Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds want to open in Ballyphehane.

Options
  • 04-12-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

I see McDonalds has applied to the council for a new drive thru McDonalds at Musgrave Park in Ballyphehane. That should generate at least 50 jobs I would think. Any more word on the McDonalds in Ballincollig opening or even being built yet? It was given permission earlier this year to go ahead.

http://www.loadza.com/notices/planning-apps-815/50

CORK CITY COUNCIL McDonald's Restaurants of Ireland Limited intend to apply for permission for development on a 0.441 Ha site, approximately, located at Musgrave Park, Kinsale Road/Tramore Road, Ballyphehane, Cork City, Co. Cork. The proposed development will consist of: the provision of a single storey drive-thru restaurant (361 sq m) including the ancillary sale of hot food for consumption off the premises, incorporating an enclosed yard (65 sq m), with an overall gross floor area of 432 sq m. The development will also consist of: the demolition of an approximately 3m high wall (195m wide) along Kinsale Road and Tramore Road, and the construction of a new boundary treatment on the southern, eastern and western boundaries of the site comprising a stone wall and timber fence; provision of a new vehicular and pedestrian entrance to the site off the Kinsale Road; 65 No. car parking spaces (including 58 No. standard spaces, 3 No. disabled spaces, 3 No. parked order spaces and 1 No. set-down space); bicycle parking stands; a height restrictor; 2 No. customer order points with canopies; associated elevational and free-standing signage; hard and soft landscaping; and all ancillary and associated works. The planning application may be inspected or purchased at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy at the offices of the Planning Authority, City Hall, Cork, during its public opening hours. A submission or observation in relation to the application may be made in writing to the Planning Authority on payment of the prescribed fee of 20 within the period of 5 weeks beginning on the date of receipt by the Authority of the application.
    Posted: 20/11/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not a hope Dinos will let this happen. Mr Dino has far too much sway in thatparticular area for this to go ahead.

Not sure exactly where they want it though? Actually inside Musgrave Park or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

gimmick wrote: »
    Not a hope Dinos will let this happen. Mr Dino has far too much sway in thatparticular area for this to go ahead.

Not sure exactly where they want it though? Actually inside Musgrave Park or what?

The old CMP premises maybe on the corner there? That land has been flattened for a while now...ideal site for a drive through (if there is such a thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm surprised there's none in Wilton or Bishopscourt or somewhere around that direction.

You'd also think perhaps EastGate in little island would have been an obvious one where KFC Drive Thru located..

Or a Drive Thru at Mahon Point .. / within reach of it.

That being said, I don't think I'd be very execited about new MaccyD's.. Not my kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

AEDIC wrote: »
    The old CMP premises maybe on the corner there? That land has been flattened for a while now...ideal site for a drive through (if there is such a thing)

Munster rugby recently sold land at the corner where Musgrave park meets Tramore Rd and Kinsale Rd. Rumour has it that Musgrave's the wholesalers own the land where the old CMP plant was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

kub wrote: »
    Munster rugby recently sold land at the corner where Musgrave park meets Tramore Rd and Kinsale Rd. Rumour has it that Musgrave's the wholesalers own the land where the old CMP plant was.

Correct.

Munste Rugby sold the strip of land, behind the wall facing Blackwater motors, to Mackie D's. I guess they would just about squeeze a Drive-thru in there, but I would wonder what it'll do to traffic.

Perhaps MCD's will buy the vacant Vita Cortex site beside it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

blindsider wrote: »
    Correct.

Munste Rugby sold the strip of land, behind the wall facing Blackwater motors, to Mackie D's. I guess they would just about squeeze a Drive-thru in there, but I would wonder what it'll do to traffic.

Perhaps MCD's will buy the vacant Vita Cortex site beside it....

Is that where the trees are behind that wall? Shame that they'll have to be cut down.

I can't imagine they'd squeeze a drive through in there. Isn't there a Kitchen store in between that land and the Vita Cortex site?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

AEDIC wrote: »

I believe blackwater motors have planning for a showroom there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

if the strip intended is the one (it sounds like it is from the PP description of removing the wall) i can't imagine they'll get planning if the planner has an ounce of sense. won't it reek havoc on the junction a: on match days, and b: on mc donalds busy days! :eek:

283231.png

it will be a no go area if you are driving :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

ofcork wrote: »
    I believe blackwater motors have planning for a showroom there.

That is right I thought after they had moved into the old Turners Cross Motors premises and rented out one side of the old Kevin O Leary garage on the Back Douglas Road that they had shelved it but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

From that photo it just shows what a tight squeeze it would be to fit a drive through on that bit of land....crazy, and a massive traffic issue I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They sold that bit of land? Christ if you hit a wayward conversion back in the day against Dolphin or the Well it'd be on the road, can't imagine much property fitting in there.

It doesn't really make much sense to me. "If I ruled Munster Rugby...", I'd make do with one training pitch there. I'd turn the other 90 degrees, and move it a little bit away from Tramore Road. Then you'd have a lot more space along the Kinsale Road and Tramore Road so you could have sold more land for a bit of extra moolah. Plus the training pitch wouldn't be more squashed and you'd have more room around the main stadium for future expansion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Are people in the 'hane really so lazy that they won't drive the 10 minutes or so it takes to get to Douglas? I have my doubts. Wilton would be a much better location imho. Although Burger King tried that, to no avail.

That aside, that's a bonkers site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Apparently McD's have had meetings with the Planners and only bought the land AFTER the meeting.

It looks too small to me - but I suspect that the 2 pitches will be pulled back a few metres to allow a McD's to be shoe-horned in.

It looks too small to me, but I'm not an engineer or planner. I'd have thought that road is busy enough already w/o adding more traffic to it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

What's the story with the one planned for ballincollig?I'd love a drive thru nearer to me. Closest is Douglas I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rovoagho wrote: »
    Are people in the 'hane really so lazy that they won't drive the 10 minutes or so it takes to get to Douglas? I have my doubts. Wilton would be a much better location imho. Although Burger King tried that, to no avail.

Douglas in general is an absolute nightmare traffic wise. It puts me off going to mcdonalds because I can never be bothered with the traffic, and I'm only in turners cross. I'd welcome a drive thru somewhere else on the south side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Faith wrote: »
    Douglas in general is an absolute nightmare traffic wise. It puts me off going to mcdonalds because I can never be bothered with the traffic, and I'm only in turners cross. I'd welcome a drive thru somewhere else on the south side.

yes but now can you imagine the traffic backing up onto the tramore road/kinsale road like it does out of mcdonalds douglas carpark and out by the east village and some days even as far as the roundabout by dunnes.

at least in douglas it has three small (and avoidable) roads to back up before it hits another (avoidable) main road.

this will be smack bang at the corner of two main and busy roads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

hoodwinked wrote: »
    yes but now can you imagine the traffic backing up onto the tramore road/kinsale road like it does out of mcdonalds douglas carpark and out by the east village and some days even as far as the roundabout by dunnes.

at least in douglas it has three small (and avoidable) roads to back up before it hits another (avoidable) main road.

this will be smack bang at the corner of two main and busy roads.

You could well be right. I only pass through there to go to Aldi off-peak once a week, so I don't know how heavy the traffic is there already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

who_me wrote: »
    It doesn't really make much sense to me. "If I ruled Munster Rugby...", I'd make do with one training pitch there. I'd turn the other 90 degrees, and move it a little bit away from Tramore Road. Then you'd have a lot more space along the Kinsale Road and Tramore Road so you could have sold more land for a bit of extra moolah. Plus the training pitch wouldn't be more squashed and you'd have more room around the main stadium for future expansion.
    You need 2 pitches for both tenant clubs as well as all the South Munster and Munster finals at all levels that are played there.

Good for Munster Rugby that site is sold. Would be very surprised to see a drive thru fit in that small a site but then again I'm not a planner, developer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

rovoagho wrote: »

What are the details around the Burger King attempt? I was under the impression that BK St Patricks street has an exclusivity aggreement signed many years ago when BK only thought Cork was big enough for one location. I ask because I am a big BK fan and would love to know if there was a possibility of another some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Looks like it's going to eat into both pitches unless they decide to just survive with one

xTaMl01.jpg

Yeah, that looks significantly wider than the existing strip of land between the end of the in-goal area and the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Faith wrote: »
    You could well be right. I only pass through there to go to Aldi off-peak once a week, so I don't know how heavy the traffic is there already :)

I drive for a living, and am based very near to there. Traffic in that area is a shambles at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Have to lol at the concerned residents about litter, Ballyphehane tends to be pretty filthy as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Have to lol at the concerned residents about litter, Ballyphehane tends to be pretty filthy as it is.

That'll be the Freemen there - they don't recognise Irish Litter Laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That's a bit unfair. I'm not from ballyphehane and I don't live there but I never considered it filthy or even a litter blackspot.

Unless you mean parts of it near shops or fast food places which you could say about all parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

Hi, I'd have to agree with Ludo, Ballyphehane is no better or worse than other parts of the city. I live in Togher and don't see Ballyphehane as being filthy. Take note of the fact that Maccy D's engaged with the planning office prior to purchase, but didn't and won't engage with the residents of the local area, in which they wish to site their outlet. Puts a different side to the "caring" face they try to portray!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Traffic in that area is a shambles at peak times.

I assume they're trying to capitalise on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Not so. My impression, cycling and driving through Ballyphehane, is that the area is very litter free. If you want to see litter take a look at Douglas village any weekend - and a lot of it is fast food wrapping.

Advertisement