Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballpark figures for a new fuse box?

Options
  • 03-12-2013 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Just had a survey done on the house we're buying and they advise updating the fuse box. It's probably 20-25 years old, but the house is in very good shape and hopefully the wiring is OK for another while. Any ideas what kind of budget we need to have in mind - just roughly? It's a small bungalow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

In and around 300 euro supply and fit. If the wiring is 25years old, by right it probably needs updating. They weren't too fond of earths back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Mine was €400 last year 3bed terrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thanks! The surveyor was optimistic about the wiring but we would certainly have it looked at. What would be a ballpark figure for that I wonder? 70sqm, 2 bed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The ballpark numbers above make sense if there are no surprises.
    I would have said at least €400 to €500 including certification.
    Note: I don't do this type of work.

Without a lot more information "ballpark" quotes for a rewire would be meaningless. I would be a bit like asking for a ballpark price for a family car.

Provide some more details and someone may be able to assist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

That's true. To explain, we are budgeting for a couple of things including floors, heating upgrade etc. and we are trying to get just some very general idea first - to split them into phases based on cost ranges. Some of them I can estimate pretty well but it's the likes of wiring and heating that are difficult to price and describe without asking someone to come in - the work might be months or years away though so we're trying to paint some picture before that.
    It's a basic setup of a house with no fancy features at all so not sure what kind of information would be helpful. I was hoping for someone saying how much it cost them to rewire a small bungalow recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mhge wrote: »
    That's true. To explain, we are budgeting for a couple of things including floors, heating upgrade etc. and we are trying to get just some very general idea first - to split them into phases based on cost ranges. Some of them I can estimate pretty well but it's the likes of wiring and heating that are difficult to price and describe without asking someone to come in - the work might be months or years away though so we're trying to paint some picture before that.
    It's a basic setup of a house with no fancy features at all so not sure what kind of information would be helpful. I was hoping for someone saying how much it cost them to rewire a small bungalow recently.

Sometimes bungalows are the easiest type of house to wire. If there is no floor in the attic and no installation but you plan to do both, I'd advise to get the place rewired, nice clean and free attic the cables will fly in cost effective if you can spare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

what paperwork is required now to cover the installation when sold

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

what paperwork is required now to cover the installation when sold

None. A house can be sold with the wiring in a mess and no cert.
    It happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

2011 wrote: »
    None. A house can be sold with the wiring in a mess and no cert.
    It happens all the time.

you sure

i don't think that was the case when i was registered

i used to be asked regularly to supply certs for estate agents and sellers..which i didn't bother with

you sure

i don't think that was the case when i was registered

i used to be asked regularly to supply certs for estate agents and sellers..which i didn't bother with

This is a customer/estate agent being smart and asking for it when buying a house. Some people selling a house know that a home is more attractive if it comes with a valid completion certificate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement