Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Line Move

Options
  • 04-12-2013 5:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hoping Accommodation and Property is the correct forum for this one. Apologies if not.

Has anyone had experience with the ESB of moving power lines/poles? We are just looking at a site and it's a larger site around 4 acres typical long rectangular shape with road frontage at one end. If we were to purchase, the house we'd propose, would be towards the front of the 4 acres nearer the road, but unfortunately there are dual power lines and a single pole right in the center of that space! I checked the ESB site and there is a series of instructions with ordnance survey maps and site plan requests, none of which we have at the moment as we are just looking and wondering.

So has anyone experienced this? Is there much hardship with the ESB? How much does it typically cost? What options are available? Buried cables...pole moved, new poles and new line route etc. etc. If it becomes a huge hassle it might determine if we even get involved in trying to purchase and would save us a lot of wasted time!! Thanks all.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

it would be Eirgrid and not the ESB as such. Let me save you some time though theres no chance they are going to move any power lines for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

D3PO wrote: »
    it would be Eirgrid and not the ESB as such. Let me save you some time though theres no chance they are going to move any power lines for you.

They may move it , but they will charge you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ted1 wrote: »
    They may move it , but they will charge you for it.

But it will be a huge hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They will move it if that is possible, which it usually is. Why do you think they won't move it?

Op, cost is impossible to predict with the information provided because it depends entirely if a new route is required or if it is just a case of moving a couple of poles. You can only find out from ESB networks themselves. You will need to send them an ordnance survey map so they work out what is required - given that you wish to build on it you will need to supply a copy of the plans and inform them that no planning permission is yet granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

ESB can move any power line and this occurs frequently in building projects all the time including upgrading power lines to accommodate increased demand. The issue is cost. You can request the service maps from ESB which show the power lines. You can then use these to outline how you want the system to be altered and you may need an engineer to advise you on this. Either moving the overhead lines or changing to buried lines. ESB will then provide a cost. Depending on the distance and work involved this can be anything between 5k or 150k or more. It is specific to each site. It is paid up front and in full typically.

Eirgrid may be the network provider now so maybe deal with them.

Just remember that ESB operate on a take it or leave it approach. You don't get to negotiate the price or anything. Its their way or the highway.

I have facilitated alterations to numerous major power and gas lines and sub stations in my time and its like anything else a long process to get done but perfectly possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement