Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants from hell next door

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

burke027 wrote: »

Don't assume you can't talk to them without trying first.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

It's not reasonable to be making excessive noise at night either though (and I'm not including the baby's crying), this can be avoided even with thin walls. The OP shouldn't have to move, the neighbours should stop slamming doors in the middle of the night.

Apart from the baby crying more then any baby I've ever seen where not talking about little footsteps or something.where talking the constant slaming of warddrope doors or hitting the walls with something metal that seems to be never ending. Even more so the dragging of chairs on a till floor now not just moving it dragging it around and around and around and around the kitchen doing laps of the floor.this could be at 6 in the evening or 3 in the morning. They don't talk the shout at each other roaring is it any wonder the baby is crying.
    So I don't except there aloud make noise in tgere own home yes of course they are but this is more then noise and it's way way past any acceptable time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Something metal hitting the walls?

Is it possible (and I'm no builder!) that is water pipes & water pumps? In my flat there is a rat a tat tat banging for about 20 seconds when the neighbours upstairs stir and start using their water.

It sounds like metal hitting my wall alright

Is there is something in the wall or close to underneath the wall connecting your house to your neighbours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

mikemac1 wrote: »

Is it possible (and I'm no builder!) that is water pipes & water pumps? In my flat there is a rat a tat tat banging for about 20 seconds when the neighbours upstairs stir and start using their water.

Is there is something in the wall or close to underneath the wall connecting your house to your neighbours?
    This was happening in my house when we'd turn off the taps or when the cistern would finish filling.
    Turned out it was the expansion vessel on the heating had burst so the sudden shock of the pressure difference was causing the pipes to shudder. This in turn caused the pipe clamps to come loose over time, causing the rattle.

OP, i'd ask the next door neighbour to swap the 2yr old and the baby so that the baby is away from your dividing wall, and also ask the landlord to get a plumber to check the pipes.

(you can do a kind of test by trying to lift the expansion vessel. If its heavy that means its burst and full of water.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Surely if that was the case it would have been there before and not just started when they moved in.

As people have stated OP, just because they're being d*cks (calling the Gardai when asked if they wanted their lawn cut is ridiculous) doesn't mean you should be so go down the civil route first.

Talk to them and tell them the noise at night is disturbing your family and waking your kids. They could be unaware of how disruptive they're being.

If they refuse to modify their behaviour or indeed call the cops on you then talk to their landlord.

Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Surely if that was the case it would have been there before and not just started when they moved in.

The owners had it as a second house before they decided to rent it out.

As it was a second house it could have been empty

Ah lads are u having a laugh it's not pipes ffs. It's like a hammer r a golf club r something like that hitting the wall. And if I'm right I don't think there are any metal pipes running down the adjoining wall inbetween houses.
    As I said il talk to them

Ah lads are u having a laugh it's not pipes ffs. It's like a hammer r a golf club r something like that hitting the wall. And if I'm right I don't think there are any metal pipes running down the adjoining wall inbetween houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

D3PO wrote: »
    and a description of the tenants nationality was needed why ? weather they are irish or otherwise its irrelevant.

The fact you mentioned it would indicate its an issue your end weather its subconscious or not. Speak to them about the problem and don't be so xenophobic.

Nationality is valid as it shows different cultures, eg. If Ramadan occurs in summer then Muslims will be cooking and eating very late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Theres a thing called water hammer which can be very loud and repetitive, it happens when a valve is opened or closed fast and the water slams into the system.

Anywho, complain to their landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To be fair it sounds more plausible to be pipes rather than a person actually smashing their wall with a golf club in the middle of the night. Maybe the neighbour thinks it is you and that is why he doesn't speak to you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Apart from the baby crying more then any baby I've ever seen where not talking about little footsteps or something.where talking the constant slaming of warddrope doors or hitting the walls with something metal that seems to be never ending. Even more so the dragging of chairs on a till floor now not just moving it dragging it around and around and around and around the kitchen doing laps of the floor.

this could be at 6 in the evening or 3 in the morning. They don't talk the shout at each other roaring is it any wonder the baby is crying.
    So I don't except there aloud make noise in tgere own home yes of course they are but this is more then noise and it's way way past any acceptable time

The dragging the chair sounds like a toddler learning to walk.
    They don't have a pushtoy or walker so the child uses the chair/stool to get around.

The weird bit is the 3am, but it could be the baby is not sleeping and the parents just let it up and around.

Also a toddler that is teething can make a fierce racket especially if ignored and left.
    Oh and toddlers just love hammering things if they get a chance so that could explain some of the hammering.

Either that or they are making something in there. ;)
    Hell they might have a still going.
    oh wait scrub that, because you told us their background I am ruling that out as being unlikely.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Apart from the baby crying more then any baby I've ever seen where not talking about little footsteps or something.where talking the constant slaming of warddrope doors or hitting the walls with something metal that seems to be never ending. ....

They don't talk the shout at each other roaring is it any wonder the baby is crying.

Given what you have said, then I would be calling the child welfare people, not approaching them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,did you approach them yet?

If not,make sure to keep a record of all the noise and record all noise disruption.

Have a read of this,and by no means should ye be considering leaving.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

OP,did you approach them yet?

If not,make sure to keep a record of all the noise and record all noise disruption.

Have a read of this,and by no means should ye be considering leaving.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

Why shouldn't they consider leaving? That's the beauty of renting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Why shouldn't they consider leaving? That's the beauty of renting :)
    Yeah I get that the house walls might be thin.it's not only the baby it's the constant banging and all that.your telling me thst if u where woke at 4 r 5 in the morning with someone hoping off the walls and then ur trying to sleep and u hear a baby screaming and crying that you would be happy about it.
    In fairness I doubt you would. All I'm trying to do is find the best course of action.as I said if it can't be resolved il have to move as it's gone beyond a joke at this stage.
    The thing is I don't wana move even tho it's a rented house we have put money into it painting and laying floors and afew other things we have the house the way we want to and don't wana start all over again.

Also the OP says that they are there for 3 years,while the new crowd moved in 6 months ago.The new neighbours just need to be told the rules and regulations and to have a bit of consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

To be honest Rhys life is too short to be fighting battles that dont need to be fought. Im not saying move out at the first sign of trouble, but ultimately, if this issue does not get resolved or becomes a serious problem then its easier just to get away from it and find somewhere that is less hassle (there are plenty of decent places out there). That is the beauty of renting.

Its also why I wouldnt put my own money into things like painting and reflooring someone elses property; renting in Ireland is a short term solution.

Also the OP says that they are there for 3 years,while the new crowd moved in 6 months ago.The new neighbours just need to be told the rules and regulations and to have a bit of consideration.

In a perfect world, sure. In reality it may just be easier to move.

• Site Banned Posts: 36 Benda

Hey guys and girls kinda looking for a small bit of advice.

Well basically about 6 months ago we had new tenants move in next door to myself.basically a couple owned the home as a second house but ended up renting it out. Now I must also say I'm renting the property next door also.
    So as I said they moved in next door and the noise has just being out of control since.il start off by saying that the are of middle eastern origen and there is the mam and dad ,daughter and a newborn prob about 3 months old.

My own family consists of myself the oh and a 2 year old boy and 2 year old girl.so during the day the noise is the same as at night but the noise does be of people scrapping chairs across the tilled floor, kicking football's around the house, banging what I can lng discribe as a golf club or something off the wall. Banging warddrobe doors and the baby just seems to be crying histiercly all the time.
    During the night we have ofton being woken out of our sleep by heavy banging on the walls and doors slamming this could be 3 r 4 o'clock in the morning and then the noise continues all morning till I go to work at 7.the noise has also being waking our kids at the same time and then the baby next door crying is just out of control. It goes on and on like that but it's at the stage now were ne and my other half have enough and I'm really considering moving out of our home where we have lived for 3 years.

I have tought about saying it to them but they seem very unapprocable and we haven't even got to say hi or got a hi off them either. Not a great feeling for ur neighbours. One instance was one if the kids in the estate called in to ask did they want there grass cut as they don't seem to clean the front garden or cut there grass.the tenants decided to call the gaurds and say the teenager was harrasing them. So I rink approaching them is out of the question.

So basically any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Man up for gods sake and go into them ! Suggest that you have contacts in the Gardai and Immigration Bureau and see if that settles their hash !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Not all non Irish people are cowed into submission by a mention of immigration officials.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 36 Benda

zef wrote: »
    Not all non Irish people are cowed into submission by a mention of immigration officials.

And not all aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Benda wrote: »
    Man up for gods sake and go into them ! Suggest that you have contacts in the Gardai and Immigration Bureau and see if that settles their hash !

If you can't post in a helpful and constructive manner please refrain from posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Martin1979

Just move! Who needs that hassle. Maybe try to find a detached house. Just thinking bout small kids! Very important

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

YOU NEED TO APPROACH THEM FIRST.

THEN IF THAT DOESNT WORK - TAKE NESSECARY STEPS TO OUT THEM FROM THE PREMEISIS.

Its clear this sort of situation cannot go on like this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

As someone said, a big advantage of renting is that you can move on; however, seeing as you're well settled there a long time, and you and your family have ties to the place, this should be the very last resort IMO.

Moving isn't just an easy fix anyway, especially if the person has kids - your landlord has to approve of you breaking the lease, and might not, therefore bye-bye deposit; you have to find another suitable place to live, and finding the place in the first place can be tough, then there's no guarantee you'll even be approved. Then there's the stress of getting all your stuff moved.

Plus, why the hell should you have to move rather than them, seeing as they're the ones causing the trouble. So as I said, very last resort.

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Given what you have said, then I would be calling the child welfare people, not approaching them myself.

Bit extreme don't you think? The child could have colic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bit extreme don't you think? The child could have colic.

Nope, I don't think it's a bit extreme.

The child could have "colic"(*). Or there could be something else going on. The OP cannot tell. The only thing that the OP knows is:
    • a baby crying more then any baby I've ever seen
    • constant slaming ...
    • people that don't talk they shout at each other roaring
    The OP is most certainly not qualified to tell whether this is a child-welfare issue or not. But IMHO neighbours have a moral responsibility to report their concerns, so that competent professionals can make a judgeemnt about whether there's a problem or not.

(*) Some well-child nurses that I know don't even believe that "colic" exists, they say it's always a case of inept parenting. Other nurses, and some parents I know, disagree with them. Me ... all I know is that it's safer to assume the worst and find that the reality is better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

I agree with Mrs O Bumble..Its a situation where this particular couple are hostile neighbours..When a neighbours kid called to their house to see if they needed any help they called the gards..

On second thought,I think if you approached them they would react in an unreasonable manner,and i would proceed with caution if you were going to talk to them.

They could over react or call the gards and make stories up,you just dont know some people are just plain crazy.

Try to think of all the situations that might occur when approaching them and you will see it might not be the best of ideas,regardless of your intentions..

Advertisement