Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

_Jumper_ wrote: »
    Has Conor actually fought anyone decent??

I've just caught his last 3 now and they were woeful, how are these lads ranked as fighters in the first place?

Dustin was ranked 5 , silver ranked 10. He is beating ranked fighters however there is a huge difference in class between a top 5 fighter and top 3.

While there is a difference in class Conor is making these guys look woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I haven't seen anything special in the last three hyped fights. I know the lads are rated high, just something in the fights that hasn't grabbed my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Siver only rated 10th cause it suited the UFC to help hype Connor,
    He's more likely around the 15 mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Wow he really has ignited something with the haters in this country.

Keep it going Connor, it's very entertaining.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

walshb wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything special in the last three hyped fights. I know the lads are rated high, just something in the fights that hasn't grabbed my attention.

I would wager that you are not a boxer. Now, that's by no means a "do you even lift, bro??" comment, its just that to a boxer, watching his movement and his strikes, its really clear what a talent he has. That might not be obvious to someone who might be a fan of the sport but isn't into the technicalities of slips or hooks or footwork etc.
    I see him do things my coach tells me to do and I'm like "I'm supposed to move my head, roll my shoulder, turn my knee, shift my weight and hook.... while you try to punch me in the face??? Jog the fnck on! :) "

The reason the competition is looking amateur is because Conor's movement and technique makes them look amateur. Their strikes miss because his head movement is ungodly fast and good. He lights them up because even though they know its coming, his jabs and uppercuts are just too slick and accurate for them.

There is no, and has never really been, a question about Conor's talent as a boxer, if you train it, you can see it in him, and he makes it look effortless. Its true what he says, people want to talk about the trash talking, the antics, his opponents but never about his skill, because its just undeniable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Wow he really has ignited something with the haters in this country.

Keep it going Connor, it's very entertaining.

What makes me laugh is people defending Conor on here taking the haters bait:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

DeVore wrote: »
    I would wager that you are not a boxer. Now, that's by no means a "do you even lift, bro??" comment, its just that to a boxer, watching his movement and his strikes, its really clear what a talent he has. That might not be obvious to someone who might be a fan of the sport but isn't into the technicalities of slips or hooks or footwork etc.
    I see him do things my coach tells me to do and I'm like "I'm supposed to move my head, roll my shoulder, turn my knee, shift my weight and hook.... while you try to punch me in the face??? Jog the fnck on! :) "

The reason the competition is looking amateur is because Conor's movement and technique makes them look amateur. Their strikes miss because his head movement is ungodly fast and good. He lights them up because even though they know its coming, his jabs and uppercuts are just too slick and accurate for them.

There is no, and has never really been, a question about Conor's talent as a boxer, if you train it, you can see it in him, and he makes it look effortless. Its true what he says, people want to talk about the trash talking, the antics, his opponents but never about his skill, because its just undeniable.

You may need to check my posting history!:pac:

My point was more directed at the opposition. Conor for me has obvious talents. He has a boxing background.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My point (which I made in an overly long, round-a-bout meandering way, you may want to check my posting history :) ) ... is that his opposition didn't suddenly become crap... he makes them look crap by being a genuine genius at boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Siver only rated 10th cause it suited the UFC to help hype Connor,
    He's more likely around the 15 mark

Rankings are decided by selected members of the media, not the UFC.

I think it's great, Irish coach, Irish gym, Irish fighter.

It's brilliant to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

T-K-O wrote: »
    Dustin was ranked 5 , silver ranked 10. He is beating ranked fighters however there is a huge difference in class between a top 5 fighter and top 3.

While there is a difference in class Conor is making these guys look woeful.

Holloway is also a very good young fighter who will be top 10 before much longer. Conor manhandled him with one good leg.

McGregor is just very very good. Not sure if he beats Aldo but he's too good for everyone else bar maybe the top 3 in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

_Jumper_ wrote: »
    Has Conor actually fought anyone decent??

I've just caught his last 3 now and they were woeful, how are these lads ranked as fighters in the first place?
    he makes it look easy...but it's not

Holloway is also a very good young fighter who will be top 10 before much longer. Conor manhandled him with one good leg.

McGregor is just very very good. Not sure if he beats Aldo but he's too good for everyone else bar maybe the top 3 in the world.

Agreed, all things considered, holloway is probably the most talented guy he beat in the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

is this fight definite for 23rd may? looking to book flights
    i know its not confirmed , when will they confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

McGregor says he grew up getting into fights on the streets of Dublin.Where did he grow up, on the rte documentary the family house looked very upper class.

McGregor says he grew up getting into fights on the streets of Dublin.Where did he grow up, on the rte documentary the family house looked very upper class.

It is. His family home is in a nice area but I don't believe he grew up in that house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

He's a special talent and from now on he'll be fighting the best in the division and we'll get to see just how good he is. I for one cannot wait to see him fight Aldo, Mendes and Edgar.

I'll be honest, sometimes he grates on me and I do find him very cringy at times but I couldn't care less about his personality. I really don't get why it bothers people so much.

Aldo is prob my favourite fighter in MMA but I wont be disappointment to see McGregor win, he's an absolute joy to watch fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

T-K-O wrote: »
    It is. His family home is in a nice area but I don't believe he grew up in that house

he grew up in crumlin, where he lives now is lucan afaik

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He grew up in Crumlin, moved to Lucan later on when in Secondary School and a bit later started training in SBG.

Seriously...upper class? Sure he's practically part of the aristocracy.

Was this his house? http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00683/palace-versailles-4_683790c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just watching that fight again. No matter what Sivers ranking is, nobodies ruined him like that I can think of besides the quick finish by Cowboy. Its nearly disgusting how easy he made it look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I'll be cheering for Aldo when they fight, nothing to do with begrudgery, i've just been an Aldo fan from before I even knew who McGregor was. And yeah, I don't like Conor's personality. But I've all the admiration in the world for him as a fighter, so elegant, effortless and bloody dangerous. Even if McG wasn't Irish i'd still be as excited for this fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 floor

He is an embarrassment to ireland, he even sounds like a scumbag. katie taylor is someone i am very proud of am proud of but McGregor is just an other guy who is ruining the irish people in foreign lands. hes looks and sounds likes a psycho ....... great new stereotype for the irish people.

Even brock lesnar seems humble compared to this idiot.

floor wrote: »
    He is an embarrassment to ireland, he even sounds like a scumbag. katie taylor is someone i am very proud of am proud of but McGregor is just an other guy who is ruining the irish people in foreign lands. hes looks and sounds likes a psycho ....... great new stereotype for the irish people.

Even brock lesnar seems humble compared to this idiot.

Someone really should think of the children in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Just watching that fight again. No matter what Sivers ranking is, nobodies ruined him like that I can think of besides the quick finish by Cowboy. Its nearly disgusting how easy he made it look.

Melvin Guillard destroyed Siver in 36 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

xtal191 wrote: »
    Melvin Guillard destroyed Siver in 36 seconds

Very true. Forgot about that fight. Guillard hits like a train O_O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I could watch Conor throw uppercuts all day. A good performance, no injuries and now we get to see him fight Aldo. All in all well done Notorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Phoenix wrote: »
    Whiff of begrudgery here is unreal

Whiff or stench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I smell nut huggery:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement