Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jose's a killer, a different league to everyone else.
    He'll rightfully be the favourite over Conor.

However, consider this. He's been to a decision 5 out of his 7 UFC fights. Hominick, Florian, Edgar, Lamas, Mendes. And every one of them took a round off of him. Homminick in fact took took 2 points off him with a 10-8 round on two cards.

Is it really that much of a stretch to for Conor to take an extra 2 more rounds compared to previous. Because that's all it takes. People are getting too hung up on knock outs and finishes. A 48-47 win is much more likely imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Mellor wrote: »
    Jose's a killer, a different league to everyone else.
    He'll rightfully be the favourite over Conor.

However, consider this. He's been to a decision 5 out of his 7 UFC fights. Hominick, Florian, Edgar, Lamas, Mendes. And every one of them took a round off of him. Homminick in fact took took 2 points off him with a 10-8 round on two cards.

Is it really that much of a stretch to for Conor to take an extra 2 more rounds compared to previous. Because that's all it takes. People are getting too hung up on knock outs and finishes. A 48-47 win is much more likely imo.

The most sensible post since the fight was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

RebelSoul wrote: »

says Mellor's mum

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

says Mellor's mum

:pac::pac:

Hehe you're silly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

My head is melted, all I've heard about for days is McGregor. He's done well in his fights but you have to consider the level of opponent that he has faced and the style of those fighters. None of them are a world class wrestler, ala Frankie Edgar. None of them are the world class striker that Aldo is.

It's important not to be swayed by the emotion here. Do I think Conor will beat Aldo? No. Does that mean he isn't a top 5 fighter? No. However I do think that, while he has been impressive thus far, until he beats an Edgar or a Mendes then it's tough to take him all that seriously as the top contender for Aldo's title.

• Advertisement

until he beats an Edgar or a Mendes then it's tough to take him all that seriously as the top contender for Aldo's title.

Did you take Mendes seriously when he fought Aldo?
    Who had he fought at that point?

Cody McKenzie, Yaotzin Meza, Darren Elkins, Clay Guida, Nik Lentz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

How does anybody see McGregor beating Aldo?

Its not a snarky comment, a genuine question, for the people who think he will or can win, where do you think his success will come against Aldo?

I have been thinking about it a lot today and the only thing I can think of is his movement will give him opportunities to get shots off at him and if he can connect with a few he has to power to knock him out, other then that I don't see him having much success, Aldo will be aggressive, close the distance, I don't fancy Conor on the ground against him, you have to wonder how he will deal with the leg kicks too? Will their be a bit of a worry in his own head, a doubt regarding his knee perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RebelSoul wrote: »

Hard to give Conor credit enough to be able to go 5 rounds based on what we have seen so far though in fairness.

I hope it is a proper war anyway, win or lose he can hold his head high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

kryogen wrote: »
    How does anybody see McGregor beating Aldo?

Its not a snarky comment, a genuine question, for the people who think he will or can win, where do you think his success will come against Aldo?

I have been thinking about it a lot today and the only thing I can think of is his movement will give him opportunities to get shots off at him and if he can connect with a few he has to power to knock him out, other then that I don't see him having much success, Aldo will be aggressive, close the distance, I don't fancy Conor on the ground against him, you have to wonder how he will deal with the leg kicks too? Will their be a bit of a worry in his own head, a doubt regarding his knee perhaps?

I really think its impossible to call at this stage but I'd be more worried about Conor facing Frankie Edgar rather than Aldo. I think against Aldo McGregor will be abit more cautious, using his range hoping to hurt Aldo. I think he'll able to pick his shots and whether they're hard enough to hurt or finish Aldo and I think he can take a decision victory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

It's obvious Conor has been training hard on his groundwork too.

Who knows, he might well have come on a lot stronger in this department in the last few years but we haven't seen it yet.

He took the fight to the ground with Holloway when his knee popped, taking him down 3 times.

I know Holloway is a far cry from Aldo but that was also 2 years ago but he also has got his brown belt in this time.

It will be a great fight no doubt.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    It's obvious Conor has been training hard on his groundwork too.

Who knows, he might well have come on a lot stronger in this department in the last few years but we haven't seen it yet.

He took the fight to the ground with Holloway when his knee popped, taking him down 3 times.

I know Holloway is a far cry from Aldo but that was also 2 years ago but he also has got his brown belt in this time.

It will be a great fight no doubt.

He was competing as s high level purple bekt before his UFC debut. His grappling has always been more than adequate for the UFC. But Elite level wrestling (Edgar) and JiuJitsu (Aldo) is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

My head is melted, all I've heard about for days is McGregor. He's done well in his fights but you have to consider the level of opponent that he has faced and the style of those fighters. None of them are a world class wrestler, ala Frankie Edgar. None of them are the world class striker that Aldo is.

It's important not to be swayed by the emotion here. Do I think Conor will beat Aldo? No. Does that mean he isn't a top 5 fighter? No. However I do think that, while he has been impressive thus far, until he beats an Edgar or a Mendes then it's tough to take him all that seriously as the top contender for Aldo's title.

Frankie is far from world class at wrestling and Jose is not a world class striker.

Do they have good wrestling and striking in MMA compared to others yes. But both far off world class in either discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

kryogen wrote: »
    Hard to give Conor credit enough to be able to go 5 rounds based on what we have seen so far though in fairness.

I hope it is a proper war anyway, win or lose he can hold his head high.

Is it not 3 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

walshb wrote: »
    Is it not 3 rounds?

Title fight is 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

walshb wrote: »
    Is it not 3 rounds?

Title fights and main events are 5 rounds.

Is it not 3 rounds?

Main events and title fights are 5 x 5min rounds.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Title fight is 5.
    So is any main event. Brandao, and Siver were both 5 rounds also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I need to re-watch Aldo Mendes but I can remember thinking Aldo looked slower than previous fights. Kind of noticeable in that gif of Mendes nailing him with the uppercut. I could be wrong, maybe a symptom of the weight cuts getting more difficult.

One thing that does seem to be for sure is that Aldo slows down. If Conor can keep that "walk you down" pressure that may be a pathway to victory. Then again, Conor might slow down also in championship rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Aldo will kick Conor's legs off

• Advertisement

Aldo will kick Conor's legs off

John Kavanagh did a good write up on this. Leg kicks between a south paw and orthodox fighter can end badly like Anderson Silva v Weidman.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/ufc/conor-mcgregor/11194962/John-Kavanagh-Conor-McGregor-is-a-bad-stylistic-matchup-for-UFC-champion-Jose-Aldo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

John Kavanagh did a good write up on this. Leg kicks between a south paw and orthodox fighter can end badly like Anderson Silva v Weidman.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/ufc/conor-mcgregor/11194962/John-Kavanagh-Conor-McGregor-is-a-bad-stylistic-matchup-for-UFC-champion-Jose-Aldo.html

I stopped reading at, when this guy looked bad against this other guy, that makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Great article.

I stopped reading at when this guy looked bad against this other guy, that makes no sense.

I suppose the a valid point we can take away from this is the last time Jose threw a leg kick against a south paw he fractured his foot and had to change up his game plan and go for the take downs.

He probably wont be over eager to throw as many leg kicks as he might against an orthodox fighter. Conor really knows how to capitalise on being a Southpaw fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

5 x 5. That is some ask for any man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Personally I'm looking forward to Aldo beating & possibly knocking out McGregor, the level of delusion among some of the posters on here is incredible.

Aldo
    - Hasn't lost a fight in nearly ten years,
    - Has only lost one fight in his entire career, a submission when he was still a teenager, (mcgregor has achieved success with submission only once in his career)
    - Has beaten all the top contenders in the division, some on more than one occasion
    - Black belt in jiu jitsu
    - Has fought a diverse range of fighters & beaten them all, wrestlers to kickboxers
    - The second best pound for pound fighter in the UFC after Jon Jones

Mcgregor

- Hit Dustin Poirier a lucky punch on the back of the head & managed to TKO him after that
    - Beat a washed up Siver who shouldn't have been ranked anywhere near the top 10, top 15 at best.
    - Has lost twice already in his relatively short career.

May 23rd will be a reality check

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So Aldo's loss when he was young and green is irrelevant due to his age (19) and inexperience (7 fights) at the time.

But McGregor's 2 losses when he was young and green is entirely relevant regardless of his age (20, 22) and inexperience (3 fights, 5 fights) at those times?

Personally I'm looking forward to Aldo beating & possibly knocking out McGregor, the level of delusion among some of the posters on here is incredible.

Aldo
    - Has only lost one fight in his entire career, a submission when he was still a teenager, (mcgregor has achieved success with submission only once in his career)
    - Has beaten all the top contenders in the division, some on more than one occasion
    - Has fought a diverse range of fighters & beaten them all, wrestlers to kickboxers

Mcgregor

- Hit Dustin Poirier a lucky punch on the back of the head & managed to TKO him after that
    - Beat a washed up Siver who shouldn't have been ranked anywhere near the top 10, top 15 at best.

Funny that when you criticise others of being delusional , you highlight your own bias and delusion by irrationally addressing Conor's skill set and saying things like "a lucky punch". He certainly has delivered a sh!t load of lucky punches in his career then.

Two losses is nothing in MMA and were at the start of his career when he was still a white belt. 5 years ago was last time he lost so your kind of grasping at straws with that. I don't think 19 pro fights is a short career either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

leonidas83 wrote: »

Aldo

Mcgregor

How come when talking about Aldo's loss, it's "when he was still a teenager". Then you talk about McGregor and don't take HIS inexperience into account. Nor do you take into account that Conor's first loss was when HE was a teenager?

I too think Aldo will win, but your post is clearly biased!

EDIT: I'm obviously not the first to notice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

We could discuss this all day & I dont have the time to do that but the reality is May 23rd will be a big wake up call for Mcgregor & his fans who are nothing but an embarrassment with the way they go on.

I'm looking forward to it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement