was thinking of using Parcel Motel as an option rather than a must as I realise it's just another account a lot of people won't want to have to deal with. I will have a look at GLS Parcel Shop - never even heard of that option. I'm near Bandon in Cork.
    Thanks.

CMED wrote: »
    Hi The Pontiac. I was thinking of using Parcel Motel as an option rather than a must as I realise it's just another account a lot of people won't want to have to deal with. I will have a look at GLS Parcel Shop - never even heard of that option. I'm near Bandon in Cork.
    Thanks.

Matson Wine Store
    Old Market
    Bandon
    ParcelShop ID: 3720002595
    Mo. - Sat.:11:00 - 22:00
    Su.:12:30 - 22:00

Try them for a price. Just walk in and they will measure it up. Can be reasonable.

Will do - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 GreenGrey

Hi,

I am in the same situation as you, based near Youghal, set up a small online business which is a bit slow at the start. I set up an account with these guys .parceldirect.ie. Saw their advert on here actually which is a coincedence

Great - I'll contact them tomorrow. It's just that between postage, PayPal commission, and people ordering what's not in stock :) I feel like I'm paddling against the tide a little. Thanks for your suggestion.

Advertisement