Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Créche and separation anxiety

Options
  • 03-12-2013 6:27pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is done to death..

I started my (almost) 3 year old Son in a local Créche last week as I'm returning to work.. just part time for now but hoping to go back full time in the New Year.. have been a stay at home Mom with him since he was born.

He was fine going in the first day.. but when I went back to get him he ran at me crying.. I'm guessing he didn't realise he was going to be there for half the day when I left him and he started to get worried as the afternoon went on..

From then on he has kicked up a big fuss and bawled crying when being dropped off, but the girls always tell me that he's fine once we're gone..

Everyone I say it to says the same thing.. "they all do that".. and I've no reason to doubt it.. I just want to put the question out here and see if it is as common as I'm being told it is? and how long should I expect this to go on for?

I'm sure the place is just fine and all the girls working there seem lovely..

He's in his second week there now..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not the same but my two year old is in play school and she cried going in for the first nearly month and cried when I collected her, she had a wobble after the midterm and cried again for two days but she's fine going in now. I listened outside the door once and they were right in saying that she stopped a few minutes after me leaving.

I know a month sounds like a long time but when you think of it, she was with me for the last two years every day and then she had to get used to different people caring for her, so it does take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

It's so heartbreaking but it gets easier. My son has gone through a couple of phases of getting upset (eg when he changes rooms) but he always settles again after a week or two. Apart from the first day has he been upset when you've collected him any other evening? It would probably reassure you if you could get a sneak peek into the room and see if he's happily playing away before he spots you.

Advertisement