Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

floor wrote:
    He is an embarrassment to ireland, he even sounds like a scumbag. katie taylor is someone i am very proud of am proud of but McGregor is just an other guy who is ruining the irish people in foreign lands. hes looks and sounds likes a psycho ....... great new stereotype for the irish people.

Katie Taylor Swift from fcuking Bray! hardly fecking Fox rock is it? She talks like a mix of pikey, culchie and scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

rusty cole wrote: »
    Can I just say, has anyone considered how hard this lad punches, cut through all the hype and crap and see it for what it is. Can you remember the last time you saw a 145lb'er do that to anothers face within one round? with so few blows?? Im just stating fact, and it gives me pause for thought.

consider the others, including Marcus brimmage just went down. brandao was the same as did Poirier. holloways face was in bits and that may have been worse only for the knee issue on McGregor.

so the latest guy makes it through a round, with a face like mutton and get cracked in half in the 2nd!! IM impartial here, but if he wasn't brash and didn't have the swagger, I think people would consider the facts. These are being clouded by the persona not the fighter.. shame.

Nail on the head with this post, Conor hits like a fcukin train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Poiriers comment on the fight:

Herb "can't wait to stop it" dean

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Saipanne wrote: »

Dustin "knocked the **** out" Poirier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Jesus. He should have baked a cake to thank Herb Dean for saving his life. His head was bouncing off the canvas like a basketball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jesus. He should have baked a cake to thank Herb Dean for saving his life. His head was bouncing off the canvas like a basketball.
    I think he meant the Siver fight. Equally ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mellor wrote: »
    I think he meant the Siver fight. Equally ridiculous.

He meant both, he was having a go at dean because he is obviously still annoyed from his loss.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The most talented man in the UFC is ... Herb Dean.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Lol Went onto Dustin's twitter to see this comment to find that I have been blocked from his twitter!! Only tweet I can remember to him was something along the lines of "You are out of your depth fighting Conor" Truth must hurt, as well as getting your head bounced of the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

A sign of intelligence is to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate one's self.

Dustin has obviously missed the train on this one. Just because you don't like what happened doesn't mean it didn't happen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    Lol Went onto Dustin's twitter to see this comment to find that I have been blocked from his twitter!! Only tweet I can remember to him was something along the lines of "You are out of your depth fighting Conor" Truth must hurt, as well as getting your head bounced of the ground!

Haha he blocked me aswell, I can't even remember tweeting him anything! Must have said something to him in the build up!

First he complains about an illegal shot, then about Herb Dean, he was wobbling around after the fight was stopped even!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Dustin's such a sore loser he's moved up a whole weight class. It's a matter of time before Conor chases him out of LW too.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

why do people think Conor wouldnt be able to take aldo down if other elite wrestlers havent managed it ( mendez and edgar) one difference between Conor McGregor and them is his sheer size and strength, he could just muscle him down if needed. Aldo hasnt impressed me much in his last few fights and hes starting to struggle making the weight ( has come from the man himself). To everyone hyping aldos leg kicks yeah they are ood, but Conor has fought at 155 and taken leg kicks from guys alot bigger and stronger that aldo although they may not throw the same speed or as frequently. Aldo at he end of the day is just another kick boxer and i can see Conor finding good range and angle on aldo and just picking him off for a couple of rounds before finishing him but regardless of what happens it will be a great fight and i intend of been at it

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I cant see Conor *wanting* to take Aldo down... seriously, would you want to be on the ground with a Brazilian :)

He might *try* it a few times to make Aldo think twice about the leg kicks but I can see this fight staying on its feet. Aldo's takedown defence is pretty legendary anyway.

Conor's wide karate stance will prove a tempting target for Aldo to kick at too.... but Conor is fast and I'm not sure he will just stand there to take the shots like others have against Aldo. :) In that regard Conor is right, Mendes vs Aldo was an awesome slug-a-thon but it looked first gen when you consider some other newer fighters movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

He wasnt watching Bellator on the weekend then. Herb failed to see someone was choked out and it went on a fair bit before he realised. When he broke them all you could see was the whites in yer mans eyes.
    What confused Herb was his arm didnt go limp it went stiff which sometimes happens they were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Good takedown defence alright.

b0WQR+(1).gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ush1 wrote: »
    Good takedown defence alright.

b0WQR+(1).gif

That really should be an automatic -1. It's happening a lot more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

why do people think Conor wouldnt be able to take aldo down if other elite wrestlers havent managed it ( mendez and edgar) one difference between Conor McGregor and them is his sheer size and strength, he could just muscle him down if needed. Aldo hasnt impressed me much in his last few fights and hes starting to struggle making the weight ( has come from the man himself). To everyone hyping aldos leg kicks yeah they are ood, but Conor has fought at 155 and taken leg kicks from guys alot bigger and stronger that aldo although they may not throw the same speed or as frequently. Aldo at he end of the day is just another kick boxer and i can see Conor finding good range and angle on aldo and just picking him off for a couple of rounds before finishing him but regardless of what happens it will be a great fight and i intend of been at it

A few things. I don't see how you can justify size as a reason for Conor having better takedowns than Edgar and Mendes. Edgar has outwrestled guys like Maynards and Henderson who had about 20 lbs on him yet he couldn't keep Aldo down. Not trying to sound condescending but to me it sounds silly when people say Conor will take him down. Secondly, I don't see how you can compare Aldo (#2 P4P) to some 155ers from cage warriors, different league altogether whether or not there's a slight size difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Aldo is a lot more than just another kick boxer

Jose is also a BJJ black belt, undefeated in 9 years, has won his last 10 title defences, undefeated at featherweight and has a 26-1 record.

Probably one of the best fighters of our time.

However I think he is on the decline, and I think Conor will take him out. I don't think he has ever fought someone who hits like Conor, few people have at that weight.

• Advertisement

I don't think he's in decline, I just think he's changed to a more conservative decision-winner rather than the killer he used to be.

Aldo's just too good for me. Mendes and Edgar are P4P 2 of the best fighters outside the title holders imo and neither came close to beating him. Conor has a chance but Aldo knows how to win over 5 rounds and he's far too hard to knock out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

he's far too hard to knock out as well.

Think this really depends on who is throwing. He has fought a lot of wrestlers recently but not many people with high level striking as far as I remember.

Think this really depends on who is throwing. He has fought a lot of wrestlers recently but not many people with high level striking as far as I remember.

Conor's probably the best striker he's faced, but Mendes has the most one punch power imo. Up until that fight his chin was unknown because he was barely ever hit, but he ate up some massive shots in that fight. He took an uppercut that KO's most of the division imo, and it barely wobbled him.

All that said, against Mendes I think it was the first time that Aldo actually looked possible to beat. Not an easy task obviously but he didn't look as invincible as before.

Conor's probably the best striker he's faced, but Mendes has the most one punch power imo. Up until that fight his chin was unknown because he was barely ever hit, but he ate up some massive shots in that fight. He took an uppercut that KO's most of the division imo, and it barely wobbled him.

Chad only has 6 wins by KO/TKO out of 16. Conor has 15 out 17. Its more than likely Conor is the harder hitter here.

Oh come on now, take away the stats for a minute and use your eyes. Did you watch Mendes' fights after the first Aldo fight? 4 KO/TKOs including the first time Guida's been KO'd in 50 odd fights. He's been a different fighter since then.

I don't mind you saying he's a harder hitter but more KO/TKO's in his career doesn't justify that. Early in his career Mendes was a wrestler and that's all, different fighter now. We'll find out how much power Conor has I guess but as much as I'd love to see him win by KO I don't see anyone at 145 KOing Aldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Forget your UMC title shots and MMF fighting Connor has really made the big time:

Oh come on now, take away the stats for a minute and use your eyes. Did you watch Mendes' fights after the first Aldo fight? 4 KO/TKOs including the first time Guida's been KO'd in 50 odd fights. He's been a different fighter since then.

I don't mind you saying he's a harder hitter but more KO/TKO's in his career doesn't justify that. Early in his career Mendes was a wrestler and that's all, different fighter now. We'll find out how much power Conor has I guess but as much as I'd love to see him win by KO I don't see anyone at 145 KOing Aldo.

I agree Chads boxing is much improved, but just because he had a run of 4 KO/tko I don't know why you would say he is the hardest hitter? He has spent a few years working on his hands compared to 15 years Conor has.

Why do you think Aldo could not be KO'd at 145? Does he have come kind special chin that all of Conor's previous opponents do not have?

You're missing my points. First of all, I was talking about 1 punch power. I already admitted that Conor McGregor is more skilled and varied in his striking, but Mendes is more likely to KO you. McGregor's UFC wins have been stoppages more based on wearing his opponents down with a high volume of strikes (Poirier aside). Mendes recent finishes have been a big shot that either finished the fight there and then or lead to him finishing soon after. That's why I was so impressed with Aldo eating up a clean uppercut from him, and that's why I think it's be hard for Conor to KO him.

On the last point, I don't know what to say about that. Do you think that all fighters are equally able to take a punch? Because that isn't the case. E.g. Brimage, Brandao etc. = Glass chin, Aldo, Diego Sanchez etc. = rock solid chin, very difficult to KO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Conor having better takedowns than Edgar and Mendes.

I never said he has better take downs than them but he is much much bigger than the two and were technique is big part in wrestling in terms of take downs so is your size and strength.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement