Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Beersmith wrote: »
    Any idea of a likely venue?

UFC 187 is May 23rd in the MGM.

We're assuming that this is it will happen, Dana did say that Aldo vs McGregor will be in May in Vegas and that's the only date that fits.

I won't be booking flights until the fight is announced though, God knows when that will be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Fromvert wrote: »
    You're right, he should be like Mighty Mouse and bore us all to tears when he opens his mouth.

What he's doing is working, there'll be a few who say they don't like it but they're not relevant when so many like him. I'm delighted that there's an Irish athlete **** talking and being confident in themselves instead of the usual underdog, happy to be there mentality we get so much of.

Plenty of fighters down the years have been **** talkers and disrespectful to opponents BJ, Tito, Brock (that's the first few champs that came to my head). Mayweather, Ali in boxing as well. It's promotion, it works and always will.

It's fighting at the highest level, of course it's about the money!

A few, there's more than a few saying they don't like him.

And you mention Mayweather, 47 wins & he's never been beaten, not the same.

Brock lesnar dissappeared quite quickly aswell when he started losing. Plenty of others too, Naasem Hamed is another one, all well and good talking that **** on the way up when you're winning against inferior fighters, when you get schooled by a top class fighter in front of the world, people stop buying into you're bull**** fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

He said he was only performing at 30 to 40% in the siter fight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

leonidas83 wrote: »

Brock lesnar dissappeared quite quickly aswell when he started losing. Plenty of others too, Naasem Hamed is another one, all well and good talking that **** on the way up when you're winning against inferior fighters, when you get schooled by a top class fighter in front of the world, people stop buying into you're bull**** fairly quickly.

Yeah and they make money doing it, which is the point of it all. Competitive fighting is not a long career, especially at the top, obviously there's always the 1% of the 1% but you only have a few years at your peak and you have to maximise it.

Mayweather was barely cared about by the masses when he was 'Pretty Boy Floyd' he changes to 'Money Mayweather' and promotes himself like crazy and he becomes the biggest PPV draw around.

So if McGregor was to beat Aldo and take out the other contenders, he's allowed **** talk? But until then he has to keep it shut?

Don't worry you don't like him and want to see him KO'd, he will, everyone does eventually. We just don't know when it'll be yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

shutup wrote: »
    Your problem is you are trying to make logical points with people on an mma forum.
    Did you happen to see the people asking Aldo questions at his recent Boston Q and A? This is the level of person you are dealing with here.

We have feelings too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Your problem is you are trying to make logical points with people on an mma forum.
    Did you happen to see the people asking Aldo questions at his recent Boston Q and A? This is the level of person you are dealing with here.

?? every response has been measured and logical, explaining why they think a certain way. Unlike your sweeping generalisation just there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Naaesm Hamed was fat and out of shape and still made weight and went the distance in the only fight he ever lost
    he retired cos he couldn't be bothered anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I don’t see the logic where somebody is accused of having a chip on their shoulder or begrudgedy if they don’t buy into the hype of McGregor.

I have a problem with the way he conducts himself while claiming to represent Ireland. Acting like an arrogant prick & dismissing the likes of Aldo as a nobody or skinny little Brazilian is idiotic in the extreme.
    Sooner or later most UFC fighters lose a fight & when that day comes for Mcgregor, it will be interesting to see how he takes it & moves on from there.

Posters talk about the fact he’s gaining more attention & as a result more money but fighters should have a sense of fighters pride & respect about them as well, if all their doing it for is the money then sooner or later its curtains. If money is the sole thing that motivates you, what about when you have enough of that, does that mean you’re finished from a professional point of view.

I respect the way he has risen up through the rankings & think he's a top 6 fighter deservedly but he hasn’t fought anyone near the calibre of Aldo yet.

There is no doubt he would have this whole country & a sizeable part of the states behind him if he showed a bit of humility & respect for others while claiming to represent Ireland. I guess he & some other posters here have figured out what’s more important though,$$$$$$

There is a big difference between being a lifelong martial artist and a prize fighter.

The goal of prize fighting is to get in make as much money as possible in the shortest period of time and get out, with as little damage taken as possible.

A life long martial artist will continue his/her journey working on skills and technique and sharing with others for as long as he/she can.

Right now Conor is entering the prime prize fighting years of his life and he is doing everything to make as much money as possible. I am sorry this does not fit into your own pre conceived idea of how a fighter should behave. But it is working for him and he is making money.

There are 1000s of broke fighters out there who will never have the spot light on them, when it does shine on you, you better make the best out of it while you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Tigger wrote: »
    Naaesm Hamed was fat and out of shape and still made weight and went the distance in the only fight he ever lost
    he retired cos he couldn't be bothered anymore

He was battered & humiliated, I saw the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

John Kavanagh did a good write up on this. Leg kicks between a south paw and orthodox fighter can end badly like Anderson Silva v Weidman.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/ufc/conor-mcgregor/11194962/John-Kavanagh-Conor-McGregor-is-a-bad-stylistic-matchup-for-UFC-champion-Jose-Aldo.html
    "Ultimately, I believe Conor poses too many problems in too many areas for these guys. It's something I say to him when we're walking out. 'We have too many weapons here.' Conor is a 21st century soldier with a rifle that can pick someone off a mile away. These guys are standing in the field with a two-by-four with a rusty nail sticking out of it."

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

He was battered & humiliated, I saw the fight.

i saw the fight also

watch the last round again Barrera is dirty out of the clinch and then he puts Naseem in a full nelson and pushes him into the turn buckle
    Naseem is still looking for the left to connect at the bell.
    he wasnt humilliated
    he had made £30,000,000 at that stage and made £7,500,000 in that year alone.
    911 had happened and American TV didn't want a fighter with Islam written on his trunks and dedicating his fights to Islam so the contracts just wern';t there
    he was a prize fighter and he made his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Frankie is far from world class at wrestling and Jose is not a world class striker.

Do they have good wrestling and striking in MMA compared to others yes. But both far off world class in either discipline.

Obviously I mean in MMA terms, I'm not advocating that Frankie go to the Olympics. However in MMA term, Frankie's control and Aldo's striking make them superior MMA fighters to McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Aldo took some abuse from Mendes' hands in the last fight. I can see Conor doing a lot worse to him. I don't see this as some 60 second KO, but I believe McGregor will stop Aldo late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Mellor wrote: »
    He was competing as s high level purple bekt before his UFC debut. His grappling has always been more than adequate for the UFC. But Elite level wrestling (Edgar) and JiuJitsu (Aldo) is something else.

I have a feeling McGregor is a freak a la Jon Jones...we haven't seen half of what he's got in his locker because he hasn't had to dig that deep yet...it's an unknown for sure but I have a feeling he will surprise many

In relation to the Jones comparison in my comment above you (plural) should have a listen to Brian Stann talk on Joe Rogans Podcast a couple of weeks back, about Jones when he first arrived at Jacksons and training with him and how he knew nothing about certain aspects of MMA but just picked them up ridiculously quickly...a good listen and shows it doesn't matter what belt you are when you're a freak like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Tigger wrote: »
    he had made £30,000,000 at that stage and made £7,500,000 in that year alone.

Have you seen him lately? He looks like he has spent most of it on food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I don’t see the logic where somebody is accused of having a chip on their shoulder or begrudgedy if they don’t buy into the hype of McGregor.

I have a problem with the way he conducts himself while claiming to represent Ireland. Acting like an arrogant prick & dismissing the likes of Aldo as a nobody or skinny little Brazilian is idiotic in the extreme.
    Sooner or later most UFC fighters lose a fight & when that day comes for Mcgregor, it will be interesting to see how he takes it & moves on from there.

Posters talk about the fact he’s gaining more attention & as a result more money but fighters should have a sense of fighters pride & respect about them as well, if all their doing it for is the money then sooner or later its curtains. If money is the sole thing that motivates you, what about when you have enough of that, does that mean you’re finished from a professional point of view.

I respect the way he has risen up through the rankings & think he's a top 6 fighter deservedly but he hasn’t fought anyone near the calibre of Aldo yet.

There is no doubt he would have this whole country & a sizeable part of the states behind him if he showed a bit of humility & respect for others while claiming to represent Ireland. I guess he & some other posters here have figured out what’s more important though,$$$$$$

Are you the only one who didn't see him bow to Poirier after the fight? In the build up he is just trying to sell the fight, and his skill at this perhaps exceeds even his fighting skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Absolute nonsense. Some of the most intelligent mma discussion ive read has been on here. If you have such an issue with it then why are you here?

Saipanne wrote: »
    Are you the only one who didn't see him bow to Poirier after the fight? In the build up he is just trying to sell the fight, and his skill at this perhaps exceeds even his fighting skill.

And hugged siver after the press conference.

He is humble in defeat and victory and has said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Aldo took some abuse from Mendes' hands in the last fight. I can see Conor doing a lot worse to him. I don't see this as some 60 second KO, but I believe McGregor will stop Aldo late on.

I'm the same. I can't see it being one sided at all, but I can't remember they're being a more devasting striker at Featherweight then Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    Surely you are joking he is the least humble fighter on the roster.

There are two ways to do it just look at the difference between Mayweather and Pac-man.

Pac-man doesnt trash talk yet has made mountains of cash by doing his talking in the ring and it made zero difference to his career because he was just that good.
    I still cant hide my dislike for McGregor when he is calling other pro's -Nazi's,Midgets,Hillbillies,rednecks etc. etc. and then crys like a baby when someone gives it back.

I always want McGregor to win because he is exciting,which has nothing to do with his antics outside the cage which are cringeworthy,but I genuinely think he is the most exciting guy in the UFC when he is actually fighting.

Ah seriously it's all a bit of banter you would hear in a pub or between groups of lads when together.

There is nothing malicious, i mean they are getting into a ring to kick lumps out of each other, I think a few little slaggings is the least of their worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The state of this thing Aldo posted (a Brazilian promo that was edited to show Aldo going into the cage, Conor looking scared and jumping out of the cage). He wouldn't even do a face off in the cage due to fear superstitions.

http://instagram.com/p/yNIrhcDTjk/

Guess who's doing the UFC 183 Q and A?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

sheehy83 wrote: »
    The state of this thing Aldo posted (a Brazilian promo that was edited to show Aldo going into the cage, Conor looking scared and jumping out of the cage). He wouldn't even do a face off in the cage due to fear superstitions.

http://instagram.com/p/yNIrhcDTjk/

That's acutely class haha and as said above its down to how much the lamas video got to conor, but that could have been mainly because he was locked at that presser.

darced wrote: »

and UFC Aldo has finished 5 in 7. If it goes 5 rounds, McGregors fighting style can pick him up a UD victory.

ASOT wrote: »
    That's acutely class haha and as said above its down to how much the lamas video got to conor, but that could have been mainly because he was locked at that presser.

Have to say, they should load Conor up on whiskey every press conference!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Have to say, they should load Conor up on whiskey every press conference!

Yeah I taught it was hilarious myself, Dana trying to stop him from talking but he was having none of it haha

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Guess who's doing the UFC 183 Q and A?

That should be a laugh, UFC at the momemt are reminding me of the fillm Great White Hype were they are building up a Boxing title fight and the altercations and hyping leading up to the fight, the promoters can just see bags of money every time the 'white hype' does an interview.

Side note, brilliant film if anyone hasn't seen it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement