Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Someone needs a hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just on a side note has anyone noticed the amount of local irish fighters calling out CM punk, seen 3 videos on my facebook news feed only last night, one or two are funny because the people seem a few sambo's short of a picnic,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Just on a side note has anyone noticed the amount of local irish fighters calling out CM punk, seen 3 videos on my facebook news feed only last night, one or two are funny because the people seem a few sambo's short of a picnic,

Doubt its just Irish fighters to be fair.

They seee him as some high profile low hanging fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im wondering if we can get a filter in here for the next few months for whenever someone types Leg Kicks it gets replaced with Cat Mittens or something.
    Yes Aldo has powerful leg kicks. We know, you know, you can be 100% that Conor and John know and know much better then any of us.
    Theres much more to this fight then leg kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,572 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

CM Punk to fight the winner of Shamrock and Quinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Personally I'm looking forward to Aldo beating & possibly knocking out McGregor, the level of delusion among some of the posters on here is incredible.

Aldo
    - Hasn't lost a fight in nearly ten years,
    - Has only lost one fight in his entire career, a submission when he was still a teenager, (mcgregor has achieved success with submission only once in his career)
    - Has beaten all the top contenders in the division, some on more than one occasion
    - Black belt in jiu jitsu
    - Has fought a diverse range of fighters & beaten them all, wrestlers to kickboxers
    - The second best pound for pound fighter in the UFC after Jon Jones

Mcgregor

- Hit Dustin Poirier a lucky punch on the back of the head & managed to TKO him after that
    - Beat a washed up Siver who shouldn't have been ranked anywhere near the top 10, top 15 at best.
    - Has lost twice already in his relatively short career.

May 23rd will be a reality check

I dont think theres much delusion going on here, by the looks of it most would put Aldo as favourite, as do I. But I think conor definitely has a chance.

You dont really need to list aldos positives...I think we all know how good a fighter he his. What you should do is try routing for positive things rather than negative..you'll be a much happier person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

We could discuss this all day & I dont have the time to do that but the reality is May 23rd will be a big wake up call for Mcgregor & his fans who are nothing but an embarrassment with the way they go on.

I'm looking forward to it

I mean, we might over hype Conor abit because he's Irish, but the people on here that have a huge chip on their shoulders unless you say Aldo is gonna finish Conor by leg kicks.

Aldo has been on the decline in recent fights and its a good styles match up for Conor, so he has a chance. Don't think either fighter is gonna be embarrased tbh, think it'll probably be a 5 round war.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

MagicIRL wrote: »

What's the time/tournament and opponent at 30 seconds? What a blow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

walshb wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

walshb wrote: »

Thats the Ivan Buchinger fight that won him the Cage Warrior LW champ belt. He moved to the UFC after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Im wondering if we can get a filter in here for the next few months for whenever someone types Leg Kicks it gets replaced with Cat Mittens or something.
    Yes Aldo has powerful leg kicks. We know, you know, you can be 100% that Conor and John know and know much better then any of us.

Also replace "high level wrestlers" and "top ranked (top 4) guys"

Ivan was very lucky that Conor showed some restraint, and lucky that the referee didn't allow Conor to strike again. As beautiful a one punch KO you could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just wondering how long would the UFC wait to have an interim bout for the belt if Aldo did a Cain and got injured for an extended period of time?. I doubt he would get as much leeway as Cain but just wondering about timescales?.

The Buchinger fight is probably my favourite of them all. Decided to head to it at the last minute and it was just a masterclass

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

califano wrote: »
    Just wondering how long would the UFC wait to have an interim bout for the belt if Aldo did a Cain and got injured for an extended period of time?. I doubt he would get as much leeway as Cain but just wondering about timescales?.

it would need to be close to 18 months with no sign of a return

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wonder what ticket prices will be like for this?

Last Vegas event I was at was UFC 116 and they ranged from $100 - $1000 (or maybe even $1200.

I had $300 seats and they were miles back. That was a Lesnar show though, anyone know what they were for Conor's last Vegas appearance?

DrPhilG wrote: »

Last Vegas event I was at was UFC 116 and they ranged from $100 - $1000 (or maybe even $1200.

I had $300 seats and they were miles back. That was a Lesnar show though, anyone know what they were for Conor's last Vegas appearance?

Thats just Vegas prices in general for PPV events

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Reminded me of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

As a counter to this leg kicks argument, what is Aldo going to do to stop McGregor's left hand? I'm fairly new to MMA, only really been following it the last couple of years so I could be very wrong but it appears to me that the left hand is McGregor's favourite weapon and a lot of his other offence is more of a deception just to create an opening to throw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Generally a left handed fighter wants to have his lead foot on the outside of his right handed opponents lead foot.

This sets up the left hand down the middle and keeps the left handed fighter away from the right handed fighters power hand.

So the lefty can land power and it makes it difficult for the right handed person to do the same.

Conor also slips the jab very well also which takes out the lead hand of the opponent also. Meaning he hits with power and it makes it difficult for the opponent to hit him with anything significant.

Conor is great at distraction like you mentioned above and seamlessly gets his feet in the right position to land the straight left.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I was at 178 and the tickets were the same as you described. We were miles away and ours were $300 or so.

BUT!!!! That was supposed to be Jones v Cormier so prices were high

Won't there be 2-3 inches height difference? Aldo having to shoot high and Conor having to strike sort of downwards with fists? Advantageous to Aldo in the sense that Conor is striking down, and advantageous to Conor in the sense that Aldo's striking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Same height as Siver so don't see that being too musch of an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I don’t see the logic where somebody is accused of having a chip on their shoulder or begrudgedy if they don’t buy into the hype of McGregor.

I have a problem with the way he conducts himself while claiming to represent Ireland. Acting like an arrogant prick & dismissing the likes of Aldo as a nobody or skinny little Brazilian is idiotic in the extreme.
    Sooner or later most UFC fighters lose a fight & when that day comes for Mcgregor, it will be interesting to see how he takes it & moves on from there.

Posters talk about the fact he’s gaining more attention & as a result more money but fighters should have a sense of fighters pride & respect about them as well, if all their doing it for is the money then sooner or later its curtains. If money is the sole thing that motivates you, what about when you have enough of that, does that mean you’re finished from a professional point of view.

I respect the way he has risen up through the rankings & think he's a top 6 fighter deservedly but he hasn’t fought anyone near the calibre of Aldo yet.

There is no doubt he would have this whole country & a sizeable part of the states behind him if he showed a bit of humility & respect for others while claiming to represent Ireland. I guess he & some other posters here have figured out what’s more important though,$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I was at 178 and the tickets were the same as you described. We were miles away and ours were $300 or so.

BUT!!!! That was supposed to be Jones v Cormier so prices were high

Yeah tickets for that one were $100-$1000. Hopefully a little lower this time because as big a draw as McGregor is, he's not Jon Jones.

That said, the UFC know that the Irish will travel in force for it so they may keep them high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

There is no doubt he would have this whole country & sizeable part of the states behind him if he showed a bit of humility & respect for others while claiming to represent Ireland. I guess he & some other posters here have figured out what’s more important though,$$$$$$

No mainly we dont get our knickers in a twist about the entertainment side of it and look forward positively to great fights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah tickets for that one were $100-$1000. Hopefully a little lower this time because as big a draw as McGregor is, he's not Jon Jones.

That said, the UFC know that the Irish will travel in force for it so they may keep them high.

Any idea of a likely venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I don’t see the logic where somebody is accused of having a chip on their shoulder or begrudgedy if they don’t buy into the hype of McGregor.

I have a problem with the way he conducts himself while claiming to represent Ireland. Acting like an arrogant prick & dismissing the likes of Aldo as a nobody or skinny little Brazilian is idiotic in the extreme.
    Sooner or later most UFC fighters lose a fight & when that day comes for Mcgregor, it will be interesting to see how he takes it & moves on from there.

Posters talk about the fact he’s gaining more attention & as a result more money but fighters should have a sense of fighters pride & respect about them as well, if all their doing it for is the money then sooner or later its curtains. If money is the sole thing that motivates you, what about when you have enough of that, does that mean you’re finished from a professional point of view.

I respect the way he has risen up through the rankings & think he's a top 6 fighter deservedly but he hasn’t fought anyone near the calibre of Aldo yet.

There is no doubt he would have this whole country & sizeable part of the states behind him if he showed a bit of humility & respect for others while claiming to represent Ireland. I guess he & some other posters here have figured out what’s more important though,$$$$$$

You're right, he should be like Mighty Mouse and bore us all to tears when he opens his mouth.

What he's doing is working, there'll be a few who say they don't like it but they're not relevant when so many like him. I'm delighted that there's an Irish athlete **** talking and being confident in themselves instead of the usual underdog, happy to be there mentality we get so much of.

Plenty of fighters down the years have been **** talkers and disrespectful to opponents BJ, Tito, Brock (that's the first few champs that came to my head). Mayweather, Ali in boxing as well. It's promotion, it works and always will.

It's fighting at the highest level, of course it's about the money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I see this fight similar to how i saw Jones Cormier, i haven't a clue how it is going to play out and that is what makes it exciting. It seems most people seem to have to have some kind of definitive prediction, just enjoy the unknown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement