Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants from hell next door

Options
  • 04-12-2013 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and girls kinda looking for a small bit of advice.

Well basically about 6 months ago we had new tenants move in next door to myself.basically a couple owned the home as a second house but ended up renting it out. Now I must also say I'm renting the property next door also.
    So as I said they moved in next door and the noise has just being out of control since.il start off by saying that the are of middle eastern origen and there is the mam and dad ,daughter and a newborn prob about 3 months old.

My own family consists of myself the oh and a 2 year old boy and 2 year old girl.so during the day the noise is the same as at night but the noise does be of people scrapping chairs across the tilled floor, kicking football's around the house, banging what I can lng discribe as a golf club or something off the wall. Banging warddrobe doors and the baby just seems to be crying histiercly all the time.
    During the night we have ofton being woken out of our sleep by heavy banging on the walls and doors slamming this could be 3 r 4 o'clock in the morning and then the noise continues all morning till I go to work at 7.the noise has also being waking our kids at the same time and then the baby next door crying is just out of control. It goes on and on like that but it's at the stage now were ne and my other half have enough and I'm really considering moving out of our home where we have lived for 3 years.

I have tought about saying it to them but they seem very unapprocable and we haven't even got to say hi or got a hi off them either. Not a great feeling for ur neighbours. One instance was one if the kids in the estate called in to ask did they want there grass cut as they don't seem to clean the front garden or cut there grass.the tenants decided to call the gaurds and say the teenager was harrasing them. So I rink approaching them is out of the question.

So basically any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

what has their nationality got to do with anything ?

And how do you know they are unapproachable if you have never spoken to them ?

grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

D3PO wrote: »
    what has their nationality got to do with anything ?

And how do you know they are unapproachable if you have never spoken to them ?

grow up.

The nationality doesn't have much to do with it, except different nationalities have different cultures so its hardly a huge crime to include that they are not Irish

You would get the feeling they are unapproachable since they haven't said hello yet, though for me the onus would be on the OP to introduce themselves first and welcome them, they also called the guards when a young fella asked did they want their grass cut

Not exactly a normal response to such a question.

Calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

I never said there nationality had anything to do with it at all I was mearly puting it in for a brief discription of the tenants.
    You say grow up but let me tell you if u had the noise that goes on beside yourself I'm sure you woukdnt be to happy. I asked for a bit of advice on what to do not someone to pick up on other things.
    So unless you have some advice on the situation then I don't need ur silly answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

- introduce yourself, explain the noise is becoming difficult to bear, see what reaction you get, if a good reaction wait and see what happens.

- if a bad reaction call your own landlord and explain that the noise from next door is becoming difficult to bear, im sure he / she will know who the owner is next to them and will have a way to contact them as its in their interests to do so

- if all of the above fail, contact gardai and complain about noise at night, perhaps they can assist you in getting in touch with the other tenants landlords as well

after that I dont think there is a lot you can do , hopefully they will respond positively to your approach and tone it down (except the baby crying, there is not a lot can be done about that :))

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get the details of their landlord and start contacting them; its the landlords responsibility to sort them out.

Or, you know, perhaps knock in, say hello and ask them nicely to keep the noise down first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

burke027 wrote: »
    I never said there nationality had anything to do with it at all I was mearly puting it in for a brief discription of the tenants.

and a description of the tenants nationality was needed why ? weather they are irish or otherwise its irrelevant.

The fact you mentioned it would indicate its an issue your end weather its subconscious or not. Speak to them about the problem and don't be so xenophobic.

and a description of the tenants nationality was needed why ? weather they are irish or otherwise its irrelevant.

The fact you mentioned it would indicate its an issue your end weather its subconscious or not. Speak to them about the problem and don't be so xenophobic.

Please get a grip I was actually mentioning it to see if they had different cultures that maybe they prayed early in the morning or something like that. Your making it sound like I've a issue with where there from. When infact nationalitys doesn't have n e bearing on it.ive plenty of friends that are of other nationality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If approaching them fails and you have tried the other suggestions in this thread with no success you can contact their landlord and inform him of the problems you are having.
    Ultimately you can take a case to the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What kind of buildings are these where a baby crying next door wakes your whole family up?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He may have mentioned their nationality because someone would have asked about it anyway, assuming it was travellers or non Irish.

Going by what you are saying I wouldn't bother with the intros, if they are nuts enough to behave like that with a young baby and have no respect for their kids and the house then they go and ring the guards about a young lad, then I think you are as well to contact the landlord. Inform your own landlord first, then tell him that you are ringing their landlord and if it can't be sorted that you will have to move as its impacting your quality of life and your young families.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    What kind of buildings are these where a baby crying next door wakes your whole family up?

The majority of the apartment buildings built in the past 10 years Id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

D3PO cut it out. There is no need to take that tone with posters.
    Please remain civil and courteous or don't post here.

Morri

djimi wrote: »
    The majority of the apartment buildings built in the past 10 years Id imagine.

Who mentioned anything about a apartment it's a 4 bed semi and I think ur right the land lord is the only way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

grow up.
    lol - that coming from you.

lol - that coming from you.

That is not helpful, please leave the moderation to the mods and stop derailing the thread by trying to start an argument.

Can we get back on topic now please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Who mentioned anything about a apartment it's a 4 bed semi and I think ur right the land lord is the only way

The point is that many buildings (not just apartments) that have been built in the last 10/15 years have sound issues with paper thin walls between different units thereby allowing noise from next door to disturb you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

If you live in a 4 bed semi where a crying baby next door wakes up your whole house, you have a problem with your house not your neighbours.

drumswan wrote: »
    If you live in a 4 bed semi where a crying baby next door wakes up your whole house, you have a problem with your house not your neighbours.

Yeah I get that the house walls might be thin.it's not only the baby it's the constant banging and all that.your telling me thst if u where woke at 4 r 5 in the morning with someone hoping off the walls and then ur trying to sleep and u hear a baby screaming and crying that you would be happy about it.
    In fairness I doubt you would. All I'm trying to do is find the best course of action.as I said if it can't be resolved il have to move as it's gone beyond a joke at this stage.
    The thing is I don't wana move even tho it's a rented house we have put money into it painting and laying floors and afew other things we have the house the way we want to and don't wana start all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

<snip>

As regards actual problem.
    OP listen to advise about trying to approach them and ask them to try and keep noise down.
    If that doesn't work then best advise is to bug the cr** out of their landlord.

One positive thing here is that you are only renting and you can move away from a possible continuing nightmare next door.
    I know you like the area/house, but it could be a lot worse if you were stuck in negative equity and know you are going to be living next to God knows what for the next 20 years.

I am not allowed discuss …

The thing is I don't wana move even tho it's a rented house we have put money into it painting and laying floors and afew other things we have the house the way we want to and don't wana start all over again.

Well the steps are
    1. Talk to your neighbour and see if it can be resolved amicably.
    2. If (1) fails Talk to your neighbours Landlord and put the problem on his lap.
    3. If (2) fails File a complaint with the PRTB against the neighbours LL for not dealing with the problem.

The other alternatives are to move out or ask your LL to soundproof the house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hardly news that the walls are paper thin now. Its irrelevant to the OP's problem, the problem is the neighbors not the house.

jmayo wrote: »
    <snip>

As regards actual problem.
    OP listen to advise about trying to approach them and ask them to try and keep noise down.
    If that doesn't work then best advise is to bug the cr** out of their landlord.

One positive thing here is that you are only renting and you can move away from a possible continuing nightmare next door.
    I know you like the area/house, but it could be a lot worse if you were stuck in negative equity and know you are going to be living next to God knows what for the next 20 years.

I've already asked for posters to get back on topic, therefore I've snipped your post to remove your rant.
    If you have a problem with a post report it and the mods will deal with it.

It was more of a general comment in reply to the question I quoted, but usually its badly built apartments that are the cause in a lot of cases like this.

To be honest, if the build of the house is that bad then Id probably be looking to move if it were me. You learn to expect this sort of thing when living in apartments, but not from a house.

Im not excusing the neighbours in saying that btw; they are a problem that also needs sorting by the sounds of it. I believe that if you can get hold of the landlords phone number then ringing him in the middle of the night each and every time that you get woken up can prove to be quite an effective method of getting the issue sorted in a hurry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

OP mentions race of person, is called racist. Yup this thread checks out carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

I would complain to my own landlord, pointing out I cant put up with it much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

yop wrote: »
    Hardly news that the walls are paper thin now. Its irrelevant to the OP's problem, the problem is the neighbors not the house.

Nonsense, if a crying baby is audible in your house normal noise will also be audible.

Id just move if the house is that poorly constructed. Its not reasonable to ask you neighbour to be quiet in his own house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

It's not reasonable to be making excessive noise at night either though (and I'm not including the baby's crying), this can be avoided even with thin walls. The OP shouldn't have to move, the neighbours should stop slamming doors in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

My sympathies to you and your family. I've been there and it's a nightmare.
    My advise to you is not to approach them while you are on 'High Doh'
    Get your husband to have a reasonable word with him., (he may not take kindly to being spoken to by a woman).
    Take a look through the link and see if there is anything in it that might be a way forward for you.

Good luck.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/enfo/irelands-environment/noise/how-to-deal-with-noisy-ne/

It's not reasonable to be making excessive noise at night either though (and I'm not including the baby's crying), this can be avoided even with thin walls. The OP shouldn't have to move, the neighbours should stop slamming doors in the middle of the night.

Apart from the baby crying more then any baby I've ever seen where not talking about little footsteps or something.where talking the constant slaming of warddrope doors or hitting the walls with something metal that seems to be never ending. Even more so the dragging of chairs on a till floor now not just moving it dragging it around and around and around and around the kitchen doing laps of the floor.this could be at 6 in the evening or 3 in the morning. They don't talk the shout at each other roaring is it any wonder the baby is crying.
    So I don't except there aloud make noise in tgere own home yes of course they are but this is more then noise and it's way way past any acceptable time

• Advertisement

Nonsense, if a crying baby is audible in your house normal noise will also be audible.

Id just move if the house is that poorly constructed. Its not reasonable to ask you neighbour to be quiet in his own house.

Have you read the OPs post out of interest. They include baby crying, golf club like noises, banging, chairs moving all in the middle of the night.

Its totally reasonable to ask them to keep it down in the middle of the night, if that was the case then why is there laws regarding this?

They certainly should not move if the new neighbours are now causing an issue, the OP is there 3 years, could possible have their kids in a close school and could be part of the community.
    Under no circumstances should they move.

Advertisement