Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy balsa or cedar wood?

Options
  • 03-12-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, I have been recently gathering supplies to make some boards, but I am having some trouble with finding a suitable wood for a stringer, I would use a regular blank but they are twice the price of the regular 100mm EPS insulation and i'm trying to do it cheaply, all the wood I can find that is thin enough is red deal, I dont have equipment to cut them so does anybody know where I can get balsa or cedar wood thats cut thin enough and in lengths > 6'6" for a stringer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i could be totally wrong but if it's a EPS construction you normally don't use a stringer. i stand to be corrected on this if i am wrong.

the stringer in my longboard before it snapped in half was plywood might be easier to get?

fair play for doing a self build let us all know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fiend21

thanks, I have repaired boards but Im totally new to building. This is the EPS I plan on using, https://www.build4less.ie/index.php?cPath=946_1063_1144&osCsid=q8272jqpk21ksh1v76snuad5h5
    theres enough material in one sheet for 2 boards, I think the 100mm thickness board should give plenty of slack when shaping the rocker

I was thinking that might be an option as I have a powersource (Mark mcGuire ) fish and a circle one minimal with 3-ply in them but I would like to get the least dense possible wood for the job to make the board as light as possible

perhaps sell some if I get good enough with some practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

sounds like an exicting project i'd love to shape my own board will get round to it eventually.
    how will you bond the stringer to the EPS? clamp it while it cures or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fiend21

Ill be using this method, where you lay the 2 blocks on their side with the stringer in between with 3Oz of epoxy on either side and put weights evenly along it.
    Theres a complete guide from making a blank all the way to the gloss coat and attaching fin and leash plugs
    http://www.surfersteve.com/polystyrene.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

some of westbays boards are stringerless http://www.westbaysurfboards.co.uk/freeflexpup/

most of the strength of a board comes from the glassing particularly around the rails.

the best place to look for info is swaylocks.com but search the forum first before you ask as they don't like the same questions over and over

good luck with the board

• Advertisement
Advertisement