Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

sheehy83 wrote: »
    That should be a laugh, UFC at the momemt are reminding me of the fillm Great White Hype were they are building up a Boxing title fight and the altercations and hyping leading up to the fight, the promoters can just see bags of money every time the 'white hype' does an interview.

Side note, brilliant film if anyone hasn't seen it.

I actually haven't, I'll give it a watch later on tonight anyway. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He wouldn't even do a face off in the cage due to fear superstitions.

Or maybe because as soon as the fight was over Conor hopped the cage and ran over to him

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JJayoo wrote: »
    Or maybe because as soon as the fight was over Conor hopped the cage and ran over to him

Hey hey hey we're trying to hype a fight here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Brilliant show alright.

What's the White lads name again? Is it 'Irish' Terry Conlon?? Conklin?

Or is that a different film?

And the state of the champ going into the ring for the title fight. The gut on him. Have to watch it again over the weekend. Cheers for the trip down memory lane. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

"but I'm not Irish!"
    "Don't worry, in boxing it just means you're white" :D

Must watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Have to say, they should load Conor up on whiskey every press conference!

He was a shambles at the end, half cut and talking nonsense. He didn't do himself any justice after that fine performance in the octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Tobyglen wrote: »
    He was a shambles at the end, half cut and talking nonsense. He didn't do himself any justice after that fine performance in the octagon.

Nonsense, he was normal as always. He's not predictable, he's erratic and people like that.

The only Irish people who have a problem are the ones who are insecure and cannot handle an Irish athlete talking **** and believing in themselves to the max. The problem happens when people cannot understand that so much of this game is built on mental strength. I've never seen any athlete with the belief in themselves that Conor has - and that is not fake. Conor goes in believing that he will pull the victory out regardless of what happens. It doesn't mean he doesn't prepare - it's pretty obvious that Conor's work ethic is insane.

I find it very disheartening to see so many Irish people complaining about someone who has literally dedicated his life to a profession and is finally enjoying life. For what it's worth, I'm not a friend of Conor. I've met him once in a ten second encounter, and he literally bowed before me, shook my hand and put his arm around me for supporting him. Conor is far from the dis-respectable lad that people think. He's an elite athlete who knows how to make the most of a dangerous and short career. He works the media but he's such a down-to-earth guy. It's such a shame that people are intimidated by confidence. Yep, he disrespects people, are you really going to complain that his words are disrespectful before he tries to KO or Submit them? Combat is not just physical, it's mental. And Conor has elite mental strength (as well as talent).

Conor is an elite athlete and is very astute. It's a short career, one in which he puts his health at risk for public entertainment. I've been an MMA fan long before Conor, and I'll continue to be after. But **** knows I'm not going to ignore that we have one of the most talented and exciting fighters in all of the UFC at the moment. Seriously, who would have thought this two years ago?

This forum is brilliant. It's a shame that it's a mess for the two weeks after Conor fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

moneyman wrote: »
    Nonsense, he was normal as always. He's not predictable, he's erratic and people like that.

The only Irish people who have a problem are the ones who are insecure and cannot handle an Irish athlete talking **** and believing in themselves to the max. The problem happens when people cannot understand that so much of this game is built on mental strength. I've never seen any athlete with the belief in themselves that Conor has - and that is not fake. Conor goes in believing that he will pull the victory out regardless of what happens. It doesn't mean he doesn't prepare - it's pretty obvious that Conor's work ethic is insane.

I find it very disheartening to see so many Irish people complaining about someone who has literally dedicated his life to a profession and is finally enjoying life. For what it's worth, I'm not a friend of Conor. I've met him once in a ten second encounter, and he literally bowed before me, shook my hand and put his arm around me for supporting him. Conor is far from the dis-respectable lad that people think. He's an elite athlete who knows how to make the most of a dangerous and short career. He works the media but he's such a down-to-earth guy. It's such a shame that people are intimidated by confidence. Yep, he disrespects people, are you really going to complain that his words are disrespectful before he tries to KO or Submit them? Combat is not just physical, it's mental. And Conor has elite mental strength (as well as talent).

Conor is an elite athlete and is very astute. It's a short career, one in which he puts his health at risk for public entertainment. I've been an MMA fan long before Conor, and I'll continue to be after. But **** knows I'm not going to ignore that we have one of the most talented and exciting fighters in all of the UFC at the moment. Seriously, who would have thought this two years ago?

This forum is brilliant. It's a shame that it's a mess for the two weeks after Conor fights.

Brilliant post. Who would have thought a few years ago an Irish man would fight for a UFC belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

His post fight press conference was brilliant, as was his interview while cutting weight. No hype or act just straight talking, hes pretty fascinating when just being himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Brilliant post. Who would have thought a few years ago an Irish man would fight for a UFC belt.

will win

• Advertisement

Populist post and you missed my point. I like McGregor, seen him in his cage warriors days, watch all his fights, follow him closely, like you I met the guy and he's a nice bloke but he was being a drunken prat at the end of that presser and it was hard to listen to it. Didn't come across like his usual witty self and was completely obnoxious.
    I love his confidence, it's infectious and I sincerely hope he becomes world champ but as pending champ imo he's got responsibilities to be a decent role model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That should be a laugh, UFC at the momemt are reminding me of the fillm Great White Hype were they are building up a Boxing title fight and the altercations and hyping leading up to the fight, the promoters can just see bags of money every time the 'white hype' does an interview.

Great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Populist post and you missed my point. I like McGregor, seen him in his cage warriors days, watch all his fights, follow him closely, like you I met the guy and he's a nice bloke but he was being a drunken prat at the end of that presser and it was hard to listen to it. Didn't come across like his usual witty self and was completely obnoxious.
    I love his confidence, it's infectious and I sincerely hope he becomes world champ but as pending champ imo he's got responsibilities to be a decent role model.

He IS a fantastic role model though, of a prize fighter, a martial artist and as a Man

He is doing only what it is a prize fighter should do in creating interest in his fights and himself and thereby creating opportunities to make as much money as he possibly can in his short career whilst he is at his physical peak. Any aspiring mixed martial artist looking to make a career for himself and stick out of the pack could certainly learn a thing or two.

As a martial artist, he is on the constant quest we all are as martial arists, to strive to always get better. To be dedicated, humble, and unwavering in his approach. An example to every martial artist he encounter, young and old.

He enjoys the fruits of his success, but you've heard how he treats his fans, he's got a very close team and family around him and whilst he might drink some fancy whiskey whilst having a laugh at a f***in' stuffy press conference, I think if you get annoyed by this, you'd have hated Ali and every other showman to ever grace fight sports.

Honestly I can't see kids focusing on what goes on in the fight promotion phase, but what goes on inside the Octogon. In the gym. They see the work put in and the value and importance of it. With SBG hitting 400 members, many of them kids and teens and with club memberships up in a big way all around the country, I think the overall effect is an overwhelmingly positive one. Martial arts are good for us and are in the spotlight on this country than ever before. The

As a role model bestower, taking all this s into consideration, you'd have to have some really stingy criteria to not give Conor the golden sash of Role Modeldom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

John_D80 wrote: »

And the state of the champ going into the ring for the title fight. The gut on him.

Ah now, some around here would have you believe that a gut is essential to protect a fighter from body shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Might set up a new account to thank that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Richy06 wrote: »
    He IS a fantastic role model though, of a prize fighter, a martial artist and as a Man

He is doing only what it is a prize fighter should do in creating interest in his fights and himself and thereby creating opportunities to make as much money as he possibly can in his short career whilst he is at his physical peak. Any aspiring mixed martial artist looking to make a career for himself and stick out of the pack could certainly learn a thing or two.

As a martial artist, he is on the constant quest we all are as martial arists, to strive to always get better. To be dedicated, humble, and unwavering in his approach. An example to every martial artist he encounter, young and old.

He enjoys the fruits of his success, but you've heard how he treats his fans, he's got a very close team and family around him and whilst he might drink some fancy whiskey whilst having a laugh at a f***in' stuffy press conference, I think if you get annoyed by this, you'd have hated Ali and every other showman to ever grace fight sports.

Honestly I can't see kids focusing on what goes on in the fight promotion phase, but what goes on inside the Octogon. In the gym. They see the work put in and the value and importance of it. With SBG hitting 400 members, many of them kids and teens and with club memberships up in a big way all around the country, I think the overall effect is an overwhelmingly positive one. Martial arts are good for us and are in the spotlight on this country than ever before. The

As a role model bestower, taking all this s into consideration, you'd have to have some really stingy criteria to not give Conor the golden sash of Role Modeldom.
    Everyone loves a good Prize fighter who speaks his mind and who's different. Doesn't stop the fact that sometimes they go overboard. Eg Conor with his Nazi slur etc. Some of the de facto Conor is only speaking his mind, world is gone mad PC isn't correct. To continue with the ridiculous Muhammad Ali comparisons, even the best get it wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HBnc8YNaaQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Everyone loves a good Prize fighter who speaks his mind and who's different. Doesn't stop the fact that sometimes they go overboard. Eg Conor with his Nazi slur etc. Some of the de facto Conor is only speaking his mind, world is gone mad PC isn't correct. To continue with the ridiculous Muhammad Ali comparisons, even the best get it wrong!

Good lord if mcgregor said that he'd be arrested

Richy06 wrote: »

Everyone loves a good Prize fighter who speaks his mind and who's different. Doesn't stop the fact that sometimes they go overboard. Eg Conor with his Nazi slur etc. Kids focus on everything outside the fight, they try and talk the way he talks, carry themselves the way he carries himself so he has responsibility now, getting hammered at the presser just is a bad image. Some of the de facto Conor is only speaking his mind, world is gone mad PC isn't correct. To continue with the ridiculous Muhammad Ali comparisons, even the best get it wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Aldo has used the footage of Conor jumping out of the ring in a pretty clever way on his Instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/yNIrhcDTjk/?modal=true&utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

The Portuguese translates to "Can't run away. He will get you."

Roll on May - I think Aldo and the Brazilian fans are going to hype to up to insane levels in the run up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Saw this on *cough* sherdog *cough* but its a valid point. Conor has definitely had the hardest path to the title shot
    Conor McGregor
    ---
    1. To get title shot: Dennis Siver
    2. Dustin Poirier
    3. Diego Brandao
    4. Max Holloway
    5. Marcus Brimmage
    --
    Chad Mendes
    ----
    1. To get title shot: Nik Lentz
    2. Clay Guida
    3. Darren Elkins
    4. Yaotzin Mera
    5. Cody McKenzie
    ---
    Ricardo Llamas
    ---
    (Fought Aldo after a year of inactivity)
    1. Eric Koch
    2. Hatsu Hioki
    3. Cub Swanson
    4. Matt Grice
    ---
    Korean Zombie
    ---
    1. To get title shot: Dustin Poirier
    2. Mark Hominick
    3. Leonard Garcia
    ---
    Frankie Edgar
    ---
    Fought for the title coming off two losses to Ben Henderson
    --
    Kenny Florian
    ---
    1. Diego Nunes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I don't think no one is saying Conor has had a easy road to the title

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't see how that really shows how Conor had a harder path than Mendes or Lamas tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I don't, I don't...

Let's sit back and see.

In all fairness, they don't understand the skill involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Don't know anything about boxing but you'd have to be living under a rock not to hear about Conor McGregor last week - didn't really know of him until then! He seems to be everywhere these days. He's obviously unreal at what does but I saw snippets of him talking and I just thought he was quite arrogant and full of himself, I just think there's a border between confident and cocky. I haven't seen much of him so maybe I've misjudged him? Not denying he's a great boxer though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Don't know anything about boxing but you'd have to be living under a rock not to hear about Conor McGregor last week - didn't really know of him until then! He seems to be everywhere these days. He's obviously unreal at what does but I saw snippets of him talking and I just thought he was quite arrogant and full of himself, I just think there's a border between confident and cocky. I haven't seen much of him so maybe I've misjudged him? Not denying he's a great boxer though

Welcome to the MMA forum :-)

Conor is a professional Mixed Martial Artist. Not a boxer. And kinda popular round these parts with most of the posters here.

He does have his detractors here also though. As you will see if you stick around. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Lollipop95 wrote: »

It's all an act, and one that will make him big money. God knows where his personality will take him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Montroseee wrote: »
    It's all an act, and one that will make him big money. God knows where his personality will take him.

Probably champion for a considerable amount of time.

I believe the UFC can assign prizemoney in whatever way they like. As someone who dislikes McGregor it worries me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement