Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

How difficult would it be to get tickets for the Vegas event? Would it be possible to get them via ticketmaster when they go on sale or is that a no hoper?
    Would you have to join fight club to get pre sale access for a ticket? 75 bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10368853/

Part 1 of the 6 part doc on the RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

SeanFrank wrote: »

Just after watching it. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

SeanFrank wrote: »

Jaysus, 6 parts. That seems fairly excessive. Has there ever been the likes of that for a sporting legend in Ireland?

I like McGregor, I hope he beats Aldo, but I'm just not sure I could watch him playing up to the camera for over 3 hours.

Kop On wrote: »
    Jaysus, 6 parts. That seems fairly excessive. Has there ever been the likes of that for a sporting legend in Ireland?

I like McGregor, I hope he beats Aldo, but I'm just not sure I could watch him playing up to the camera for over 3 hours.

Embrace it. It's not often us Irish have a true global super star to call our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

His sister has some guns on her on that show, watch out Ronda Rousey I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Embrace it. It's not often us Irish have a true global super star to call our own.

Listen, as I said, I'm all for him winning a title and have been up till all hours watching his fights. I just think a 6 part documentary seems a bit excessive. I recorded the first one tonight so will have a look at it later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Listen, as I said, I'm all for him winning a title and have been up till all hours watching his fights. I just think a 6 part documentary seems a bit excessive. I recorded the first one tonight so will have a look at it later this week.

They only go on for 30 mins each FFS! Put the whole lot on series link, watch two at a time and then you have a 3 part documentary.

And as I said, embrace it. It's not often we get it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Two of the greatest names in the sport who continually brought PPV buys in, GSP & Anderson Silva but managed to basically not carry on in the manner Conor does. He does try to put himself across as some intelligent, deep and thoughtful martial artist but the reality is he is just coming across as the exact opposite as that. Calling Siver a Nazi? Hardly intelligent or classy. Sticking his finger up at him pre fight. I could go on...

Two of the greatest athletes to ever step foot inside the octagon and the reason they drew such huge PPV buy rates is because they let the action in the cage be the reason to watch them, not mouthing off and acting in a disrespectful, unprofessional and in a manner not befitting martial arts.
    First of all welcome to the forum :)
    Obviously you are entitled to your opinion on McGregor as much as the next person, but if you are serious, you should probably try to keep it balanced. or else people will think are on a wind up.

For Conor stuck up his finger at Siver, but only when Siver refused to touch gloves. Key detail you are leaving out.

As for best selling fighters being respectiveful. I'd have to disagree, in part anyway.

GSP, absolutely. A paragon of respect. Can barely manage to string a bad word together when he tries.

Silva on the other hand. Not so much. He's been pretty disrespectful to opponents in the past. Both in and out if the ring. Vitor and Maia for example. Or Weidman, who came out and said as much.

As for PPV records, the best selling fighter in the UFC was Lesnar, nobody came close. And nothing about Lesnar was professional, respectiveful or befitting a martial artists (a concept that's largely made up imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Also Anderson threw a nice shoulder into Sonnen's jaw at the weigh ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mellor wrote: »

For Conor stuck up his finger at Siver, but only when Siver refused to touch gloves. Key detail you are leaving out.

In fairness Conor did call him a Nazi

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Oh ffs, here's another idiotic article by a chap that knows so much about the sport he actually thinks the sport is called UFC. http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/comment-the-notorious-asked-us-to-admire-conor-mcgregor-while-neglecting-to-explain-why-he-is-worthy-of-hero-worship-30939577.html

JJayoo wrote: »
    In fairness Conor did call him a Nazi

Yeah of course. There was previous comment from both, mostly Connor. I was just pointing out that the previous poster's version of events was leaving out half the details.
    The one sided opinions and stories are getting a bit tiresome, and I mean that in relation to both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Oh ffs, here's another idiotic article by a chap that knows so much about the sport he actually thinks the sport is called UFC. http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/comment-the-notorious-asked-us-to-admire-conor-mcgregor-while-neglecting-to-explain-why-he-is-worthy-of-hero-worship-30939577.html

What a heap of garbage that is :rolleyes: shouldn't be any broadsheet journo's aloud write about UFC in any form

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tobyglen wrote: »
    How difficult would it be to get tickets for the Vegas event? Would it be possible to get them via ticketmaster when they go on sale or is that a no hoper?
    Would you have to join fight club to get pre sale access for a ticket? 75 bucks!

Yeah it's $75 BUT if you're gonna be paying big money for flights/hotel/spends then it's $75 well spent as you're more or less guaranteed a ticket, and it lasts for a year so you'll be grand for 1, maybe 2 of Conor's title defenses ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Imagine if he actually won something.

Documentaries without having won anything is like a documentary on Usain Bolt after 2 races. Small minded mentality in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

He was quite humble in victory after beating brandao, hugged and gave him the Chinese hands together thing in the octagon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Gits_bone wrote: »

Documentaries without having won anything is like a documentary on Usain Bolt after 2 races. Small minded mentality in this country.

Yeah just ignore the phenomenal achievement it is to get as far as he has in such a short space of time :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Yeah just ignore the phenomenal achievement it is to get as far as he has in such a short space of time :rolleyes:

Seamus Coleman went from playing League of Ireland football to becoming one of the top full backs in the Premier League. Don't see any documentaries about him.

Seamus Coleman went from playing League of Ireland football to becoming one of the top full backs in the Premier League. Don't see any documentaries about him.
    He'd need to be one if the best FBs in the world for the comparison to make sense.

Serious question, why does Connor's success bother you so much.
    For somebody who doesn't like McGregor or even MMA, you are spending a lot of time on this thread.
    I can think if a few reasons, none of them positive tbh.

it's **** alright but he refers to it as MMA and explains in his uneducated view as to what that means, but I didn't see him calling the sport UFC, that I read anyway. But you're right he's a tool!

"The Notorious, McGregor is also an emerging star in the fast-rising sport of MMA with a soaring profile and tens of thousands of fans.
    MMA, for the uninitiated, is a cross between boxing, kung-fu and schoolyard brawling."

see? or am I missing something.

He's probably the most talked about professional fighter in the world at present whose fighting for the world title. So ye, it's not often an Irish sports person can get to enjoy this

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Fair play to him.

So what's your point exactly?

getting a chance at the title with aldo is like Ireland getting through the qualifiers in the world cup to face Brazil. so tell me, would your average joe not see that at quite an achievement in itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

I think it's fairly clear that you are missing something here. If it doesn't make sense to you yet, give it time, it will. Watch a few more fights and learn a bit more about the sport.

Cause its either that or you are trolling.

also look at all the hype and attention that Stephanie roche got (and deservedly so), and she was in contention for a prestigious award.

I don't agree with some aspects, in terms of the hangers on (His father etc especially) who are interested in courting celebrity it seems. But the guy himself is very good and god knows RTE etc have mad tons of programs over the years about, mcguigan, Bernard dunne, Stephan roche, roy keane, O driscol etc etc etc, all irish embassadors for their sport, and fair play.

so if MMA is not your particular brand of vodka then turn it off, I hate golf but I don't dislike the idea of a fly on the all about Harrington for instance as he gears up for the masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah it's $75 BUT if you're gonna be paying big money for flights/hotel/spends then it's $75 well spent as you're more or less guaranteed a ticket, and it lasts for a year so you'll be grand for 1, maybe 2 of Conor's title defenses ;)

How many tickets can you buy for an event if you sign up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement