Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

walshb wrote: »
    The accent/diction comes across as contrived IMO. And maybe not just so people can understand him. It just doesn't sound free and natural.

Because it's not natural. It's put on. He himself admits it. Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Because it's not natural. It's put on. He himself admits it. Jaysus

Jaysus what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I used to work in a tourist information centre and I would talk completely differently when speaking to non english speaking tourist, he is just conscious of speaking clearly.

Jaysus what?

Jaysus it's frustrating seeing how many times it was explained on this and various other threads about his accent. Who gives a shjt if he was speaking Chinese.

• Advertisement

Jaysus it's frustrating seeing how many times it was explained on this and various other threads about his accent. Who gives a shjt if he was speaking Chinese.

I'd give a sh1t if he was speaking Chinese. I wouldn't understand a word he'd be saying. Duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hahahaha fighting over how a lad speaks. Pathetic.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Hahahaha fighting over how a lad speaks. Pathetic.

I wouldn't call it fighting. I have been informed that his accent is deliberate. I didn't realize that Conor had come out and confirmed this, hence why I was curious about it. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mike Tobacco

Mellor wrote: »
    If McGregor v Aldo happens, I'd be pretty confident that it would break PPV records below LW.
    I think a lot depends on how Conor performs tomorrow night. KO in under 2 mins as promised would be a huge boost in terms of promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I wouldn't call it fighting. I have been informed that his accent is deliberate. I didn't realize that Conor had come out and confirmed this, hence why I was curious about it. No problem.

Does it matter if he was putting it on not just so people can understand him as you said?

What was the point you're trying to get across?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Any win tonight means a shot at the title imho... he's effectively nailed on for it.

Its clever of him to be understandable to the US audience... good PR thinking.

The word people were looking for earlier in the thread is, "Bigot" rather than "Racist" imho. Not much different but I guess if you want to be pedantic.

Swedish slang for "pedant" literally translates to "insect fncker" because you have to be very very accurate and no one is interested in the outcome.

This has been a educational broadcast brought to you by the letter D.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Does it matter if he was putting it on not just so people can understand him as you said?

What was the point you're trying to get across?

No, it doesn't matter. I was just curious, that's all. End of. The point was brought up by someone else and it struck a chord with me.

I'd give a sh1t if he was speaking Chinese. I wouldn't understand a word he'd be saying. Duh!

I would. I'm fluent. :)

I would. I'm fluent. :)

Jammy ba%t&rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

DeVore wrote: »
    Any win tonight means a shot at the title imho... he's effectively nailed on for it.

Its not tonight btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Beersmith wrote: »
    Its not tonight btw

When is it then? And is it on TV?

:pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

>.<

I knew that. My brain just decided to take a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

will the weigh-ins be broadcast tonight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I don't like Connor, to cocky and far to WWE, like a poor man's sonnon, I hope he gets beat and finally has to face a grappler but am not going to sh1t over his accent ffs, obviously he speaks a bit slower and clearer so people outside Ireland can make out what he is saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Whosthis wrote: »
    will the weigh-ins be broadcast tonight?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwfuItMCVZ0

• Advertisement

Ok, I don't have the time now, but is this fight on Early Sunday Morning Irish time or Early Monday morning Irish time? I thought it was on January 17, Boston time, which is early hours of January 18 Irish time....Getting told different times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

If you stay up Sunday night till 3am (Monday morning) the main card stars then

dickwod1 wrote: »
    If you stay up Sunday night till 3am (Monday morning) the main card stars then

Thank you. 2-3 people telling me it's on tonight in Boston and early tomorrow morning in Ireland. I saw January 18 and I took it as Boston date. They didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just realised I won't get any sleep from 6 tomorrow morning till Monday evening at the earliest. Siver best make me some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The internet's will explode, should siver win which is not impossible.sivers not worried/scared bout Connor and conors not in his head.plus siver completely different fighter than his last 3.

Seen someone compare it to kimbo petrozelli :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If Siver can crack Conor with some nasty leg kicks it might slow his movement down should the fight go past the first found

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

fightpass the only place to get that?

Was on bt sports last night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

dave1982 wrote: »
    The internet's will explode, should siver win which is not impossible.sivers not worried/scared bout Connor and conors not in his head.

Have seen people say that Conor is not in Sivers head but I really dont know why people think that. I think he is clearly in his head the difference is Siver isnt shooting his mouth and getting into a slagging match like the others Conor has faced. Watching any of the videos over the last few days hes clearly angry and frustrated by McGregor and whats been said in the build up. Could be because English isnt his main language and he always is with a translator or could be hes just not into the posting videos and comments getting into mind games. Either way McGregor is in his head and has him wound up, there is no doubt on that in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

According to posters on Sherdog the UFC have been mistranslating Siver to hype up fight.
    As a german I have to say that the subtitles are mostly made up by the ufc's editors. He says "ich halte nichts von seinen Vorhersagen, deswegen habe ich es gesagt." which translates as "I don't give anything about his predictions [to k.o. me in 2 minutes] that's why i said it. [refering to his kiss my ass comment]. The editors translated it as " connor mcgregor is not a great fighter" lol.
    Also when the subtitles say " he's the opposite of a professional athlete" Siver actually says "His style is to attack people verbally, normally I'm the opposite of this and this behaviour is not my thing."
    Siver is a polite guy but the UFC is trying to make it look otherwise

Heres the thread

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/ufc-uses-deliberate-mistranslation-hype-up-fight-2913893/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Axwell wrote: »
    Have seen people say that Conor is not in Sivers head but I really dont know why people think that. I think he is clearly in his head the difference is Siver isnt shooting his mouth and getting into a slagging match like the others Conor has faced. Watching any of the videos over the last few days hes clearly angry and frustrated by McGregor and whats been said in the build up. Could be because English isnt his main language and he always is with a translator or could be hes just not into the posting videos and comments getting into mind games. Either way McGregor is in his head and has him wound up, there is no doubt on that in my mind.
    Siver looks like calm personified

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement