Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Christmas presents are you giving your pets?

• 04-12-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I picked up two very cute Xmas stockings yesterday in Dealz, one says 'Santa, I've been purrrfect' with a pic of a cat and the other has a pic of a dog and says 'I've been grrrrreat'
    We have two cats, and one dog, with a new arrival dog coming today!!! ( very excited but that's another story) So each pair will share a stocking as I've no room for four!
    Will fill them up with treats and toys. Would like to get coats for the dogs, but Nelson has already outgrown one and has lots more growing to do, same with new pup.
    I've ordered some lovely shiny new name tags for all four online, so hopefully they will arrive on time too.
    The poor turtle has no stocking, but he'll get some juicy wax worm treats and maybe a new rock ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

My OH is knitting scarfs for the dogs this year... god help me.

And making them a doggy stocking with treats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Rufus is getting a Penguin soft toy. Which will be brutally murdered within 24 hours. Also a few pull toys and a nice Christmas dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I haven't picked anything for our mucky pup yet, but just thought I'd share a feel good story about my mam bonding with our dog.

She really isn't a dog person, but this little guy has wormed his way in there, to the point where she bought him his own blanket so he can snuggle on their couch,and a little jacket that says 'Head Elf' on it. I nearly keeled over with shock.

I am comparing this to the phenomenon of grandparents being much softer with their grandchildren than they ever were with their children, as she was not like this with our own dogs growing up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Going to replace her "pup threads" tyre. She loves the thing. Right now her original one is in two pieces. :P

Might pick her up another antler from Stag. Another thing she loves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Turkey carcass/ ham bone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My little prince has a new Christmas collar with a Peanuts snow scene on it which has just been delivered. He's also getting a new coat which will be delivered soon. His doggy friends are getting scarves & bandannas! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Oooo, stag antlers. Good thinking!

A scratch post/climbing tower for the cats might be in order too, I just find them so expensive for what they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Just be careful with the stag antlers and teeth, they're very very hard and can easily chip a tooth.

For Christmas, we've been given the okay to bring our dog to the in-law's home for Christmas day. Last year we walked him him early and again after visiting and then he stayed home for almost eight hours alone. THis year he's coming with us, so he can be in the middle of everything and can OD on turkey and ham like the rest of us. Hurrah! Best present for him ever and very kind of my pops-in-law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Oooo, stag antlers. Good thinking!

A scratch post/climbing tower for the cats might be in order too, I just find them so expensive for what they are!
    Get one of these; it's expensive but the sisal is twice as thick as normal scratching tower and the rod is very solid. It will last quite a while and makes an excellent watching point for kitties (this is coming from someone who'll see fluff on a scratching tower with in a few months between all our cats; this one still shows no wear or tear from the abuse it's gotten).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

sadie06 wrote: »
    I haven't picked anything for our mucky pup yet, but just thought I'd share a feel good story about my mam bonding with our dog.

She really isn't a dog person, but this little guy has wormed his way in there, to the point where she bought him his own blanket so he can snuggle on their couch,and a little jacket that says 'Head Elf' on it. I nearly keeled over with shock.

I am comparing this to the phenomenon of grandparents being much softer with their grandchildren than they ever were with their children, as she was not like this with our own dogs growing up! :)

My mam was the same with my cats, growing up she would often comment on how much she hated cats and that they were dirty and disgusting etc. She would be the last person you would expect to allow a cat in the house. But when I adopted my kitten Blue she fell in love with her, she would kiss her and cuddle her and was besotted with her, she even let me adopt a second kitten after a while. She would bring them home nice tuna as a treat and loved when they would lie on her on the sofa. Then when I moved out with them she was devastated, shes always dropping up now to visit them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The cats Christmas present arrived today and they will be getting it early, a big massive climbing tree :) they each have a stocking where they get a pack of dreamies, a tin of applaws and a bottle of cat milk too but Santa paws brings those :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got a toy with 16 squeakers for the pup which I'm now questioning giving to her lol and going to get a new nylabone each as she's robbed all of them and the big guy has none...she'll probably rob all of the new ones too lol! :D Both our ham and turkey will be cooked bone in but I plan on cutting the turkey wings off for them as well as saving the neck and giblets :p Funny we have a stocking for Bailey that we put up as a joke - will have to get the pup one too! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I got the dog a soft toy tree trunk with three soft toy squirrels, he has to get the squirrels out of the tree trunk to play with them and I then get to put them back in and watch him do it all over again. It looks like good fun. He will be getting a new bed as well, just a. Single quilt from Argos doubled over and some quilt covers from the charity shop.

One of the cats has no I.D. tag or microchip so a good collar and an I.D. tag for Xmas for her, she constantly lost them when she was younger but she has slowed down a small bit now. And a microchip for her in the new year. The other cat will get some toys. The big present between the two will be a stockpile of some good quality food, haven't been able to afford it in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

have already bought the dogs a stuffed toy each (youngest dog will steal all of them and shred to bits without the others getting a look in -dunno why I bother). My MIL who is NOT an animal person always buys them (wrapped!) xmas presents from the v.expensive pet shop in Foxrock. They will get the turkey wings and lots of lovely leftovers mashed up in gravy for dinner. The hens will get cooked veggies, and the horse is so spoiled already that every day is xmas to him thanks to my daughter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Whatever his Secret Santa gets him, I'm stingey :D Oh and lot's of leftover turkey/ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My piggies are getting the Carrot and Beetroot Excel Salad Snacks from Burgess. I like them because they're natural and have no sugars or anything that a piggy shouldn't eat and the pigs go MAD for them. Also, the beetroot turns their poops pink, hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

waiting for the dog to write out his list:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Nody wrote: »
    Get one of these; it's expensive but the sisal is twice as thick as normal scratching tower and the rod is very solid. It will last quite a while and makes an excellent watching point for kitties (this is coming from someone who'll see fluff on a scratching tower with in a few months between all our cats; this one still shows no wear or tear from the abuse it's gotten).

We have one of those, best scratchy post we've ever had and even the rotund Felix loves to climb it and hang out of it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Our cats will be getting a couple of Pollock fish toys. Basically they are 11 inch long, tough cotton fish filled with catnip. They love them and kick and lick them literally to bits. We'll get them some dangle toys and ping pong balls too. Last year we had 2 Christmas stockings on the fireplace, this year there are 5:eek:

Advertisement