Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing account - can I get proof of meter readings submitted

Options
  • 03-12-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I'm currently renting a property, however I shall be moving out in the middle of December. I know I have to contact Electric Ireland with meter readings etc and the name and number of the landlord prior to closing of my account, but I'm wondering when I submit this information, will I be sent an email with the information that I have submitted so I can show my landlord that the readings I have submitted are correct and that I have closed my account? I would prefer to have it sorted before I meet with the landlord as I don't want to give them any excuses to withhold my deposit due to unpaid bills and we may be meeting out of hours so contacting Electric Ireland in their presence with meter readings my not be an option. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi QuiteInterestin,

Thanks for your message.
    I know I have to contact Electric Ireland with meter readings etc and the name and number of the landlord prior to closing of my account, but I'm wondering when I submit this information

You can submit these details on the day you move out, if that's convenient. The most important thing is to make a note of the closing readings before you leave, and have them to hand when closing your account, which could be a few days or, at most, a few weeks later.
    will I be sent an email with the information that I have submitted so I can show my landlord that the readings I have submitted are correct and that I have closed my account?

The best thing to do is to ring up (or you could PM us here on boards) with the required information and we can generate a final bill there and then, notifiying you of the amount. If you are an online billing customer, the final invoice would be available for you to view the next day, and it would include the closing readings and, at the top of the bill, it would indicate that it is a closing invoice for the address in question.
    I don't want to give them any excuses to withhold my deposit due to unpaid bills

As far as proof of payment is concerned, for reasons of data protection a third party such as a landlord cannot access this kind of information relating to your account, unless you were to explicitly provide it to him/her. Note however that if you were to pay the bill as soon as you knew the amount, payment can still take a few days to register on our system.

Please do let us know if you have any other questions. We'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement