Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

controlling oil

• 03-12-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,
    I have a very oily t-zone which causes my make up around that area to move and melt off throughout the day. I'm using an oil control facial scrub by simple twice a day, I use garnier mattifying moisturizer on my t-zone and simple light moisturiser on the rest of my face as this can get quite dry, both applied morning and night. I bought benefit porefessional and while I have seen an improvement, by 3 o clock my make up is looking pretty bad and can be hard to salvage without looking cakey.I was looking at urban decay de slick setting spray... Anybody have any experience with this product? Or have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I wouldn't use a scrub twice a day - even if it's a Simple one for oil control, your skin is just going to produce more oil to compensate. Haven't tried the setting spray, but if the oil is forming under the makeup I don't know how much a spray on top could do...

I have pretty oily skin, and all Simple products I've used made it worse (to be fair, I haven't met anyone else who had that though). I use Neutrogena facewashes and a No7 mattifying base between moisturiser and foundation. What makeup do you use? Clinique are pretty good for mattifying foundations I've found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Once I stopped using face scrubs/washes/wipes etc my face stopped being so oily. Could have just been a coincidence, but I think not!

Some suggestions of products that I used to use when I had oily skin are:

Loreal Studio Secrets primer. Definitely the best primer for oily skin.
    Most Olay moisturisers for oily skin.
    Mac blotting powder is also great. Worth the price!

What foundation do you use? The No7 Beautifully Matte foundation is brilliant!

Clinque Anti-Blemish solutions is very good too.
    I got the Clinique Stay-Matte foundation over the summer and it was awful! Very very cakey and totally dried out my skin. Your skin would need to be seriously oily for it! And has bad coverage too. Shame because the shade I got it in was perfect for my skin tone!

I have heard that Urban Decay spray stuff is fairly crap..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 purpleturtle21

I wouldn't use a scrub twice a day - even if it's a Simple one for oil control, your skin is just going to produce more oil to compensate. Haven't tried the setting spray, but if the oil is forming under the makeup I don't know how much a spray on top could do...

I have pretty oily skin, and all Simple products I've used made it worse (to be fair, I haven't met anyone else who had that though). I use Neutrogena facewashes and a No7 mattifying base between moisturiser and foundation. What makeup do you use? Clinique are pretty good for mattifying foundations I've found.

Well I've heard of people using the spray under and over their make up so was considering that..
    What is this mattifying base?? Is it like a primer? Unfortunately clinique is out of my budget for a foundation :-(

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Once I stopped using face scrubs/washes/wipes etc my face stopped being so oily. Could have just been a coincidence, but I think not!

Some suggestions of products that I used to use when I had oily skin are:

Loreal Studio Secrets primer. Definitely the best primer for oily skin.
    Most Olay moisturisers for oily skin.
    Mac blotting powder is also great. Worth the price!

What foundation do you use? The No7 Beautifully Matte foundation is brilliant!

Clinque Anti-Blemish solutions is very good too.
    I got the Clinique Stay-Matte foundation over the summer and it was awful! Very very cakey and totally dried out my skin. Your skin would need to be seriously oily for it! And has bad coverage too. Shame because the shade I got it in was perfect for my skin tone!

I have heard that Urban Decay spray stuff is fairly crap..

That's interesting... So what do you use to clean your face/remove make up?
    I'll keep my eye out for that primer :-) it's just getting quite frustrating because I'm not bad at doing make up (if I do say so myself) but it just won't last through the working day... I'm a nurse working 9-5, so you can imagine what I look like after a 12hour shift!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Scrubbing your face twice a day isn't helping your skin at all. A gentle cleanser is all you need for everyday, then maybe use the scrub 2-3 times a week. I think, generally speaking, any facewash that's geared towards oily skin will be too harsh on your skin, leading to more oiliness.

I find that my oily skin gets worse in winter when I'm going between cold windy weather outside and buildings with the heating on. Having well-moisturised skin does help though. I use Smashbox Photo Finish primer for oily skin and I find it great. I'm using a tester of Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra 24h foundation, which doesn't have a heavy, matte finish but lasts all day. It's pricey though; a cheaper alternative might be Revlon Colorstay (it could be too heavy though) or the No7 foundation that another poster mentioned. I always keep powder nearby during the day; a Catrice one does the job for me but I've heard that Urban Decay's Naked powder is supposed to be excellent.

I feel your pain; oily skin is a nightmare to deal with. But sometimes it's worth spending a little more to find a routine that works. And don't be afraid to ask for testers for premium foundations before you buy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Porridge77

I have been doing a lot o research into this too. I have an oily tzone, but would have dry skin on the rest of my face, and a few weeks back I got the Clarins Lotus Oil and I use this just on my tzone nightly, after I applied some toner on the area. The girl on the Clarins counter gave me a sample of the toner which you really need to use with this oil, in order to allow the oil to penetrate you pores.

A few weeks in & I fine it great.

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_123104002999_-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That's interesting... So what do you use to clean your face/remove make up?

I use a cleansing cream with cotton wool! Been using a nivea one for a while now and it's perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Well I've heard of people using the spray under and over their make up so was considering that..
    What is this mattifying base?? Is it like a primer? Unfortunately clinique is out of my budget for a foundation :-(

Yeah, I use it as a primer, I only put it on the bits that get shiny though because it doesn't absorb very quickly. It's this

No7 foundation is grand too, I'm using it at the moment but it doesn't stay put as well, will be going back to Clinique when this one is used up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Hi all,
    I have a very oily t-zone which causes my make up around that area to move and melt off throughout the day. I'm using an oil control facial scrub by simple twice a day, I use garnier mattifying moisturizer on my t-zone and simple light moisturiser on the rest of my face as this can get quite dry, both applied morning and night. I bought benefit porefessional and while I have seen an improvement, by 3 o clock my make up is looking pretty bad and can be hard to salvage without looking cakey.I was looking at urban decay de slick setting spray... Anybody have any experience with this product? Or have any suggestions?

I have similar skin to yourself and I'm also a beauty therapist, make up artist and beauty blogger so hopefully my advice will help you..

Firstly avoid the scrub twice daily and only use it 2-3 times per week as another boardsie above suggested. Over exfoliation just equals more oil production, so it's quite counter-productive.

Instead of using two separate moisturisers use one designed for combination skin. The best inexpensive one I've come across is La Roche Posay Effaclar but if you have a bigger budget get the Ren one, they sell it in M&S and Arnotts and Clerys, it's called T-Zone gel cream or something to that description. Because it's a gel cream it will nourish dehydrated areas but balance your oilier regions.

My biggest bit of advice is DON'T use night cream. Just cleanse and tone your skin before bed and leave it bare. In the morning do a quick tone and apply your moisturiser.

Make-up wise I wouldn't recommend setting sprays as most of them don't really work and are made for people with drier skin types. Instead look at the foundation you're using rather than focusing on primers. Personally I don't like Benefit products, I find them very gimmicky and more packaging focused as opposed to effective products. Try get a medium coverage oil-free foundation, look at Revlon for inexpensive and if your budget is bigger then Laura Mercier Oil-Free or Make Up Forever HD are all brilliant. If you still want a primer try Smashbox or Laura Mercier (oil free version) and only apply it to your oily spots.

To make your make up go the extra mile use a pressed powder such as the one by L'Oreal or Rimmel and again if you've a bigger budget Laura Mercier (their products really are great) pressed mineral powder or foundation powder.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need any more help/recommendations!

Thanks so much guys!! I've bought a cleanser and toner and an going to change up my skin care routine. Should this fail, I will start trying out some of the product recommendations :-) have a great list of products!

• Advertisement

beauty101 wrote: »
    I have similar skin to yourself and I'm also a beauty therapist, make up artist and beauty blogger so hopefully my advice will help you..

Firstly avoid the scrub twice daily and only use it 2-3 times per week as another boardsie above suggested. Over exfoliation just equals more oil production, so it's quite counter-productive.

Instead of using two separate moisturisers use one designed for combination skin. The best inexpensive one I've come across is La Roche Posay Effaclar but if you have a bigger budget get the Ren one, they sell it in M&S and Arnotts and Clerys, it's called T-Zone gel cream or something to that description. Because it's a gel cream it will nourish dehydrated areas but balance your oilier regions.

My biggest bit of advice is DON'T use night cream. Just cleanse and tone your skin before bed and leave it bare. In the morning do a quick tone and apply your moisturiser.

Make-up wise I wouldn't recommend setting sprays as most of them don't really work and are made for people with drier skin types. Instead look at the foundation you're using rather than focusing on primers. Personally I don't like Benefit products, I find them very gimmicky and more packaging focused as opposed to effective products. Try get a medium coverage oil-free foundation, look at Revlon for inexpensive and if your budget is bigger then Laura Mercier Oil-Free or Make Up Forever HD are all brilliant. If you still want a primer try Smashbox or Laura Mercier (oil free version) and only apply it to your oily spots.

To make your make up go the extra mile use a pressed powder such as the one by L'Oreal or Rimmel and again if you've a bigger budget Laura Mercier (their products really are great) pressed mineral powder or foundation powder.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need any more help/recommendations!

Thanks so much for your post, and I may just take you up on your offer from advice should I need it. Very kind of you :-)

Advertisement