Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭therickster

Hi All,

New on here, was just looking for a forum to discuss some interests I have, UFC / MMA being one of them. Of course being big follower of UFC, I'd like to add my two cents worth on Conor McGregor.

Simply put, I find it very hard to like McGregor. I get all the reasons behind his "antics" (jumping the cage and squaring up to Aldo, trash talk etc etc), but you can hype fights and still keep your class intact.

Two of the greatest names in the sport who continually brought PPV buys in, GSP & Anderson Silva but managed to basically not carry on in the manner Conor does. He does try to put himself across as some intelligent, deep and thoughtful martial artist but the reality is he is just coming across as the exact opposite as that. Calling Siver a Nazi? Hardly intelligent or classy. Sticking his finger up at him pre fight. I could go on...

Two of the greatest athletes to ever step foot inside the octagon and the reason they drew such huge PPV buy rates is because they let the action in the cage be the reason to watch them, not mouthing off and acting in a disrespectful, unprofessional and in a manner not befitting martial arts.

MMA is still a sport that has a lot of growing to do and as much publicity as he is bringing to the UFC it can also hurt it with his actions. I'd prefer to see fighters like GSP, Silva, Liddell, Couture, Lesnar ANY day over Conor!

That's just my own opinion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hi All,

New on here, was just looking for a forum to discuss some interests I have, UFC / MMA being one of them. Of course being big follower of UFC, I'd like to add my two cents worth on Conor McGregor.

Simply put, I find it very hard to like McGregor. I get all the reasons behind his "antics" (jumping the cage and squaring up to Aldo, trash talk etc etc), but you can hype fights and still keep your class intact.

Two of the greatest names in the sport who continually brought PPV buys in, GSP & Anderson Silva but managed to basically not carry on in the manner Conor does. He does try to put himself across as some intelligent, deep and thoughtful martial artist but the reality is he is just coming across as the exact opposite as that. Calling Siver a Nazi? Hardly intelligent or classy. Sticking his finger up at him pre fight. I could go on...

Two of the greatest athletes to ever step foot inside the octagon and the reason they drew such huge PPV buy rates is because they let the action in the cage be the reason to watch them, not mouthing off and acting in a disrespectful, unprofessional and in a manner not befitting martial arts.

MMA is still a sport that has a lot of growing to do and as much publicity as he is bringing to the UFC it can also hurt it with his actions. I'd prefer to see fighters like GSP, Silva, Liddell, Couture, Lesnar ANY day over Conor!

Have you seen Anderson Silva vs Damien Maia? Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman?

Have you seen Anderson Silva vs Damien Maia? Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman?

Maia is terrible fighter to watch, I enjoyed the Weidman fight... still it got 1.2m buys in PPV's!

I think I'm being fair with my assessment of Conor. I'm sure away from the spot light and in the gym he is a nice guy. Simple fact is once the camera is there he basically turns into a bit of twat! Just my own opinion... He's not doing himself favors I feel, this has an air of Prince Naseem Hahmed about it, he'll boast til he gets put out cold and then all that will come back to haunt him!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hi All,

i felt Conor was a pain in the hole after the siver fight. The obvious one was where Dana took the mic off him when he was talking through his arse about the media. Didn't think the whiskey ****e talk and slurring his words helped either. I'm sure the moments after a fight isn't ideal for press, but Siver for example was a gent!

Hi All,

i felt Conor was a pain in the hole after the siver fight. The obvious one was where Dana took the mic off him when he was talking through his arse about the media. Didn't think the whiskey ****e talk and slurring his words helped either. I'm sure the moments after a fight isn't ideal for press, but Siver for example was a gent!
    Paddy Holohan seems to have conquered the press over there, they were hanging on his every word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hi All,

It took Anderson Silva a long time to get the recognition and PPV buys. For a long time he was probably the best in the world and not attracting the figures Conor is now.

The fact he was soft spoken and didn't speak English held him back to no end. It was only in the last few years when he moved to the USA learned and learned English that he started getting attention from the masses.

As far as I remember it was similar for GSP. Although he had a whole country and the province of Quebec behind him. But again this attention only came after he was a dominant champion.

Attention wise Conor has gained far more in a short period of time than either Silva or GSP. He is probably making far more money than they did at this stage in their UFC careers and he has not even won a belt yet.

I love both GSP and Silva, but it took them a long time to make the money and fame that Conor has already.

Completely agree, tbh I couldn't actually listen to the guy for more than 5 mins... I heard Arial Helwani ask him a question and he waffled on about it being hard damn work being asked the same questions a million times and then then realized who he was talking to again and tried saying your good bloke or something to that effect...

I'd love to like the guy more, simply can't bring myself to root for him all that much.

For anyone that disputes my sentiments, here's a list of PPV buys from start to finish pretty much in UFC. Look at the guys who pull in or around 1m buy rates each time. None of them carried on the way Conor does...

The roots of MMA is steeped in respecting yourself & your opponent. Conor does neither!

Completely agree, tbh I couldn't actually listen to the guy for more than 5 mins... I heard Arial Helwani ask him a question and he waffled on about it being hard damn work being asked the same questions a million times and then then realized who he was talking to again and tried saying your good bloke or something to that effect...

I'd love to like the guy more, simply can't bring myself to root for him all that much.

Look at the guys who pull in or around 1m buy rates each time. None of them carried on the way Conor does...

The roots of MMA is steeped in respecting yourself & your opponent. Conor does neither!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I thought the jumping over the cage after the Siver fight was a bit much but overall I like Conor. Sure he's cocky, but a lot of great fighters are. He seems like a decent bloke behind all the bravado. He has the charisma and he makes the sport a bit more interesting IMO.

Look at the guys who pull in or around 1m buy rates each time. None of them carried on the way Conor does...

I thought after boston he's setting himself up to be the one people WANT to see lose.

• Advertisement

It took Anderson Silva a long time to get the recognition and PPV buys. For a long time he was probably the best in the world and not attracting the figures Conor is now.

The fact he was soft spoken and didn't speak English held him back to no end. It was only in the last few years when he moved to the USA learned and learned English that he started getting attention from the masses.

As far as I remember it was similar for GSP. Although he had a whole country and the province of Quebec behind him. But again this attention only came after he was a dominant champion.

Attention wise Conor has gained far more in a short period of time than either Silva or GSP. He is probably making far more money than they did at this stage in their UFC careers and he has not even won a belt yet.

I love both GSP and Silva, but it took them a long time to make the money and fame that Conor has already.

Well bit like GSP, Conor has Ireland behind him! ;)

I know he is making progress quicker than either of them did alright, no doubt. I just meant in the manner he is doing it in, I don't agree with it. GSP never stuck his fingers up at opponents, never really name called (not that I recall).

I thought after boston he's setting himself up to be the one people WANT to see lose.

Yep, it'll be interesting to see how he copes with his first UFC loss. Will he be humble and gracious in defeat?
    I thought the jumping over the cage after the Siver fight was a bit much but overall I like Conor. Sure he's cocky, but a lot of great fighters are. He seems like a decent bloke behind all the bravado. He has the charisma and he makes the sport a bit more interesting IMO.

Certainly is a great fighter, that I won't call into question... the cage jumping thing was stupid because it'll probably just make Aldo want to smash his legs up even more now with leg kicks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Maia is terrible fighter to watch, I enjoyed the Weidman fight... still it got 1.2m buys in PPV's!

I think I'm being fair with my assessment of Conor. I'm sure away from the spot light and in the gym he is a nice guy. Simple fact is once the camera is there he basically turns into a bit of twat! Just my own opinion... He's not doing himself favors I feel, this has an air of Prince Naseem Hahmed about it, he'll boast til he gets put out cold and then all that will come back to haunt him!

I guess what I was getting at was Silva showed no respect to either of those guys during those particular fights. The clowning around he did could be considered disrespect, or mind games or whatever. Much like Conor I think they understand the mental side of the game. Although Conor does take it to the extreme sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Is the Conor documentary that's starting on RTE2 tonight already on DVD? I saw it [or atleast a Conor documentary] in Dunnes yesterday.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Is the Conor documentary that's starting on RTE2 tonight already on DVD? I saw it [or atleast a Conor documentary] in Dunnes yesterday.
    no

I reckon Chael Sonnen is the one who made Anderson Silva popular. Before that people respected him, but he often got booed because of some of his antics. DW hammered him in the media sometimes. After beating Chael he had a new respect. Chael who came out of nowhere and made a **** load of money because of all his talk, Conor simply took over the mantle, and was smart enough to see in a short period of time he can make a lot of money, which he is doing. Many other fighters are trying to do it, but they just dont have the personality to pull it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Yep, I won a copy on a Tower Records twitter competition last week, have it since Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Havent seen the one in dunnes but i'm assuming since his new one is starting tonight its the one on the lead up to his first fight in boston against hollaway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think tonights episode is one of six, so not the old boston one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Duff wrote: »
    Yep, I won a copy on a Tower Records twitter competition last week, have it since Friday.

Is it not the documentary from last year?

• Advertisement

Have a feeling he's gonna come off differently than what people think, in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,530 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Surprised TV3/3e are not showing his docu series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Similar to the first documentary so far. Nice how they're introducing the other fighters on his team like Holohan and Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭brevity

Coming across very well IMO. Nice piece about him wanting to do well for his family, can't really hate on a guy for that.

That competition is mine by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

brevity wrote: »
    Coming across very well IMO. Nice piece about him wanting to do well for his family, can't really hate on a guy for that.

That competition is mine by the way.

Nope. Mine.

Thought it was an hour long:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Anyone have a link to his interview with Ariel Helwani around the time of the dublin fight, i think it was around an hour long.I think it was in the O2 arena,a day before the fight.Cant for the life of me find it on youtube.He comes across great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Anyone have a link to his interview with Ariel Helwani around the time of the dublin fight, i think it was around an hour long.I think it was in the O2 arena,a day before the fight.Cant for the life of me find it on youtube.He comes across great in it.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/17/5912043/a-day-in-dublin-with-conor-mcgregor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Surprised TV3/3e are not showing his docu series

.......... but it's on RTE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Legend,

People who have only seen the Press Conference side of McGregor should watch it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement