Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds want to open in Ballyphehane.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Not so. My impression, cycling and driving through Ballyphehane, is that the area is very litter free. If you want to see litter take a look at Douglas village any weekend - and a lot of it is fast food wrapping.

Its all McDonalds fault, wait and soon you'll see* :pac:

*completely joking of course

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Ever notice how it's always fat people in these places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Did you catch sight of yourself in the mirror when you were noticing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

According to the Cork Independent, the city council have granted permission to McDonalds to open at Musgrave Park with a few conditions including having to close at 10pm every night.

It also said a McDonald's drivethru is under construction in Ballincollig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

ongarboy wrote: »
    According to the Cork Independent, the city council have granted permission to McDonalds to open at Musgrave Park with a few conditions including having to close at 10pm every night.

Yeah, correct. Will have drive-thru and sit-down with 65 parking spaces. I think ground work has begun already. Site is 1 acre. Open 07.00-22.00, 7 days a week. I don't know but presume that the high (Musgrave Park) wall will be going and entry will be beside the Express Kitchen place across from the Great Gas service station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Lot of groundwork done on this now. Reckon it'll open by June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Their ballincollig branch officially open today.

McDonalds drive-thru now open on Kinsale Road alongside Musgrave Park according to Examiner. Apparently 400 applied for the 60 jobs offered.

http://www.mosgroup.ie/works-complete-at-mcdonalds-restaurant-kinsale-road-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

:mad:Damn!!!!! I was a month out!:mad:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I was in there last night. Seemed a bit small but was packed before the game at the cross, itll probably only get that busy before a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

.red. wrote: »
    I was in there last night. Seemed a bit small but was packed before the game at the cross, itll probably only get that busy before a match.

I can see it being busy on sat and Sunday afternoons with family's and with big industrial estates on tramore road, musgraves, a few estates across from centra I think it'll do a nice lunch time trade too

.red. wrote: »

An international billion dollar revenue operation like McDonalds would not just locate in an area where it would only get busy custom around matches or occasional situations.. They have done their market research to know that there will be consistent demand for their breakfast, lunch and evening business 7 days a week. McDonalds is a destination restaurant too so people not from the immediate area will take the spin over for their Big Mac also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I passed twice yesterday and looked busy enough both times (sunday morning and sunday evening). Plenty of cars going in and out. I'd say it will do very well there. And it will relieve some of the crowds from the Douglas outlet which can get very busy from the amount of cars usually around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

ongarboy wrote: »
    An international billion dollar revenue operation like McDonalds would not just locate in an area where it would only get busy custom around matches or occasional situations.. They have done their market research to know that there will be consistent demand for their breakfast, lunch and evening business 7 days a week. McDonalds is a destination restaurant too so people not from the immediate area will take the spin over for their Big Mac also.

I never said it wouldnt be busy, just that it wouldnt be as busy on a normal day as it would for a match at the cross.
    When i was in, there were people queing as far back as the entrance door and people who got their food were leaning against walls eating it. I had to hold my sons hand and lead him thru the crowd as we were leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

There was a notable amount of McD litter on Kinsale Rd. sunday morning, the owner should do a litter patrol if he wants to be a good neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

aujopimur wrote: »
    There was a notable amount of McD litter on Kinsale Rd. sunday morning, the owner should do a litter patrol if he wants to be a good neighbour.

What radius would you like them to cover, 1KM litter patrol?

aujopimur wrote: »

Maybe if the locals were good neighbours to begin with they wouldn't throw their rubbish on the roads. But sure easy to blame the new business providing jobs while ignoring to actual issue.

I used to walk home or other places regularly from Dinos or Zicos in Turners Cross when I was young. I did not throw the rubbish on the road as I was brought up not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Have to lol at the concerned residents about litter, Ballyphehane tends to be pretty filthy as it is.

Ballyphehane in general and Tramore rd in particular is the worst area I'm familiar with for dog sh!t, both in bags and not. Scooping dog crap into a bag and then throwing the bag on the ground, where it will last for months, shows a pretty weird mindset.

Ludo wrote: »
    I passed twice yesterday and looked busy enough both times (sunday morning and sunday evening). Plenty of cars going in and out. I'd say it will do very well there. And it will relieve some of the crowds from the Douglas outlet which can get very busy from the amount of cars usually around it.

Half of those cars aren't even customers,saw people myself on sat night parking up and walking away out.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Half of those cars aren't even customers,saw people myself on sat night parking up and walking away out.

Really? Jeez...where would they even be going parking there?

Meant the douglas one always happens there!

ofcork wrote: »
    Meant the douglas one always happens there!

Ah ok...that would make sense alright.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So how many McDonalds are in Cork city now? 7 or 8?

And still only one Burger King!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Been there twice , service is slow and no news papers, often call to Douglas after nights and get the breakfast, its 40 cents cheaper as well,might improve in time as staff are new, the area needed it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

What radius would you like them to cover, 1KM litter patrol?

That would be a good policy. Based on my observations in Douglas the litter will be dispersed further than 1km

Local residents and businesses will end up disposing of McD litter found on their properties so it's only fair McD's contribute too.

But I'll be reasonable - a 1km radius would be too much to expect.
    McD should aim perform a daily litter pick a few hundred metres in each directiion; e.g as far as the Aldi junction and the green on Tramore Road.
    Maybe some days a litter pick won't be required. I expect Fri - Mon it will certainly be required.
    The staff can always reduce the burden of this task by reporting the location of litter as they arrive to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

That would be a good policy. Based on my observations in Douglas the litter will be dispersed further than 1km

Local residents and businesses will end up disposing of McD litter found on their properties so it's only fair McD's contribute too.

But I'll be reasonable - a 1km radius would be too much to expect.
    McD should aim perform a daily litter pick a few hundred metres in each directiion; e.g as far as the Aldi junction and the green on Tramore Road.
    Maybe some days a litter pick won't be required. I expect Fri - Mon it will certainly be required.
    The staff can always reduce the burden of this task by reporting the location of litter as they arrive to work.

Don't be ridiculous, it's simply too much to ask. Yes directly outside the premises but further than that.. no need.

Like the city centre, Ballyphehane businesses will pay the same rates. In the city you will get a constant litter picker doing rounds of the city centre 'island' and close environs where in the suburbs you're lucky to get one road sweep a week and maybe one other litter pick up.. that's not fair, is it?

Don't be ridiculous, it's simply too much to ask. Yes directly outside the premises but further than that.. no need.

Like the city centre, Ballyphehane businesses will pay the same rates. In the city you will get a constant litter picker doing rounds of the city centre 'island' and close environs where in the suburbs you're lucky to get one road sweep a week and maybe one other litter pick up.. that's not fair, is it?

Nothing ridiculous about it. Just good community participation. McD's Douglas - and other fast food joints - contrubute to community initiatives and litter control

2 hours labour most days at minimum pay rate is certainly not too much to ask of such a large and profitable corp.

Aside: I remember reporting litter to a manager at a UK McD's. Her response to get it picked-up was immediate.

Would they be expected to pick up all litter or pick out stuff from McDonald's only and leave the rest?

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Would they be expected to pick up all litter or pick out stuff from McDonald's only and leave the rest?

Now that is ridiculous. McD's litter is easily identified - even when I'm passing by bike/car I can spot it.

Advertisement