Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about wired vs wifi speeds.

• 03-12-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

Can I ask what is probably a very stupid question?

I got a new PS4 and am trying to get the best possible network connection. If I connect the PS4 to my router via wifi the internet connection test tells me I get 12Mbps down and 2Mbps up.

If I do a speed test on my Macbook via wifi on speedtest.net from the same location in the house I regularly get around 27Mbps down and 3Mbps up.

I tried some TP Link 200 MBPS powerline adapters. Both plugs connected into sockets on the wall, not into multi-adapters. I used them to connect the PS4 via ethernet. Now I get 9Mbps down and 1.3Mbps up. Both figures are less than on wifi.

Now here is the question that is probably obvious. Am I better with the wired connection even though it has lower results because of the simple fact it is wired? Or better off sticking with wifi?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

That's very strange that you're getting less from the TP Links via ethernet than you are on wireless. There should be little to no loss via ethernet with those than there would if you were wired straight into the router. At least that's the case for me all over the house. Unless you have some serious interference on your wiring in the house.

What results do you get when wired straight into the router? Also try to use the Enniskillen server on speedtest.net, I find all the other Irish ones unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Blade wrote: »
    That's very strange that you're getting less from the TP Links via ethernet than you are on wireless. There should be little to no loss via ethernet with those than there would if you were wired straight into the router. At least that's the case for me all over the house. Unless you have some serious interference on your wiring in the house.

What results do you get when wired straight into the router? Also try to use the Enniskillen server on speedtest.net, I find all the other Irish ones unreliable.

I'll have to try find a longer ethernet cable if I'm to test the PS4 wired directly to the router.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I'll have to try find a longer ethernet cable if I'm to test the PS4 wired directly to the router.

Well I meant from your macbook on speedtest.net Enniskillen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Blade wrote: »
    Well I meant from your macbook on speedtest.net Enniskillen.

With a wired connection to Enniskillen I'm getting 20.98Mbps down and 3.17Mbps up. Normally it is in the high 20s.

With a wired connection to Enniskillen I'm getting 20.98Mbps down and 3.17Mbps up. Normally it is in the high 20s.

Sounds like your connection is a bit iffy too, if you're getting 20 wired to the router one minute and 27 by wifi in a different location. There's no problem with the Enniskillen server as I just tested it there too.

I think you should try and find out what the problem is as there should be little or no difference using ethernet to the router and ethernet to the TP link in another room. Might be something plugged in somewhere causing major interference or very bad old wiring in the house. I wouldn't use the PS4's speed tests as God only knows how and from where it's testing, stick with the macbook. I suppose for gaming Ping will be important to look at too, hopefully your wiring doesn't interfere with that too. Again ethernet should be better for that too.

My TP's made no difference to ping or download speeds via ethernet and mine are even plugged into multi socket adapters with a load of other plugs which as you know they say not to do. By wireless via the TP's the speed is halved and the ping is sky high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Powerline ethernet is not "wired". Depending on the mains cables it may be slow, or very slow. Try a proper ethernet cable. Depending on the cable and the rest of the setup a cable could be capable of 1000Mb/s over 100M of cable

Advertisement