Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building manager issue

• 03-12-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I moved out of an apartment last Friday having lived there for nearly 2 years.

I had a very distant relationship with my landlord, I payed him the rent, if something went wrong we verified it with the letting agent (who wasn't engaged as the property manager but did some basics as a courtesy) and we then just got whatever we needed fixed and deducted cost from the next months rent. A fairly standard arrangement.

At times however the building manager proved difficult. He would change the door codes every so often, and refuse to provide us with the new ones, claiming that he will only deal with the landlord. Luckily our neighbours were friendly and would always share them with us.

I believe the issue is that my landlord was behind on his management fees, and the building manager was using whatever leverage he could to get those fees.

So I went to move out, Friday afternoon I rang the building manager to ask him for my ESB reading so I could close the account. He refused, said he wasn't obliged to and said he would only talk to the letting agent or landlord. They have both made contact with him and he is still refusing. My guess is it's the fees.

My problem is that now I have moved into my new apartment, I am still on the hook for the old electricity service, and I can't take on my new account with the ESB until the old one is closed. The landlord and agent are being very helpful, and they're all talking about various complaints to PSRA and all sorts, but my problem is I have an ESB bill racking up in an apartment I no longer live in, and I haven't a clue what to do?

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Send an estimate to the ESB based on your last bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Usually all the meters are in a communal area that the residents have access too. Where are the meters in your previous apartment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Consider closing the account? https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/business/manage-your-account/closing-your-account.jsp

And let the building manager know that either he transfers the account out of your name, or you close the account. The €200 reconnection fee isn't your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Cut off the supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

its understandable why the company wants to do this as a non fee paying unit owner is a parasite who enjoys service levels without having to pay. It is never good when tenants are used as leverage but that's the way it goes. Any new tenant coming in will have trouble getting the reading as I would imagine access will be refused. AN apartment without electricity can be a very depressing place. Quite right as well. The lease generally permits free access, and this will include meter rooms however, this will be conditional upon payment of all service fee's. If the landlord cannot rent his unit he may start to re-think his approach to using the management company like a welfare state where he makes withdrawals at his leisure at every one else's expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,613 ✭✭✭✭ted1

its up to you to get the meter reading. it should be in communal area

Advertisement