Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Aldo can take a punch

3%2Buppercut.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Love that uppercut.

It almost looks like Mendes didn't follow up as he was expecting it to have rocked him more than it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That's the uppercut I'm talking about. It KO's or at the very least knocks down nearly everyone else in the division imo, but it barely even wobbled him. It's scary how easy he took that uppercut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

You're missing my points. First of all, I was talking about 1 punch power. I already admitted that Conor McGregor is more skilled and varied in his striking, but Mendes is more likely to KO you. McGregor's UFC wins have been stoppages more based on wearing his opponents down with a high volume of strikes (Poirier aside). Mendes recent finishes have been a big shot that either finished the fight there and then or lead to him finishing soon after. That's why I was so impressed with Aldo eating up a clean uppercut from him, and that's why I think it's be hard for Conor to KO him.

On the last point, I don't know what to say about that. Do you think that all fighters are equally able to take a punch? Because that isn't the case. E.g. Brimage, Brandao etc. = Glass chin, Aldo, Diego Sanchez etc. = rock solid chin, very difficult to KO.

Personally I don't think there is anyone in the division who could eat a clean power shot from Conor. The fact he is a better striker means he does not load up on all his punches, like Chad sometimes does looking for a one hit one knock-out punch. It also puts him off balance and sets up counters.

I suppose what really matters is not how hard you hit but how effective your strikes are. I think Conor's finishing record speaks for itself.

On the last point, I agree some people can eat shots better than others. But this also changes throughout a fighters career, and depends on who is hitting them and how accurately they are getting hit. Even those with the toughest chins get laid out after enough damage.

Jose has had a long career, and has taken more damage in his last few fights than probably in his whole prior career. To me this is a sign he is on the decline for whatever reason, much like GSP in his last couple fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Chad only has 6 wins by KO/TKO out of 16. Conor has 15 out 17. Its more than likely Conor is the harder hitter here.

He never fought to knock guys out before though, he used to use his wrestling and grappling a lot. Then he lost to Aldo and said he was going to try to become a more exciting fighter.

He went on to TKO/KO his next four opponents, including Clay Guida who over the course of his career has taken more shots to the face than Katie Price but had never been finished by strikes.

Mendes has serious power. Aldo walked through his punches.

• Advertisement

That's the uppercut I'm talking about. It KO's or at the very least knocks down nearly everyone else in the division imo, but it barely even wobbled him. It's scary how easy he took that uppercut.

It hard to judge a chin on a single shot. In this case, both are slick with sweat so force can be lost with some slippage, this was not in the opening round so maybe Chad has lost some force. The connection looks to be a little bit behind the chin bit on the neck area. Jose head was not really moving down.

Its a hell of a punch, but had the factors been a bit different it could well have knocked him out. Maybe he was lucky it did not hit the sweet spot.

I am not saying Jose does not have a good chin. I am just saying just because handled this shot well does not mean he cannot be knocked out by anyone in the 145 division.

@Marty

His KO's are more down to volume than brute force as I was saying, and Aldo will be a lot harder to land on consistently. That's why I have my doubts over whether he can KO/TKO him, it's easier to land a massive pot shot like Mendes did (and he still barely wobbled from that).

I highly doubt Aldo will aquire a weaker chin after a few big shots from Mendes that he ate up, fighters do lose the ability to take shots but it's usually a long process. He ate massive shots against Mendes and I see him doing the same against McG.

On his decline, I think he's taken more shots lately because Edgar and Mendes are outstanding and better than his previous opponents. I don't think he's declined and I don't think he took that much damage in those fights either especially the Edgar one. I think Aldo's as good as ever and he might be even more motivated for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

It's amusing reading in here...blatantly obvious who is on a wind up and who has been watching the UFC for only the past year
    There are a few detractors who make their points well and have their opinions but it definitely appears to me that Conor's brashness is the real issue for these guys...when you don't like a guy you want to see him get beat, and embarrassed...I get it...don't hide behind "...but I wouldn't mind seeing him win blah blah BS", just say it...
    IMO a fan of combat sports looking at the fight on Sunday and doesn't see the performance as a thing of beauty should really ask themselves are they not biased... It was pure art and a joy to watch. I was mesmerised watching it...why?...because in all my years watching MMA, and I go back to 2000 so a fair way back, I have only seen 1 fighter fight in the manner McGregor does, particularly on Sunday...Anderson (Jones is far more aggressive)...he was just so comfortable, methodical, elusive and lethal...you just don't see fighters pick their opponent apart like that (I get that Siver isn't Edgar or Mendes but I'm not so sure he doesn't do the same...hopefully we'll see those fights in the next year)
    Next is Aldo, one of the best ever, still is...I don't know how it plays out, I can see it going both ways, but I haven't thought that about an Aldo fight since I watched him first in WEC, it's always been a given that he'd win...not now...and if you're telling me you seen that Mendes performance coming before their fight you're a liar, I had Aldo backed at something like 1.6 and I nearly shat myself watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

A timely reminder for all those under rating the beast that is Jose Also.

Fair enough.

Another factor is Jose recently struggling to make 145. As fighters get older they get bigger and it becomes harder and harder to cut down to lighter weights.

I don't 100% agree with everything you are saying,but you are also making valid points.

Guess we will have to wait and see. Half the fun is the anticipation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Aldo is not knocking out as many people as Conor recently because he's fighting better competion its really that simple ,
    History nearly always repeats it's self and people still don't see it,
    Look at other weight classes for example,

Hendrix knocking out people for fun on his way up the ladder untill he gets to Condit whos is elite and it stops , Condit,GSP & Lawor twice all survie,

Jones the same wrecking people on his way up the ladder and now he only stops middle weight's like Vitor and Sonnen, most natural LHW are 5 round fights,

Gsp was the same story all 5 round win's,

Its simply when you get to the top you have to fight the best nearly everytime out no more gimme fights, Given you get the odd one bacause of the money involved like Jone v Sonnen ,

Conor is getting gimmie fights when he fights Aldo that changes, even if he wins from there on out its the top guys on top form ,

The best guy Conor has fought on paper is Dustin,
    Dustin has been beat by Swanson & Zombie both of whom have fallen when they have faced any elite fighters, Swanson(aldo,lamasFrankie) Zombie (aldo only top guys he's fought)
    So i think its next to impossible to really say how Conor will do giving the level of fighter he has faced so far, highest being a 3rd teir fighter in Dustin

Aldo is not knocking out as many people as Conor recently because he's fighting better competion its really that simple ,
    History nearly always repeats it's self and people still don't see it,
    Look at other weight classes for example,

Hendrix knocking out people for fun on his way up the ladder untill he gets to Condit whos is elite and it stops , Condit,GSP & Lawor twice all survie,

Jones the same wrecking people on his way up the ladder and now he only stops middle weight's like Vitor and Sonnen, most natural LHW are 5 round fights,

Gsp was the same story all 5 round win's,

Its simply when you get to the top you have to fight the best nearly everytime out no more gimme fights, Given you get the odd one bacause of the money involved like Jone v Sonnen ,

Conor is getting gimmie fights when he fights Aldo that changes, even if he wins from there on out its the top guys on top form ,

All very valid. Agree completely. Can't wait to see him against the top guys from here on, win/lose/draw with Aldo...lets just hope there's no injuries to stop these fights from happening

The best guy Conor has fought on paper is Dustin,
    Dustin has been beat by Swanson & Zombie both of whom have fallen when they have faced any elite fighters, Swanson(aldo,lamasFrankie) Zombie (aldo only top guys he's fought)
    So i think its next to impossible to really say how Conor will do giving the level of fighter he has faced so far, highest being a 3rd teir fighter in Dustin

Interested to know...

Do you see McGregor posing a different challenge to Aldo than any of the other top FW's?
    How much of a chance do you give McGregor?
    What do you think is the most likely outcome of the fight?

Fair enough.

Another factor is Jose recently struggling to make 145. As fighters get older they get bigger and it becomes harder and harder to cut down to lighter weights.

I don't 100% agree with everything you are saying,but you are also making valid points.

McGregor also struggles to make weight, Sunday was the first time he ever made 145 lbs, every other time he has been 146

GK1001 wrote: »
    Interested to know...

Do you see McGregor posing a different challenge to Aldo than any of the other top FW's?
    How much of a chance do you give McGregor?
    What do you think is the most likely outcome of the fight?

Yes i see him McGregor causing a different problem because he's a tall rangey striker something we haven't seen Aldo fight in a while,
    I also think maybe Aldo may enjoy this seen as he won't have to worry about the takedown like he has since the Hommick fight,
    This may allow him to concentrate on his striking more and also allowing him to commit more to strike's when there in there,

id give Connor a chance because of his size and obvious power in his left hand, id be leaning 30/70 in Aldo's favour,

See the thing is we really don't know how good Conor is yet becasue of who he's fought, he could be the man to beat Aldo as he has been very impressive with the everyone he's fought so far ,

I think Conor starts well tthen Aldos speed and leg kick's catch up with him and he fades in 4 and is stopped,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah when you consider mendes hasnt beaten anyone top class ans still got 2 title fights you cant argue conor doesn't deserve one

@GK1001, If there's one thing Conor has going for him in this matchup it's that he's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

McGregor also struggles to make weight, Sunday was the first time he ever made 145 lbs, every other time he has been 146

The target has always been 146, at least in the UFC. He hit 145 last time to make a point - only championship fights require 145.

And he weighed in at 145 for his CW title shot v Dave Hill.

I don't think he likes the cut but he has no trouble making it. He's always looked fresh come the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Beersmith wrote: »
    Yeah when you consider mendes hasnt beaten anyone top class ans still got 2 title fights you cant argue conor doesn't deserve one

Exactly. The only person who he could be seen as skipping over is Frankie and he had his shot before.
    Korean Zombie and Mark Hominick got title shots for less than what Conor has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

darced wrote: »
    Dustin gave both Zombie and Swanson very good fights but Conor destroyed him,even Siver dominated Swanson for a round.

It looks to me that Aldo or Edgar are the only ones that can stop McGregor,Mendes maybe but he hasn't really beat any top fighters yet either.

Did siver dominate cub? I remember a close fight until the last minute or so when it was cub who dominated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

darced wrote: »
    First round just when he took him down an controlled him.
    He was on the PED's back then tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

flights are going thru the roof by the day sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Fromvert wrote: »
    Exactly. The only person who he could be seen as skipping over is Frankie and he had his shot before.
    Korean Zombie and Mark Hominick got title shots for less than what Conor has done.
    Frankie only having two fights in the last 18 months doesn't justify a second title shot imo anyway with one of those being against a terrible BJ penn

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Ricardo Lamas made a 7 minute video imitating Conor.
    If you watch a beheading video involving a family member, this will still be the worst thing you've ever seen.

http://severemma.com/2015/01/video-ricardo-lamas-imitating-mcgregor-the-delirious-conrad-mcgillicutty/

Why am I only watching this now! This is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

go6pw_zps70ctwavy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Fair enough.

He's only 28!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aldo at he end of the day is just another kick boxer
    LOL
    Why would be aim for go further once he makes 146lbs - Which in reality is 145.75-146

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement