Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook 2007 won't open

Options
  • 04-12-2013 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

Computer went through an automatic scan - chkdsk? last night and this morning Outlook won't open.

I have tried running the scandisk utility thing with no results.

If I create a new pst file - as some googled articled say - will I lose my data?

Is there anyway I can re-open the existing pst file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

You can recreate your Outlook profile, which will then open Outlook without the .PST file added in Outlook. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

You will still need to run ScanPST.exe as Poco has suggested, but this way you will still be able to access your inbox/sent items & calender with no problems.

What is the error when you run Outlook?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

Will try that and thanks.

This is the error msg: Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the OUtlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.
    Errors have been detected in the file.
    Use the inbox repair tool etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Ok and you definitely had a .PST file in your Outlook? Just in case you're not sure, they're archive folders, so separate from your mailbox. If all you had was your Mailbox folders (Inbox, Drafts and subfolders) then there is a problem with your .OST and ScanOST.exe will need to be run, exact same as ScanPST as far as running it goes.

Try recreating your Outlook profile 1st though, it will re-download your entire mailbox, and if that doesn't work and crashes again then you need to run ScanOST, if it works OK and you try to re-add your .PST's and Outlook crashes again, then you know which .PST is causing the problem and can run ScanPST on it.

Just on a side note, MS don't ever recommend any PST being larger than 1.86gb as they say it will cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I would definitely copy the .pst file and any other data you don't have backed up to on an external device before doing anything else. Your hard drive could be failing and scandisk which generates lots of disk activity could be the last straw.

Advertisement