Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA AGM rules/conventions query

• 03-12-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi fellow GAA heads,
    Have a query on event at a recent club agm,my brother was going forward for a position,is interested in getting involved as playing days over,at previous meeting to AGM some of older committee members had asked him to go forward for position 'x'....he was assured outgoing incumbent was taking another role so he agreed,then at AGM under nominations his name and incumbents were down...
    ......he presumed this was to make it look like a few in for job:)...but lo and behold when election of officers was on old post holder pipes up that he would like to stay in role after the brother had said he was happy to let his name forward.....secret ballot ensued and the brother lost...
    He felt embarrassed(so would I) as he was ' headhunted' for post by oul lads in club....obviously old officer had rethink and wanted to stay....brother was caught on hop,didnt vote in secret ballot,noticed that a few guest speakers;not club members) got a vote in ballot.....
    Am no expert on AGM etiquette but surely outside speakers(one former co board man included) should not have had vote in a club AGM
    Secondly could the brother have voted for himself in secret ballot??
    ..........he's a quiet lad so won't make an issue of it but I will be letting Chairman know it was a shoddy affair,really appreciate advice on proper AGM voting etiquette etc.......cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Only paid up members of the club are entitled to vote. Yes, of course your brother could have voted for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barticus

Unfortunately this type of thing happens often. I'd say the aul lads that told your brother to go forward for the job just wanted to oust the other man. The incumbent obviously wasn't aware of plans to get rid of him. Its always better in situations like this to have a quiet word with whomever you are replacing etc before the elections. It gives you an insight in the workload etc of the job. I know its hindsight but this could be a valuable lesson for your brother.

On your second point, your brother could've voted for himself, no problem In my own club, only members that are fully paid up by 31st March are entitled to vote. Certainly not guest speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thanks for both of your replies, I would agree that bro should gave sussed out previous post holder before AGM but he made mistake of taking advice of the 'headhunters' ' at face value
    ....as I said to him it's typical parish pump politics in GAA....he is sure the guest speakers voted so I'm going to make it clear in a subtle manner that some of committee at club top table would want to do a crash course in how to run an AGM properly:)

Advertisement