Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I keep this updated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Tuesday
    bike
    15 mins w/up
    3*5min TT hard efforts with a few mins easy in between
    30 mins of hill repeats in the TT position with a big gear low RPM c60
    cycle home

Wednesday
    swim
    500m w/up
    3*300m 1 steady, 2 solid 3 fast as i can with 10 secs rest with bouy and band
    3*300m 1 steady, 2 solid 3 fast as i can with 10 secs rest with bouy
    3*300m 1 steady, 2 solid 3 fast as i can with 10 secs rest with bouy and paddles
    300m c/down

Wednesday PM
    Turbo 90 mins
    30 mins steady
    30 mins solid
    30 mins hard

20 mins run at a solid effort off the bike

Thursday AM
    swim
    500m w/up
    16*25m hard with bands 15 secs rest
    200m solid paddles and pull bouy
    200m easy
    16*25m hard with bands 15 secs rest
    200m easy
    16*25m hard with bouy 15 secs rest
    200m easy
    200m c/down

Thursday PM

Interval run Run
    w/up
    4*15secs on 15 secs off
    4*30 secs on 30 secs off
    4*1 min on 1 min off
    4*1.30 min on 1.30 min off
    4*1 min on 1 min off
    4*15secs on 15 secs off
    c/down

Friday
    swim
    1km steady normal
    1km steady pull bouy
    1km steady paddles and pull

turbo
    10 mins w/up
    8*1min 1 min off getting progressively harder
    5*5mins hard 2 mins easy
    10 mins c/down

saturday
    2 hour steady hilly run -had wedding to go to so not a great days work

sunday
    4 hour steady cycle

Monday
    swim
    500m w/up
    30*100m steady with 10 secs rest, first 15 with pull bouy and band, 2nd 15 with paddles and pull bouy
    200m c/down

busy with work so little done

Tuesday
    run - 20 mins steady
    30 mins hill repeats
    20 mins steady

again a busy work day

Wednesday.

Swim.
    200m easy
    2x100m steady, pull bouy, 10sec rest
    2x50m (15m hard 35m easy) 10sec rest
    3x300m bouy band(1-3, so 1 is steady, 2 is solid, 3 is best effort) 15sec rest
    3x300m bouy (1-3) 15sec rest
    3x300m bouy paddles (1-3) 15sec rest
    200m easy bouy
    100m swim.

Bike - turbo:
    30min steady,
    30min TT best effort, 5min easy, 20min TT best effort, 4min easy, 10min TT best effort
    10min easy

completely fcuked finishing this session

Thursday:

Swim:
    200m steady
    2x100m steady 10sec rest
    2x50m, 15m fast 25m easy, 10sec rest
    16x25m fast with band only 15sec rest
    200m paddles pull bouy, solid. Rest while taking paddles off
    200m easy pull bouy, 15sec rest
    16x25m fast with band only, 15sec rest
    16x25m fast with pull bouy and band, 15sec rest
    100m easy swim
    200m easy

i planned an extra 800m but time was against me

Friday.

Run:
    20min steady, 20min solid but comfortable, 20min best effort (only managed 18 mins 20 secs as needed a barry)
    c/down

swim
    200m w/up
    800m paddles and bouy and band solid - swam like crap as i had a sore neck and stiff upper body

Saturday.

Bike:
    4hrs 10 mins steady and hilly
    Run off bike:
    4x3min fast 1min easy, really pushed myself to the end in this one and had nothing more at the end of the last 3 mins

• Advertisement

Sunday
    Run
    10 mins w/up
    6*3 mins solid but comfortable 1 min easy
    10*3 mins a bit harder 1 min easy
    5*3 mins best effort 1 min easy
    c/down

swim
    1km steady
    1km steady pull bouy
    1km steady paddles and pull bouy

Monday
    swim
    500m w/up
    15*100m best effort with pull bouy and band 10 secs rest
    15*100m best effort paddles and bouy 10 secs rest
    250m c/down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

MD1983 wrote: »
    Bike - turbo:
    30min steady,
    30min TT best effort, 5min easy, 20min TT best effort, 4min easy, 10min TT best effort
    10min easy

completely fcuked finishing this session

Have done a similar session in the past, horrible is the only word to describe it although not as bad as the full hour straight.

Have done a similar session in the past, horrible is the only word to describe it although not as bad as the full hour straight.

i think the hour would have to be an outside thing for me, i looked at the watch when i thought about 20 mins were gone and it was only eight mins gone, dont think i could do that for an hour ..!

Monday PM
    Bike
    20 mins w/up
    30 mins solid but comfortable TT
    15 mins hard TT
    5 mins easy
    15 mins hard TT
    15 mins c/down

happy with the TT efforts i thought i was doing ok

Tuesday
    Swim.
    200m easy
    2x100m steady, pull bouy, 10sec rest
    2x50m (15m hard 35m easy) 10sec rest
    200m easy bouy
    100m swim.

really worked hard on the best effort sections and happy with the speed

Wednesday
    turbo
    15 mins w/up
    1 hour with 5 mins on 3 mins off
    c/down

aquathon race 500m? swim and 3km run, club race for members of trilogy and athy tri club. arms were heavy after yesterdays swim but after about 30m i got away from the guy tipping my feet and swam ok for the rest of it. i was running before the next guy was out of the water i think. anyway not much to report and finished in 1st out of about 30 people

• Advertisement

didnt sleep well Wednesday night as i had some stomach pain for some reason, unfortunately this has continued on since then and i dont know what the story is now, so two easy days of training have been had and i am not 100% for my race in Ballybay tomorrow so its a real bummer as i have been training well the last few weeks, hopefully i will be right as rain in the morning but probably not

Thursday
    1 hour steady turbo - did this in the morning when i thought the stomach thing was just a temporary thing

swam thursday PM about 2km with some band work, not feeling the love and didnt push it

friday
    did an easy spin for about 80 mins on my bike and ran about 2km easy, stomach still troubling me and i dont feel great generally

Saturday

Ballybay OD race. race did not go so well as i was feeling a bit ill the few days beforehand. still i like a race and i was looking forward to it and in good spirits heading up to Ballybay. simplest race of the year in terms of registration and layout of the transition etc and i think it is a well run race, also good value.

registered, racked the bike and myself and the wife headed for a loosening jog, i tend to stiffen up a bit after a few hours in the car and the jog eased out the muscles a bit. anyway race about to start and we all get into the water, i look for peter as i figured he would be the fastest swimmer there and i wanted a draft, the race started all of a sudden and he was away from me, i was also pulling slightly to my right and that made me swim into and out of his draft and eventually lose it altogether, still i swam about 10m - 15m back from him up to the first bouy thinking he might ease off a bit but the gap was stretching a bit, i saw a big looking guy about 20m back from me and i decided to let him pass and drop into his draft to save energy for the remainder of the swim. turns out i was not the only guy drafting him as bryangiggsy who i used to swim with a few years ago in clontarf pool was also there. not much to add to the swim part of the report other than it was quite comfortable but i think i lacked the same power that i had in athlone. anyway i was 3rd out of the water.

rapid t2 and out onto the bike in 2nd, i was not all that confident that the bike would go well, i was feeling crap on my easy spin on friday, turns out i was about 30-40 watts back off where i wanted to be but i accepted that and kept going to make the best of it, i was hoping that the guys behind would come by and that i could sit in but it turns out that by the 10km point i had put some time into them, same at 20 and 30km but there was another guy seemed to be gaining on me a bit but still i think he was too far back and i wasnt going to wait. nutrition didnt go down at all, i pucked it up and generally didnt feel so good but in a way i was happy to be there, i told myself that i didnt have to run if i didnt feel like it

anyway back to t2 in 2nd, ok transition but as soon as i started running i got a stabbing pain in the lower left side and had to jog the first 2km until it went, the guy who was gaining on the bike came by pretty quick out of t2, then i ran on as best i could, not much to report only a guy came by me and got 3rd.

left for home happy i did it but very frustrated at the bad luck i had, its wasnt the goal race so i can forget it can move on towards the lost sheep. on the way home i got the wife to leave me off about 45 mins run from home and got another 10km or so of running done, wife won the ladies sprint race so she was happy enough with herself.

Sunday
    3 hours on the turbo

Monday
    1 hr easy turbo

swim
    500m w/qup
    15*100m pull bouy band best effort 10 secs rest
    15*100 paddles and bouy best effort 10 secs
    200m c/down

20 min jog

Tues

1hr 45 min steady run

Wednesday
    Turbo
    15 mins w/up
    30*1 min on 1 min off
    5 mins easy
    3*4 mins big gear 2 mins off
    c/down

swim
    500m w/up
    200m easy bouy

Thursday
    200m steady
    2x100m steady 10sec rest
    2x50m, 15m fast 25m easy, 10sec rest
    16x25m fast with band only 15sec rest
    16x25m fast with band only, 15sec rest
    16x25m fast with pull bouy and band, 15sec rest
    300m solid pull paddles and band
    200m easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

How's the stomach holding up MD, is this similar to the problems you had last season too?

joey100 wrote: »
    How's the stomach holding up MD, is this similar to the problems you had last season too?

it seems grand at the moment, has been getting better and i think its pretty much over. i have a tough run scheduled for lunch time so if i get through that with no issues i think its done

i dont honestly know if it related to my previous problem, i hope it was not related and that thing, whatever it was, is all in the past never to return...!

you had a good race at the weekend - well done!

Thursday lunch
    Run:
    15min warm up
    13x3min hard 1min easy
    5min easy.

Friday.

Bike:
    30min steady, 30min solid, 2x15min best effort, 5 min easy between.

Jog, 15min easy.

Saturday.

90 mins turbo steady
    3 hours on bike steady

800m swim easy

Sunday
    Kilkenny sprint triathlon

Race went well, much better than last weekend and came 3rd overall. Surprised how good i felt after the last few days where i was dead tired on Thursday after the run and did a good solid bike effort on friday.

Cycle 2 hours home after the race

Monday

2.5km swim steady

Tuesday
    i have picked up a cold which is a bit annoying to say the least when i have the lost sheep on saturday, hopefully it will be gone and i have decided to plough on with the training anyway, given that i am tapering this is no big deal.

3.4km swim
    20 minjog

Wednesday to Friday
    wasnt feeling great with the cold and i didnt get much training done. travelled down to kenmare on friday and vowed to stay positive about the race as i put in some great work the last few weeks and really wanted to race well.

Saturday
    The Lost Sheep
    This is probably the toughest race i have ever done, the bike and run course i thought were very difficult in comparison to other races around the country. The organisation by CTC was on a different level to other club races and i was very impressed by the whole race.

swim
    I started to the front in the middle and swam hard from the start, i was on the tail end of the front group but got blown out the back after about 200m, i then looked around and could not see anybody else ahead but there was a group to my left and i swam over to that group and dropped into the 2nd position. the group worked well and i kept myself in a prime drafting position, really happy with the swim and it felt very comfortable. time 29 mins and change and i was in the first 10 guys out of the water for sure.

bike
    T1 went ok but i didnt appreciate the long run in bare feet to the mount line, onto the bike and i was in a group with a few guys (mark nolan and a guy in a B2R suit with kavanagh on the back) and i slotted into the 2nd position behind mark and was happy enough. bryan mccrystal came by and he was putting out an impressive speed, a real demonstration of bike power, he disappeared up the road very quickly. we picked off a few guys who swam well but were not biking so great in the early kms

i stayed in that group to the top of the first climb but limited my power to 300 watts on the climb as i was not feeling as strong as i would be normally. my bike descending is very poor and i lost contact with the group on the first descent and was passed by a few more guys, not knowing the course would turn out to be a big limiter for me.

i caught a few on the way to the next hill and climbed up well but again limited the power output, the descent of this hill was worse and a few guys i caught went by me again and out of sight down the road, this was killing my morale and i tried to take the turns a bit faster but nearly lost it on one of the bends and then lost confidence

anyway onwards to the 3rd hill and i caught one of the guys who i had caught on the way to the 2nd hill again and also another guy who blatantly sat on my wheel for a bit. i climbed the third hill quite well with another guy just up the road and went through the tunnels where my chain promptly fell off, so stopped here to fool around with it in the dark and then onwards on the tricky descent.

i arrived back into kenmare shortly after not in a good frame of mind, i was frustrated at myself, the course and my bad luck. bike time 2.30

i set out on the run with the aim of keeping the effort steady the whole way rather than putting in too much of an effort at the beginning and then fading towards the end. i kept it steady throughout and ran better in the 2nd part than the first, it was a very difficult run course IMO with some pretty steep inclines in parts. time 1.40

overall time 4.46 in 20th position. great race but my worst performance of the year i think. looking back perhaps overdoing the training the week before weakened the immune system leading to the cold at probably the worst time, but then if i never push the training i wont improve so in some ways its like trying to catch a falling knife. i had my best ever run session during that tough week and that is encouraging for me for next year. i think my swim and bike are in a good place generally but much more work on descending is required but then again its only in this race were it would be of serious benefit.

next up is a recovery week which is needed as i am coughing a lung up today, and then a build to Ocean Lava HIM in lanzarote in a few weeks with maybe one more race in ireland b4hand

Last week
    Last week was a recovery week and i did whatever i felt like doing but at least 1 short session a day and i did a 2 hour bike ride on saturday, sunday was the club super sprint handicapped triathlon, apart from the handicaps being way too generous it was a fun little race

Monday
    2.5km swim, 1000m was bands and pull bout and 1000m paddles and pull bouy just a steady effort

25 min jog

Tuesday
    Turbo - i felt like i never rode a bike in my life and it was a tough session for that reason
    10 mins w/up
    10*1 min hard 1 min easy
    8*3 mins solid with 1 min solid standing effort in between the 3 mins (i.e. 32 mins total)
    2 mins easy

15 mins run

a good session to wake the legs up a bit and tomorrow i hope to do some better work

• Advertisement

Wed
    swim
    500m w/up
    3*300m 1 steady, 2 solid 3 fast as i can with 10 secs rest with bouy and band
    3*300m 1 steady, 2 solid 3 fast as i can with 10 secs rest with bouy
    3*300m 1 steady, 2 solid 3 fast as i can with 10 secs rest with bouy and paddles
    200m c/down

run
    20mins steady, 20 mins solid, 20 mins best effort 5 mins easy

Thurs
    swim
    500m w/up
    16*25 metres band hard
    200m paddles and bouy solid
    200m easy
    16*25 metres band hard
    200m paddles and bouy solid
    200m easy
    16*25 metres pull bouy hard
    200m paddels and bouy solid
    200m easy

plan for bike this evening
    15 mins w/up
    12 mins TT solid, 3 mins easy
    12 mins bit harder, 3 mins easy
    12 mins best effort, 3 mins easy
    cycle home - 10 mins or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I gotta ask- why do you train so exclusively with paddles? (and B&B)?

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    I gotta ask- why do you train so exclusively with paddles? (and B&B)?

http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

it hasnt hurt my swimming Kurt.

When i started swimming first a few years ago i could only freestyle 25m and then would have to rest and then do another length. my sprint times were over 20 mins for the swim, i was an appalling swimmer.

that winter i swam on my own and used the bouy and paddles a lot and improved significantly, i did the 3km swim in athy in 58 mins.

i worked then with peter a bit and on my own for the next while and the next year did the 3km swim in 52 mins, again there was some use of pool toys.

this year with more swimming and use of pool toys i was down to 47 mins for the 3km swim in athy and was 3rd out of the swim. i have improved more since athy and i think next year i will do that same race and if conditions are similar beat 47 mins and be at the front again.

why wouldnt i use them?! some tools make swimming easier but also bands only makes it harder

around athy this year i took on a coach to help with my training, i was most concerned with improving my run which was why i wanted the help, but his training has me using the swim tools too so i dont think its a bad thing.

its all about swimming well in a wetsuit for me, i think the tools allow me to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

MD1983 wrote: »
    http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

it hasnt hurt my swimming Kurt.

When i started swimming first a few years ago i could only freestyle 25m and then would have to rest and then do another length. my sprint times were over 20 mins for the swim, i was an appalling swimmer.

that winter i swam on my own and used the bouy and paddles a lot and improved significantly, i did the 3km swim in athy in 58 mins.

i worked then with peter a bit and on my own for the next while and the next year did the 3km swim in 52 mins, again there was some use of pool toys.

this year with more swimming and use of pool toys i was down to 47 mins for the 3km swim in athy and was 3rd out of the swim. i have improved more since athy and i think next year i will do that same race and if conditions are similar beat 47 mins and be at the front again.

why wouldnt i use them?! some tools make swimming easier but also bands only makes it harder

around athy this year i took on a coach to help with my training, i was most concerned with improving my run which was why i wanted the help, but his training has me using the swim tools too so i dont think its a bad thing.

its all about swimming well in a wetsuit for me, i think the tools allow me to do that

I guess I asked as so much paddles is unconventional- but one look at your results says all that needs to be said.

A guy I swim with was all about paddles, B&B, up until last year when he started doing more straight sets. His times got a lot slower.

What paddles do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Coach wouldn't happen to be a big lad from the north east?

Kurt - Finis Freestyler paddle although he wants me to get TYR Catalyst

RJM85 - no not a big guy from the North East - a tall skinny guy in lazarote! http://theironcouple.com/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Paddles, and B&B can develop great strength, maybe not speed, but if your swim goals are 1.5k - 3.8k or longer then a healthy dose of paddle work and specific 3rd phase development work can yield great results over a hard winter and lock in that endurance for the longer swims when fatigue threatens to destroy form.

Excellent progression MD, have you done an IM swim yet and if yes have you cracked the hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

That's impressive swim progression.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Paddles, and B&B can develop great strength, maybe not speed, but if your swim goals are 1.5k - 3.8k or longer then a healthy dose of paddle work and specific 3rd phase development work can yield great results over a hard winter and lock in that endurance for the longer swims when fatigue threatens to destroy form.

Excellent progression MD, have you done an IM swim yet and if yes have you cracked the hour?

No Ironman yet, next year i think i will. i think i will swim under the hour but i wouldnt get upset about it if i didnt. aside from athy where i was on my own i would typically swim hard as i can at the start and then draft so that led to 2 HIM swims this year in 28 and 29 mins and each swim and i was very comfortable, so hopefully the IM will work out just like that but for longer

• Advertisement

Friday
    run
    10 mins w/u
    10*3 mins solid 1 easy
    c/down

Sat
    steady 4hr 20 bike

Sun
    90 min steady hilly run
    1km swim