Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse Collection - Are you Moving

Options
  • 03-12-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

That time of year where I think most accounts are coming to an end, so will you stay put or move.

Our situation:

Residents 2
    Company: Oxigen
    Satisfaction with service: Excellent.
    Charges: €160 fixed charge plus €9.50 black bin, €4 green bin. Brown bin free.
    Notice of Increase in bin tag charges this year: No notice but Black bin increased by .50c

Our cost estimate for current year for 2 people is:

Fixed charge €160
    €13.50 in bin tags x 18 wks = €243 (estimate)

Total for Year: €403

For a light use household that doesn't sound like good value.

City bin in Dublin are only charging €12.50 per month, total pa €150 for light use and not being hard if you over fill your bin.

I reckon if we went to refuse bank in garage once a week it would only cost us for the year 5 x 52 = €260

What is your situation?

Copy n paste the area in green if you like and edit to suit your situation to make it handy for you to post quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Oxigen, €20 per month, no charge per bin. 1 large black and green bin collected on rotating weeks. €240 per year all in, really cant argue with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waste Pal Pay per Empty

6.50 month standing charge

Black Bin 11.50 per lift
    Green Bin 3.00 per lift
    Brown Bin* 8.00 per lift (*mine is a big one ex Corpo, the Waste Pal supplied brown bin is only 140 ltr) .

I empty the black one 4 times a year, the green one 5 times a year and the brown one about 12 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Waste Pal €23.50 per month, paid monthly, service excellent.

Every second week, black bin / brown bin + Green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

KevIRL wrote: »
    Oxigen, €20 per month, no charge per bin. 1 large black and green bin collected on rotating weeks. €240 per year all in, really cant argue with that

Im with oxigen too but we also have a brown bin, and they charge us €24 per month for the 3!,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Is there any value in the diy bins?do you have them in Waterford ?you just bring your own rubbish filled black bag to a big skip/bin located around the town.6 euro for two decent sized bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Is there any value in the diy bins?do you have them in Waterford ?you just bring your own rubbish filled black bag to a big skip/bin located around the town.6 euro for two decent sized bags.

Find this great value. Only €5 a month for our rubbish in the Big Bin in Ferrybank... Free recycling in Newrath on a Saturday... We live in the middle of nowhere up a Lane so handier bringing it to the Big Bin than dragging a wheelie bin up and down the lane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterford has those self service bins in a few places, you can only get one full standard big bag plus a half filled bag in for €5

mike65 wrote: »
    Waterford has those self service bins in a few places, you can only get one full standard big bag plus a half filled bag in for €5

Ah you'd get a good bit more into them with a bit of persuasion... If you keep the bags small you will fill in the empty space far better than putting in really full bags

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

We are with greenstar 241 for the year black bin one week green and brown the second week . we find them very reliable and if you have extra rubbish that wont fit in the bin you can leave it out and they take it away for no extra charge. and no tags

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Where is this? I always have loads of recycling and cant risk leaving it beside the bin.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Where is this? I always have loads of recycling and cant risk leaving it beside the bin.

Down where the county council offices are... Saturday 10 - 3... Not certain on the times but someone might correct me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Our situation:

Residents 5
    Company: Oxigen
    Satisfaction with service: Excellent.
    Bins: Very Large (240L ?) ex City Council black, green, brown.
    Charges: No fixed charge. I pay them €75 per quarter.
    Quarterly bill has increased in past few months from €66 pq. Flexible payment "on account" monthly quarterly, whatever , if needed

Our cost estimate for current year for 5 people is:

Total for Year: €300

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

2 people in the house, bring 2 80L bags down to the Big Bin in Ferrybank once a month, so €5 x 12 = €60 for the year. Happy out bai!

2 people in the house, bring 2 80L bags down to the Big Bin in Ferrybank once a month, so €5 x 12 = €60 for the year. Happy out bai!

Do you get away without needing to go to the recycling place too?

Only 2 people in our house but have bags of recycling once a month too for Newrath

Do always bring home a cardboard box from Aldi as I'm too lazy to bring in bags so that does add to our recycling load!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yup. I asked one of the reps when i used to go to the one on the Cork Road, he was asking me would one be useful in Ferrybank. I asked him is there anything you can't put in there, and he said no!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Is there a paper bank there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

I was with mr binman. I then contacted Waste pal. I enquired but then told them i would not sign up, i them got a phone call saying a lorry would call to collect my bins as i was cancelling.

I told them i bought the bins from city council,

3 days later waste pall in my back yard trying to take bins.

Fffs told him to go away. They r not waste pal bins. Just as well i was there. The bins would have been taken.

Good to know if I every cancel, I have CC bins too and wastepal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Deisedayo wrote: »
    I was with mr binman. I then contacted Waste pal. I enquired but then told them i would not sign up, i them got a phone call saying a lorry would call to collect my bins as i was cancelling.

I told them i bought the bins from city council,

3 days later waste pall in my back yard trying to take bins.

Fffs told him to go away. They r not waste pal bins. Just as well i was there. The bins would have been taken.

Why would you be canceling waste pal if you didnt sign up for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

kryogen wrote: »
    Why would you be canceling waste pal if you didnt sign up for them?

Read the post again. I said i enquired abou waste pal a conversation. At end of conversation they asked for bank details. I said i didn not want to go with them. They sent out forms to sign after i told them i would not go with them them ! I got a fone call saying as i am cancelling they would collect their bins.

I was never their customer.

Found waste pal to be very pushy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭mac1961

Hi quick question someone might know, I was with Oxigen and got a better deal with greenstar so rang oxigen to cancel and I was told I had to give 30 days notice which I didn't know about, but it is in the terms and conditions so I said thats fine, but now I find out that during that 30 days notice that you have to pay for they don't actually collect your bins, your account is cancelled from the date you ring, is this normal???

mac1961 wrote: »
    Hi quick question someone might know, I was with Oxigen and got a better deal with greenstar so rang oxigen to cancel and I was told I had to give 30 days notice which I didn't know about, but it is in the terms and conditions so I said thats fine, but now I find out that during that 30 days notice that you have to pay for they don't actually collect your bins, your account is cancelled from the date you ring, is this normal???

You'd want a solicitor to understand this.
    4. Termination of Service

A).This Contract may be terminated by giving at least 30 days written notice either by email or letter. The company will only accept notification regarding change or cancellation of the customer contract from the householder and not from any unauthorised third parties.

B) The termination date of a contract must coincide with the last date of billing period. If a contract is terminated before the minimum contract term of 12 months , the following cancellation charges will apply; (i) early cancellation fee of €25 (ii) surcharge of €25 per bin for returning and cleaning the bins.

C). The company will only issue refunds on receipt of the required written termination notification (See 4(a))and the return of the company’s wheelie bins, empty of all waste. The refund claim period is valid for 30 days from the return date of the company’s wheelie bins.

D) Where a direct debit instruction is terminated before the final payment is made, the Customer is liable for a minimum charge of €100, or for all reasonable administration and legal costs incurred by the company in recovering your final payment.

F) An account will not be terminated until such time as the Oxigen wheelie bins are removed from the Customer’s premises and any monies owed on the account is paid in full.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    You'd want a solicitor to understand this.

I know lol. I gave 30 days notice on 14th Feb, had paid for February so they are looking for payment up to 15th March (which is the 30 days notice), and I didn't mind paying if they were going to collect my bins during that time, when I rang to ask I was told bins wont be collected as account was cancelled on 14th Feb. I have given companies 30 days notice before but the service was never withdrawn until the 30 days were up, so I don't know what oxigen are at here.

You said.
    I gave 30 days notice on 14th Feb,

They said:
    bins wont be collected as account was cancelled on 14th Feb.

Tell em to do one.... Tell em your going on the Joe Duffy/Billy McCarthy show if they refuse to provide you with a service while serving out the required notice period. Talk about tryin it on:mad:

That's the maddest thing I ever heard, imagine is you gave 30 days notice to eircom and they cut you off after the call and took the charge for the month.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    That's the maddest thing I ever heard, imagine is you gave 30 days notice to eircom and they cut you off after the call and took the charge for the month.

Exactly and that is what Oxigen are doing, they even had the nerve to send a guy around on the 5th March to collect bins that were not even theirs, also got a letter on 10th March to say they regret that my DD for March returned unpaid(glad I remembered to cancel that), another letter on 11th March looking for outstanding balance for payment up to 15th March.

Thanks guys for input, at least its not just me that thinks its strange, will head into their office and see what they have to say.

I'd love to see them try and stand by a policy like that.
    Of course there is no regulatory body for them so its buyer beware,but very interesting to know that this is how they think they can do business.

Ok went into their office on the Quay in Waterford and a different story, your bins will be collected during the 30 days notice, she said I should never of been told that the bins wouldn't be collected. Cant help but believe something dodgy was going on here, last bin collection was to be 15th March but they came to take back bins on 5th. Its sorted now anyway. Thanks for input guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Does anyone know what days Oxigen collects in Earlscourt?

Just moved there and am not sure. Haven't seen any particular bins out this week! Got a calendar from them, but it just differentiates from week to week whether its black or green/brown, it doesn't say what day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Does anyone know what days Oxigen collects in Earlscourt?

Just moved there and am not sure. Haven't seen any particular bins out this week! Got a calendar from them, but it just differentiates from week to week whether its black or green/brown, it doesn't say what day!

Thursday and you need to have them out for 7am

Advertisement