Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds want to open in Ballyphehane.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Now that is ridiculous. McD's litter is easily identified - even when I'm passing by bike/car I can spot it.

Yep.. But as their staff are out on litter patrol, do they walk past other litter or pick up everything? I know it is easily identified. But do they also pick up Tayto packets etc etc? Or should the shop at bottom of Pearse Road be out picking all them up for one kilometer around that shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep.. But as their staff are out on litter patrol, do they walk past other litter or pick up everything? I know it is easily identified. But do they also pick up Tayto packets etc etc? Or should the shop at bottom of Pearse Road be out picking all them up for one kilometer around that shop?

Yes of course the shop at Pearse Rd has a similar duty to maintain the area in front of shop - as I mentioned before. No, I dont expect them to spend as much time on an extended area McD because they probably don't the staff available and their litter isn't identifiable.

If McD 's litter patrol were to feel diligent enough to pick up the Tayto pkts too then I'd applaud them.

Again I'll give the example of McD Douglas: Very good at keeping clean their immediate car park area and footpaths. They just need to extend their range while they're already at the job to collect some bad littering nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So how many McDonalds are in Cork city now? 7 or 8?

And still only one Burger King!

6 I think more popular brand than bk.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

ofcork wrote: »
    6 I think more popular brand than bk.

its 8 from my count.
    2 Blackpool
    2 City
    1 Ballincollig
    1 Mahon
    1 Ballypheane
    1 Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Didn't think there is one in Mahon forgot about second one in blackpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ofcork wrote: »
    Didn't think there is one in Mahon forgot about second one in blackpool

Mahon Point

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes of course the shop at Pearse Rd has a similar duty to maintain the area in front of shop - as I mentioned before. No, I dont expect them to spend as much time on an extended area McD because they probably don't the staff available and their litter isn't identifiable.

If McD 's litter patrol were to feel diligent enough to pick up the Tayto pkts too then I'd applaud them.

Again I'll give the example of McD Douglas: Very good at keeping clean their immediate car park area and footpaths. They just need to extend their range while they're already at the job to collect some bad littering nearby.

Why is it up to McDonald's to do this solely. What about the council or indeed the scrotes throwing rubbish on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That would be a good policy. Based on my observations in Douglas the litter will be dispersed further than 1km

Local residents and businesses will end up disposing of McD litter found on their properties so it's only fair McD's contribute too.

But I'll be reasonable - a 1km radius would be too much to expect.
    McD should aim perform a daily litter pick a few hundred metres in each directiion; e.g as far as the Aldi junction and the green on Tramore Road.
    Maybe some days a litter pick won't be required. I expect Fri - Mon it will certainly be required.
    The staff can always reduce the burden of this task by reporting the location of litter as they arrive to work.

This is the most juvenile argument I've seen made here in quite a while, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I don't know how they are responsible for the dirty people who litter, I would expect them to keep the area around the site clean but they can't police pigs who litter.I would imagine litter is dropped by people walking rather than driving so the locals should try and tackle the lack of civic spirit around the area,maybe get McDonalds to sponsor a stop litter campaign as the locals don't seem to understand that litter is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why stop at McDonalds picking up their litter? How about Tayto send out a country wide litter patrol? Then all other confectionary companies could follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Albert the Luminous

That would be a good policy. Based on my observations in Douglas the litter will be dispersed further than 1km

Local residents and businesses will end up disposing of McD litter found on their properties so it's only fair McD's contribute too.

But I'll be reasonable - a 1km radius would be too much to expect.
    McD should aim perform a daily litter pick a few hundred metres in each directiion; e.g as far as the Aldi junction and the green on Tramore Road.
    Maybe some days a litter pick won't be required. I expect Fri - Mon it will certainly be required.
    The staff can always reduce the burden of this task by reporting the location of litter as they arrive to work.

And they should pick up dog ****, spot might have had a scrap of a big Mac
    Mac...

Or they keep their curtilage litter free, regularly empty bins, pay their rates towards City Council to provide street hygiene, and maybe catch a few of the scumbags that see fit to drop their litter and expect someone else to pick it up

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why is it up to McDonald's to do this solely. What about the council or indeed the scrotes throwing rubbish on the ground?

Now where did I say it was solely McD's responsibility?
    Of course I advocate more Council litter collection - but how likely is that realistically. I'll also advocate more litter wardens and community service for litter louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This topic is ridiculous. McDonalds are been targeted because their litter is easily indentified, its not their fault their patrons decide to throw their rubbish on the ground.

They will be paying hefty rates to the council, I'm sure they can clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

rob316 wrote: »
    This topic is ridiculous. McDonalds are been targeted because their litter is easily indentified, its not their fault their patrons decide to throw their rubbish on the ground.

Exactly. Thank you, finally some sense.

There is a vendetta in Ballyphehane against progress. Any time change is in for planning major hurdles are encountered.

Musgrave Park
    McDonalds
    Aldi
    Great Gas

I'm sure/certain there are more that have encountered issues.

I'm delighted, it's a welcome investment that's cleaning up the area and providing a subtle but good imapct to the area. Correct me if i'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This topic is ridiculous. McDonalds are been targeted because their litter is easily indentified,

Also a lot to do with who they are...a global company who it is "cool" to give out about.
    See the starbucks thread for more of the same.

The principle/responsibility of a retailer to clean the public area in front of the shop is already established so hardly ridiculous. I'm suggesting fast food joints (not just McDs) extend the area of cleaning.
    On the basis of Public\Community Relations it would probably make good business sense too.

I didn't intend to give the imporession I was "picking on", or "engaging in a vendetta" (that is bit overly dramatic), on McDs. I haven't even noticed an increased litter problem on Kinsale Rd - yet! But I will certainly point the finger at McDs Douglas for their blinkered litter picking.

And finally ... From a health point of view I can't say I think the proliferation of fast food joints is "progress" in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

The principle/responsibility of a retailer to clean the public area in front of the shop is already established so hardly ridiculous. I'm suggesting fast food joints (not just McDs) extend the area of cleaning.
    On the basis of Public\Community Relations it would probably make good business sense too.

I didn't intend to give the imporession I was "picking on", or "engaging in a vendetta" (that is bit overly dramatic), on McDs. I haven't even noticed an increased litter problem on Kinsale Rd - yet! But I will certainly point the finger at McDs Douglas for their blinkered litter picking.

And finally ... From a health point of view I can't say I think the proliferation of fast food joints is "progress" in any way.

To define Vendetta - A long running argument.

Advertisement