Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Dublin Friday

Options
  • 03-12-2013 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

We're in Dublin for the day Friday with our 8 year old.

Is it hectic up there with Christmas.

The missus wants to call to Ikea first, reckons it will take less than an hour. I said more like 3.

Any suggestions for the day? We,re going to a show that night, so nothing to taxing.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try tripadvisor.com. It is specifically for this sort of query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 GreenGrey

Ah yeah, just thought a bit of local advice, especially with it being so busy, would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I think it would depend what you want to do. The town is buzzing with Christmas spirit but walking around all day with a kid will be tiring for all involved.
    Are you bringing a car? Parking in town is expensive so something to consider would be a park and ride facility.

Ikea takes as long or as little as you like tbh. I've been in and out in 20 mins on some days others I've spent 3 - 4 hours there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ikea is definitely closer to 3 hours than 1 plus travel time in and out of the city centre.

The city is busier but if you can avoid the 12-2 lunchtime rush you'll be ok. There's a Christmas market type thing down near the O2 but reviews on here are mixed...check further down this forum for the thread.

Not sure of any other ideas..I'll be stuck at a desk :(

Cheers,

I know, I've been in and out myself fairly quickly. I have a sneaking suspision it may be different with herself and an 8 year with me.

Yeah we want to do something relaxing, would love a stroll around the city.

We are staying in hotel in the city so will probably use their parking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Well something really goofy would be the leprechaun museum up by the jervis shopping centre. I've never been there but some of my friends find it hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gertrude2

My offspring likes Kilmainham Gaol - You might want to check their website first, not sure about winter opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

If you just want to chill out and stroll around why not head up to Phoenix Park - lovely walks, see some wild deer or head to the zoo. You can even rent bikes. There are some lovely trails once you get off the main roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Or you could try the Viking Splash Tour? Nice way to see the city without having to walk, and it's good fun.
    Dublinia could be good too, if your 8 year old is in to that kind of thing.

Just another thought, if you're planning on going for dinner before the show, it's probably worth booking a table somewhere if you haven't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

nosietoes wrote: »
    If you just want to chill out and stroll around why not head up to Phoenix Park - lovely walks, see some wild deer or head to the zoo. You can even rent bikes. There are some lovely trails once you get off the main roads.

they took the reindeer in last week for their annual nose-painting too, I was up there talking to the park ranger as it was going on.

they paint red noses on about 5% of the deer, so the kids can have a bit of fun trying to spot "Rudolph".

It's all environmental- and animal-friendly paint, so there's no issues there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

they took the reindeer in last week for their annual nose-painting too, I was up there talking to the park ranger as it was going on.

they paint red noses on about 5% of the deer, so the kids can have a bit of fun trying to spot "Rudolph".

Haha, that's brilliant :D Never knew they do that, what a cool thing to do!

I'd second this for an idea if the weather is half-way decent - the park is looking splendiferous at the moment, you could easily waste half a day there. Town (IMO) is just a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

IKEA will take way longer than an hour so leave enough time for that.

I also think the Viking Splash Tour is great. I love the Little Museum of Dublin as well as there is always a good exhibition on and it is so central although I'm not sure how suitable for an 8-year old. The zoo is always a winner and you can spend as long as you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Just make sure your wife has written down exactly what you need from IKEA before heading out there! If you start browsing then you could be out there a while!

The phoenix park could be nice if it's not raining.

There is this Christmas Wonderland thing on out at the RDS.

http://www.christmaswonderland.ie/

Although it may be busy seeing as it only opens on Friday.

Maybe just spend the day in town browsing department stores and bring the kid to a few toy shops - I know that did me when I was 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

athtrasna wrote: »
    There's a Christmas market type thing down near the O2 but reviews on here are mixed...check further down this forum for the thread.

There's a carrousel and other rides there, might be fun for your 8yo. And lots of sweets :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What food do you and your family like? We can point you to somewhere nice to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

If you are staying overnight, I would have breakfast at your hotel and head to Ikea that morning - it opens at 10am, is relatively quiet at that time, and you could be in and out in an hour and a half, and still be on the road home by 11.30 - keep in mind that your wife may want to buy some 'stuff' (candles, no doubt - well that's what I always buy there!) and it might be an idea to get the stuff on the way home, rather than loading up the car on the way into the city etc.

I second the viking splash - I am a woman of a certain age, and brought my sis in law (60) and some kids along recently. It was the BEST fun we have all had in years - lasts over an hour, you get to see alot of the city, get into the water and the drivers are usually hilarious (I've been on this trip 3 times in the past 12 mths, always great fun).

I would then ramble around the city - showing your 8yr old the lights and the Xmas windows and just taking in the atmosphere of the stalls along Henry St...

There is nothing worse than stressing yourselves out on a short trip...keep it simple and enjoy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, the nice people at VisitDublin.com have put together a very good Christmas section.

http://www.visitdublin.com/see_and_do/events/Christmas/

The Christmas market at Dublin Castle sounds cool, for summit to do on Saturday morning before you leave.

If you are heading up to the park, have a think about doing it on the Saturday instead,. There is a Christmas Market and lots of kid friendly stuff on at Farmleigh House at the weekends.

http://www.farmleigh.ie/events/Title,25285,en.html

Thanks for all the ideas lads,

The reindeer idea is brilliant. What a fun thing to do. Might just do that. Never did the Viking splash so might do that to.

I'll have t to see if I can get out of IKEA, seems like lots going on.

We like all sorts of food. We love trying something new and my daughter loves trying new food, so any suggestions of something interesting would be great.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

You could eat in ikea too. Its grand. Cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Here's a few exoticish places, not your normal Chinese, good prices, good food.

Monty's of Kathmandu. www.montys.ie

Koh. www.koh.ie

Dada's. www.dadarestaurant.ie

777 (funky Mexican) www.777.ie (little bit pricier)

Enjoy the city and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Please tell me you didn't make this up? Have just told the girls I work with but I can't find a link or any photos to prove I'm not just mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'll be up in the PP tomorrow. I will venture forth to find out if this is true or not. I'm fascinated by the idea of real Rudolphs too. :confused:

Cheers for the tips everyone.

We had to cut things short so only had Friday up there. Had to leave at 8am on Saturday, so didn't get a chance to do much.

Needless to say IKEA took a lot longer than an hour!!

We got to get in a do a bit of shopping and a stroll around town. Had to get to hotel and get to show for 7.30pm so time was really against us.

Will probably head back up in Jan for the sales (without the daughter)

Cheers again

Advertisement