Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Query

Options
  • 03-12-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I just got a little car for myself but tax has been out of date since January 2013. I am still waiting for the change of ownership form to get back to me (think it can take up to 2 weeks). I am driving the car at the moment, as I have no other means of transport, both tax & NCT (booked for late December) are out of date. Is it possible to pay for 3 months tax online (December, January, February), before I receive change of ownership form in the mail? :confused:
    THanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Your taking a big risk driving a car with no NCT or Tax. At the VERY least book an NCT and have a confirmation email in the glove box. Most Gardai will give you some grace if you can prove you recent bought the car and are waiting on a log book (i.e. Some form of proof of sale, receipt, photocopy of log book etc) But if you have no tax or NCT, you won't be getting much sympathy. By the letter of the law, the car shouldn't be on the road at all. Remember that! Any grace you get is human compassion.

And no, you can't tax it online the first time I believe as a new owner. So you'll need to wait for the log book. Boggles the mind why you can't include a payment with a transfer of ownership in cases such as this if the tax is close to date / expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Onslo

OK..Thanks for your response Ironclaw..kinda s*itting a brick now..I have been avoiding most main roads, and drive only when necessary. I've no confirmation from NCT about test. I'll give them a bell tomorrow and ask them to email me. I read on here somewhere that someone (somehow) managed to pay for and get their new motor tax disc sent to them, even BEFORE the change of ownership form was sent back to them - I can't for the life of me find this post, I read it within the last week or so.

Thanks again for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

If you're stopped by the guards the date on your insurance disc will show you only got the car recently and are waiting for the log book. I would however get a confirmation text or email that you have an NCT booked.

In theory you are breaking the law but in practice 99% of guards will wave you on 100% in my experience and I've been in this position many many times but I suppose there's always one.

Advertisement