Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost involved in using an AIB debit card in the UK?

Options
  • 03-12-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Is anyone aware of the cost involved in using an AIB debit card in the UK to withdraw money at an atm?

Please note that this is a graduate account which is exempt from maintenance and transactions fees.

Wondering what other charges may still apply for the use of my debit card abroad?

Will the debit card on a graduate account still be subject to a cash withdrawal commission fee and a currency conversion fee?

I have referred to AIB's guide to fees and charges for personal accounts online but it doesn't stipulate whether the fees for card usage abroad apply to graduate accounts.

I am assuming that the currency conversion fees will apply but not so sure about commission.

Just some background info:
    I will be relocating back to the UK for work shortly and need to make an international transfer to my account there. The transfer is going to be too time consuming and I will need access to the funds urgently at the end of this week in order to pay a security deposit and rent upfront on a new tenancy.

As I have arranged some viewings and hope to secure a room in a houseshare very soon, I am concerned about being able to pay my holding deposit etc urgently.

I realise now that if I go ahead with the international transfer online that I will need to pay my rent before that transfer has fully processed. So I'm trying to figure out what my best options are for transferring or taking the money with me for use in the UK.

So far my options are take cash, use the debit card to withdraw money there and incur charges or else to just take limited cash for expenses and if possible offer to pay the rent by means of international transfer - this will mean delayed payment of rent and likely delayed moving date. I will be staying short term in a budget hotel so the sooner I can secure somewhere and pay my rental deposit the better.

Using the debit card abroad to withdraw the funds seemed like my best option given the urgency but would like some idea of charges etc. So if anyone can advise me before I can get through to AIB by phone tomorrow that would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Earthyte

AIB say over the telephone that the only associated charge with this type of transaction (ie withdrawal from a UK atm) is the commission charge which will be a percentage of the euro value and will be set at a maximum of €6.35.

And of course the rate of whatever the euro value will be on the day.

They say there would be no currency conversion fee but the website says otherwise so it's still a bit unclear what exactly I would get charged.

qI4f4KH.png

Advertisement