Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

moneyman wrote: »
    Nonsense, he was normal as always. He's not predictable, he's erratic and people like that.

The only Irish people who have a problem are the ones who are insecure and cannot handle an Irish athlete talking **** and believing in themselves to the max. The problem happens when people cannot understand that so much of this game is built on mental strength. I've never seen any athlete with the belief in themselves that Conor has - and that is not fake. Conor goes in believing that he will pull the victory out regardless of what happens. It doesn't mean he doesn't prepare - it's pretty obvious that Conor's work ethic is insane.

I find it very disheartening to see so many Irish people complaining about someone who has literally dedicated his life to a profession and is finally enjoying life. For what it's worth, I'm not a friend of Conor. I've met him once in a ten second encounter, and he literally bowed before me, shook my hand and put his arm around me for supporting him. Conor is far from the dis-respectable lad that people think. He's an elite athlete who knows how to make the most of a dangerous and short career. He works the media but he's such a down-to-earth guy. It's such a shame that people are intimidated by confidence. Yep, he disrespects people, are you really going to complain that his words are disrespectful before he tries to KO or Submit them? Combat is not just physical, it's mental. And Conor has elite mental strength (as well as talent).

Conor is an elite athlete and is very astute. It's a short career, one in which he puts his health at risk for public entertainment. I've been an MMA fan long before Conor, and I'll continue to be after. But **** knows I'm not going to ignore that we have one of the most talented and exciting fighters in all of the UFC at the moment. Seriously, who would have thought this two years ago?

This forum is brilliant. It's a shame that it's a mess for the two weeks after Conor fights.

If Conor was not Irish (especially if he was British), pretty much everybody here would despise him. Lest us not think otherwise.

(Fan of him btw). . .

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Probably champion for a considerable amount of time.

I believe the UFC can assign prizemoney in whatever way they like. As someone who dislikes McGregor it worries me.

It worries you that someone you dislike will win loads of money? There's a word for that...
    1. Jealous - resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    It worries you that someone you dislike will win loads of money? There's a word for that...
    1. Jealous - resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.

No.

It worries me that a fight between 2 fighters does not have a set amount assigned to winners and losers. I think this is the case in the UFC.

Mcgregor might get a larger sum for winning thus giving him more incentive.

What's to stop them giving Aldo more money for losing than winning???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

No.

It worries me that a fight between 2 fighters does not have a set amount assigned to winners and losers. I think this is the case in the UFC.

Common sense you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

roryc wrote: »
    Aldo has used the footage of Conor jumping out of the ring in a pretty clever way on his Instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/yNIrhcDTjk/?modal=true&utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

The Portuguese translates to "Can't run away. He will get you."

Roll on May - I think Aldo and the Brazilian fans are going to hype to up to insane levels in the run up.

Anyone know when the official date will be announced? Defo 23rd May?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

No.

The amount they're paid is based off their contract. Each fighter has an previously agreed upon sum for a specific number of fights. They will be paid X amount for fighting and further X for winning the fight. After they've performed the number of fights listed under the contract, they'd then re-negotiate for a new one. Since Aldo has been champion for quite some time, you can safely assume that his contract would be fairly rewarding.

Separate from that you've the performance bonuses which are assigned based on the best performances of the night.

All of these are grounds for any fighter, Aldo included to perform as well as possible to ensure higher income on the night as well as in future in relation to their contract.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The amount they're paid is based off their contract. Each fighter has an previously agreed upon sum for a specific number of fights. They will be paid X amount for fighting and further X for winning the fight. After they've performed the number of fights listed under the contract, they'd then re-negotiate for a new one. Since Aldo has been champion for quite some time, you can safely assume that his contract would be fairly rewarding.

Separate from that you've the performance bonuses which are assigned based on the best performances of the night.

All of these are grounds for any fighter, Aldo included to perform as well as possible to ensure higher income on the night as well as in future in relation to their contract.
    Plenty of undisclosed bonuses too and also when you think about how the UFC can fire you more or less whenever they like there is plenty of potential for abuse there, not that I think it would happen in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Must be one of the most ill informed, ignorant excuses of an article ever written.

F357DDCA-F387-45E5-88C9-59DB0E70D3EA_zpsz7m0cuze.png

He's right.

He's right.

You've proven how clueless you are lately so im not surprised you are on his level.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    You've proven how clueless you are lately so im not surprised you are on his level.

Go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Jesus that is one steaming turd of an article. All for the ratings, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Roy Curtis is a **** and a troll. A hack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Must be one of the most ill informed, ignorant excuses of an article ever written.

What paper was this in??

The font and unbordered image amongst the text would indicate a tabloid to me.

There is also a big red 'YES' at the top of the piece. Am I correct in assuming that there is also a 'NO' argument, perhaps on the facing page??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Man talks ignorant ****e to try to sell something, where have we heard that before recently?

It's trash but I did get a laugh out of the Louie Walsh comparison

Man talks ignorant ****e to try to sell something, where have we heard that before recently?

It's trash but I did get a laugh out of the Louie Walsh comparison

Sounds like McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Anyone taken the plunge to book flights yet? Thinking of booking tonight.

John_D80 wrote: »
    What paper was this in??

The font and unbordered image amongst the text would indicate a tabloid to me.

There is also a big red 'YES' at the top of the piece. Am I correct in assuming that there is also a 'NO' argument, perhaps on the facing page??

Don't know, came across it on Facebook myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

it was in the Sunday World

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

:eek:
    TimRiggins wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

TimRiggins wrote: »

Sunday world should stick to the Gangland stuff. It's about all that rag is good for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Some stoner posted on here that weed cures cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Saipanne wrote: »
    Some stoner posted on here that weed cures cancer.

Joe Rogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He's right.

Please explain why you think that MMA is just an impersonation of a real sport and, by extension, not a real sport?

"Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Lukker- wrote: »
    Joe Rogan?

¿

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Please explain why you think that MMA is just an impersonation of a real sport and, by extension, not a real sport?

"Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Yes because that's the point of the whole article.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You didn't read my post properly.

Please explain why you think that MMA is just an impersonation of a real sport and, by extension, not a real sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

fairly uneductated to compare a fake show like wwe to a real comat sport

i have heard alot of locals who are new to watching ufc saying the same so its doing the rounds
    typical irish begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Are you really as an MMA fan going to condone what was written? For a man that hates McGregor so much so spend alot of time in a thread about him posting about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

dulux99 wrote: »
    Anyone taken the plunge to book flights yet? Thinking of booking tonight.

Checked flights and hotel the morning after the fight and it was abit cheaper than what UFC 178 cost but I don't want to book it until its announced and I'm sure everything will have jumped up by then...there'll possibly be double the amount heading over this time!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement