Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Tesco Coonagh Cross need a pest elimination company to remove feral cats?

• 03-12-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Tesco Coonagh Cross is using a pest elimination company to deal with feral cats around their store. This is despite an offer by Limerick Feral Cats, a voluntary organisation, to trap, neuter and relocate these cats.

Tesco is claiming that the cats, which are not entering the store, are a health and safety issue and have used these grounds in defence of their decision. They have also claimed that two cats were trapped recently and one was released into a nearby estate and the other sent to a farm :rolleyes:

Anyway there's a lively old debate onoing between Limerick Feral Cats and Tesco Ireland on Facebook here.

As for me I'm no longer buying my cat food or anything else from a retailer that considers cats as pests but is still happy enough to make profits selling food for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Feral cats are pests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Maybe to some, but that's not enough reason for a business to pay a pest control company to kill them, when a voluntary group is offering to trap, remove, neuter and relocate them humanely. Limerick Feral Cats had farm homes ready and waiting for these cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

boomerang wrote: »
    Maybe to some, but that's not enough reason for a business to pay a pest control company to kill them, when a voluntary group is offering to trap, remove, neuter and relocate them humanely. Limerick Feral Cats had farm homes ready and waiting for these cats.

Offering via facebook...

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen both sides of the story.

Offering in person to the store manager and deputy manager last Friday.

Maybe I'm just a cynic but these things usually have more to the story than just the initial angry mob facebook campaign..

This thread is a good example of what I'm talking about: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83600313
    Someone went on a crusade on social media with a completely one sided (and erroneous) version of events, and instead of checking the facts people became hysterical.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying the Limerick Feral Cats group are twisting the truth. I'm just saying that I don't know the truth and am going to reserve judgement until I do. I'm no lover of Tesco either believe me!!!

These types of 'lets all boycott xyz and we'll feel better' campaigns often seem to me like pure self indulgence on behalf of the people who like to feel good about themselves by ranting on facebook! Liking and sharing a post isn't going to solve the problem. Getting off your backside and going down there and doing something about it might.

Also just from reading a little more in the fb group, they found homes for some of the cats after a similar incident in another store, then:
    returned the remainder to the store
    leaving a
    stable population of cats doing a useful job

Now that's hardly an acceptable solution for Tesco is it??

EDIT: That was a reply to a seemingly deleted post

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

im not a cat person but surelly killing them isnt an answer.................................. they arent actually rodents

can you not get things like high freq. things that keep cats away??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

can you not get things like high freq. things that keep cats away??

shotgun

(sorry couldnt resist)

betonit wrote: »
    shotgun

(sorry couldnt resist)

:D

Gunfade.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Before people start to criticise Tesco, the OH and I witnessed a very generous act of kindness from tesco (employee of tesco) helping an elderly lady with their shopping. They walked with her to her door (she lives across from the crescent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Tesco, as the occupier, is responsible for the health and safety of people on site. If these cats have been deemed to be a health and safety issue, Tesco will have to employ professionals to rectify the issue, engaging a group of cat lovers doesn't quite cut it if a liability issue were to arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

I've never 'got' cats...

I'm a pet (dog) owner, and a regular poster in the 'Animal and Pet Issues' forum but just don't understand why cats have such freedom...

I have to have a dog licence, scoop the poop or face a fine, be in control of my pet (extra restrictions on Restricted Breeds) and can only walk beaches at certain times and visit certain campsites...

But cats... Cats can be left roam, pïss, shít, trespass and do as they please... The shelters, etc are overflowing with unwanted litters. My dog is driven bananas daily by cats on the wall or up on the shed... They're a nuisance. And don't get me started on walking a dog with a very high 'prey drive' when a cat darts out in front of you...

And now back to the OP... And the feral cat problem being 'taken care of' by Tesco...

If a young kid or even adult was scratched or hurt by one of these pests, or picked up something nasty from its faeces - Tesco would be railroaded for not dealing with the issue.

Good on Tesco! Might help to curtail them multiplying...

Every litter helps! ;P

Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If I was Tesco management I wouldn't want the Limerick Feral Cats group around my business, they'd be an manky as the cats imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I'd imagine no sane business owner would allow volunteer group onto their premises to remove a pest. You'd be leaving yourself open to a whole world of trouble if there was an accident.

Hooked wrote: »

I've never 'got' cats...

And now back to the OP... And the feral cat problem being 'taken care of' by Tesco...

So you think they might as well go ahead and kill the cats, rather than let a professional and willing voluntary group do the trapping for them, and relocate the neutered, flea and worm treated cats to farms where they are wanted?

I've never 'got' pet owners whose compassion only extends to their own animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

Hooked wrote: »
    I've never 'got' cats...

I'm a pet (dog) owner, and a regular poster in the 'Animal and Pet Issues' forum but just don't understand why cats have such freedom...

I have to have a dog licence, scoop the poop or face a fine, be in control of my pet (extra restrictions on Restricted Breeds) and can only walk beaches at certain times and visit certain campsites...

But cats... Cats can be left roam, pïss, shít, trespass and do as they please... The shelters, etc are overflowing with unwanted litters. My dog is driven bananas daily by cats on the wall or up on the shed... They're a nuisance. And don't get me started on walking a dog with a very high 'prey drive' when a cat darts out in front of you...

If a young kid or even adult was scratched or hurt by one of these pests, or picked up something nasty from its faeces - Tesco would be railroaded for not dealing with the issue.

Every litter helps! ;P

Rant over!

The whole point of feral cats is they don't have an owner! Who do you want to get a licence for them? To be honest the fact that your dog has a high prey drive is your problem not the cats! You chose the dog knowing this!

I can assure you a feral cat would be very unlikely to scratch you. They actively hide from people, they would run from you.

The cat group are offering to neuter cats which will curtail them from multiplying just like you want. At least this way the poor cat doesn't lose it's life! Just because you don't like cats doesn't mean they are pests and should lose their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

ninty9er wrote: »
    Tesco, as the occupier, is responsible for the health and safety of people on site. If these cats have been deemed to be a health and safety issue, Tesco will have to employ professionals to rectify the issue, engaging a group of cat lovers doesn't quite cut it if a liability issue were to arise.

As other posters have said, these feral cats won't be going anywhere near shoppers.
    But of course using the 'health and safety' argument backed up of course by the 'liability' issue and you have a sure-fire winning argument. This is the excuse used by everyone who doesn't want to deal decently with a problem. "Oh it was a health and safety issue" A convenient argument to close down any thoughtful, viable alternative responses.
    Why are issues like insurance liability allowed to override compassion and decency?? It is this attitude that is responsible for a lot of the lunacy and misery in everyday life - we can't or won't do the decent thing because insurance companies tell us how we must behave - in case God forbid - we aren't insured. Sure kill a few cats, at least we won't be liable then ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I agree with you in many ways fleabag but when you have some people in society more than happy to try and gain financially as much as possible from any lability issue I can see why individuals and companies would want to reduce their exposure.

the whole phrase "liable" is a load of codswallop. as is the whole "Tesco, as the occupier, is responsible for the health and safety of people on site".

the fact is there are legal documents that are readily available to be signed that take away tescos resposibility in the event of any accidents in removing of the cats.

the fact is its quicker and easier for tesco to just wipe them out rather than wait for someone to come in and remove the cats one at a time

now while im not tescos biggest fan i dont think this is a tesco ltd. issue. this is a coonagh store issue. this is a decision by their store management and thats it.

i dont liev out there so i wont be using their store anyway but if people dont like it they can use dunnes jetland instead. write a couple of letters to their management etc but unfortuantaly bar bringing light to this incident they are likely to not give to s##ts. it sucks because surely it would be more hygienic not to have dead cats on the site but then again why let common sense get in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

there's a Limerick feral cats group on facebook?

thats the funniest thing i've read in ages!

Can't see any issue with what tesco are doing tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

the whole phrase "liable" is a load of codswallop. as is the whole "Tesco, as the occupier, is responsible for the health and safety of people on site".

the fact is there are legal documents that are readily available to be signed that take away tescos resposibility in the event of any accidents in removing of the cats.

the fact is its quicker and easier for tesco to just wipe them out rather than wait for someone to come in and remove the cats one at a time

now while im not tescos biggest fan i dont think this is a tesco ltd. issue. this is a coonagh store issue. this is a decision by their store management and thats it.

i dont liev out there so i wont be using their store anyway but if people dont like it they can use dunnes jetland instead. write a couple of letters to their management etc but unfortuantaly bar bringing light to this incident they are likely to not give to s##ts. it sucks because surely it would be more hygienic not to have dead cats on the site but then again why let common sense get in the way.

Do the Cat Busters have Public Liability Insurance?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Do the Cat Busters have Public Liability Insurance?

no idea and i very much doubt it. all im saying is that its not as complicated as its been made out to be.

what most likely happened is the management at the store(no need to be saying the name as its not the brand. its this one store) decided that this was the best way to get rid of the cats. i doubt he thought to himself it was inhuman or that he would upset anyone by these actions. when he was contacted by this group he probably just got defensive about it.

im sure he meant no harm what so ever(in terms of upsetting potential customers) but it got out of hand. surely a simple resolution could be found.

as i said its nothing to do with liability. its just a quickly used excuse that is used as a "go to".

by the way im sure there are no lethal pest controllers out there also who are legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss Congeniality

Hi Guys

Like others I was appalled by this - so I sent an email protesting this to tesco and received the following reply:
    " Dear Miss Congeniality

Thank you for your email.

Please let me explain.
    As you can understand for health & safety and food safety reasons we cannot have animals loose on our premises. In this particular instance, two cats have been removed from our store in Coonagh, one a local domestic cat was released off site in the area and the second was removed and taken to a farm in County Tipperary.
    Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Name of Customer service Agent "
    I'm not sure if this is true or not, but maybe it's been sorted??? :confused:

I'd love if someone from Limerick Feral Cats would comment and advise!!!

I'm not sure whether to believe it or not - it reminds me when you were younger and your parents would tell you "that fluffy has gone to live on a farm" when in fact she had gone to kitty heaven :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If I was Tesco management I wouldn't want the Limerick Feral Cats group around my business, they'd be an manky as the cats imo

That's a fcuking ridiculous and offensive post if I ever saw one. And if you knew some of the people who actually volunteer, you'd understand why.

Judging someone's appearance based on their volunteer work? From what I can see from your posts, you sit at home, play games, listen to metal and like cars.

Does that mean you are stinking, greasy, spotty, leather/denim jacket-wearing, overweight, dirty nerd who has zero social skills?

Of course it doesn't. Would you feel offended that your offer to help was refused because you are known to play games and listen to metal, and someone judges what you look like based on what you choose to do with their time?

Yes, I volunteer to rescue animals. Yes I find your comment offensive. And funnily enough, if you did happen to see a few of the people that do volunteer, you'd rapidly change your tune. Not that it matters a damn, I know one girl is a model and another is stunning and is the gf of a famous rugby player.

Of course, that's not important. What's important is that they are getting off their holes to do something good for the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

boomerang wrote: »

why don't they just go down there aand take a few of the cats if they're that worried about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

FutureGuy wrote: »
    That's a fcuking ridiculous and offensive post if I ever saw one. And if you knew some of the people who actually volunteer, you'd understand why.

Judging someone's appearance based on their volunteer work? From what I can see from your posts, you sit at home, play games, listen to metal and like cars.

Does that mean you are stinking, greasy, spotty, leather/denim jacket-wearing, overweight, dirty nerd who has zero social skills?

Of course it doesn't. Would you feel offended that your offer to help was refused because you are known to play games and listen to metal, and someone judges what you look like based on what you choose to do with their time?

Yes, I volunteer to rescue animals. Yes I find your comment offensive. And funnily enough, if you did happen to see a few of the people that do volunteer, you'd rapidly change your tune. Not that it matters a damn, I know one girl is a model and another is stunning and is the gf of a famous rugby player.

Of course, that's not important. What's important is that they are getting off their holes to do something good for the city.

Jesus man it as just a joke, you'd wanna relax.

Grab yourself some chamomile tea why don't you.

why don't they just go down there aand take a few of the cats if they're that worried about them

Much better idea. Fix the problem instead of making a song and dance and liking each others comments on fb!

Much better idea. Fix the problem instead of making a song and dance and liking each others comments on fb!

Fixing the problem since 2011 - over 1,000 cats neutered and about 10% of those relocated to farm homes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Jesus man it as just a joke, you'd wanna relax.

Grab yourself some chamomile tea why don't you.

Hilarious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: This thread stays civil or gets closed. Further baiting or trolling will see more cards handed out.

Advertisement