Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with electricity bills!

Options
  • 04-12-2013 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for someone to help with getting my electricity bills down for my business. It's a medium to large sized pub with no kitchen / special equipment. It has all the usual fridges / coolers / tvs / lights. My bill is currently approx 2600 per billing period. I've been told this is way too high. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dinny76

Get on to SEAI, they will appoint a company to give you some free advice. It is a good starting point

http://www.seai.ie/Your_Business/Energy_Advice_Mentoring/?bam_type=priv

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

not sure if this effects the alcohol or soft drinks, but could you turn off the fridges at close and turn them on again say an hour or so before you open? If you have halogen bulbs, you could replace with LED...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I have avoided posting a reply because your post, which to me, begged the riposte "have you talked to the St Vincent de Paul?" I am a huge fan and a modest supporter of the work of the Vinnie and the issues they deal with are far too serious and sad to be a cause of any form of mirth, nonetheless.............

Two things strike me, you have a very decent electricity spend, so the new entrants should be interested in doing a bit of undercutting on rates. Get them all in, show them your bills and run a beauty pageant.
    Also ask them to carry out an energy audit and advisory survey.

If you fail to knock at least 10% off your bill, hire in one of the "proper" energy surveyors/auditors that SEI list on their approved list. You will save money one way or another! Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I have avoided posting a reply because your post, which to me, begged the riposte "have you talked to the St Vincent de Paul?" I am a huge fan and a modest supporter of the work of the Vinnie and the issues they deal with are far too serious and sad to be a cause of any form of mirth, nonetheless.............

Why would you preface your reply with this nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Lighting will be your biggest bill - local pub to me had big bills. I got him to give me a staff night on the house and bought him €300 worth of 3.4w led bulbs from Ikea.

He had over 60 x 50w halogens on from 4pm to about 1am every days of the year and in a way it was too bright. He also had heaters on in a staff area that was only used about an hour a day and the outside heater timer was adjusted to 1 minute rather than 2 minutes for the smokers and only switched on when temp outside was below 12 degrees. All other lightbulbs were changed to CFL.

His savings were over €500 a month and his bill was cut by over 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I did something similar with my shop.

I have a large open mineral fridge. I had timer fitted to knock it off at 5pm and on again at 5am.

I turned off lights not needed.

I switched off surplus freezers and made sure the remaining ones were full.

After closing, I turned off shop lights and cashed up using a lamp in my office. Why would you have your shop/pub/business lit up like a christmas tree when its only you/the cleaner/ working away at whatever.

Common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dsgking

You should get someone in with a power logger, this will monitor your power across your 3 phases and show the peaks/demands etc for lets say a week.

you might have a lot of circuits on 1 particular phase and then the meter will always read the highest phase, as 1 phase might be drawing for example 30 amps and the other 2 might be drawing only 5 amps and 8 amps , they should be balanced.

I have seen this happen in a lot places. I presume it is a 3 phase supply you have?

Advertisement