Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an author like Louis L'amour

Options
  • 04-12-2013 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Trying to come up with a new author for my father in law to get into.

He loves Louis L'amour, he likes Dan Brown - but other than that he seems to dip in and out of non fiction without tending towards any particular subject matter.

Im trying to come up with a good xmas present for him so a new author would be a great help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Louis L'Amour was one of those fine masters of the pulp craft. Early adventure novels and stories with a great flair for the dramatic and lots of action. To that end, I'd recommend some folk who follow in the same vein, like:

Robert E. Howard - Conan, Solomon Kane, Kull.
    Edgar Rice Burroughs - Tarzan, John Carter.
    Bernard Cornwell - The Sharpe series.
    C.S. Forester - The Hornblower series.
    G.M. Fraser - The Flashman Papers.

They're all quite old-school, and write as such, but often with a strong basis in reality and history. They're the sort of books I grew up with, though. They shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Advertisement