Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Mellor wrote: »
    I was considering positions to be comparable with weight divusions, which is why I said the best full back in the works. He isn't.
    Now you are talking about P4P best, which would equate to best footballer in the world. Which he clearly isn't. It was a silly comparison.

I've no problem with anyone disagreeing with anything, or anyone. Some MMA fans have vocally doubted him all along.
    I just find it strange when you don't follow MMA, but this guy you don't like or support suddenly has you spending a lot of time discussing it.

I assume you're not happy with people who didn't follow MMA before McGregor winning some fights coming in and spending a lot of time discussing it?

I have my views, I back them up but because you don't like them you go around accusing people of being trolls. Or actually, you don't accuse because that would be breaking the charter, you say something like "You must be ill informed or a troll" or something to that effect.

The cockiness knows no bounds. His coach talking about title defences in croke park already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Gits_bone wrote: »
    I assume you're not happy with people who didn't follow MMA before McGregor winning some fights coming in and spending a lot of time discussing it?

I have my views, I back them up but because you don't like them your go around accusing people of being trolls. Or actually, you don't accuse because that would be breaking the charter, you say something like "You must be ill informed or a troll" or something to that effect.

The cockiness knows no bounds. His coach talking about title defences in croke park already.

Jesus your moaning is getting tiresome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You assume wrong tbh.
    Why would I have a problem with new fans? I was a new fan once, everyone was.

Nobody has a problem with new fans, or shouldn't. My point was that you appear to be negative towards MMA in general. If you don't like the sport, then why do you care? For example I don't spend any time on the cricket forum.
    I have my views, I back them up but because you don't like them you go around accusing people of being trolls. Or actually, you don't accuse because that would be breaking the charter, you say something like "You must be ill informed or a troll" or something to that effect.
    Where did I say anything about trolling?
    You know the saying about protesting too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

I reckon Kavanagh has just forgot to book his flights for May and is keeping the flight price down by spreading this vicious rumour!! ;-) At least there will still be a UFC event in Vegas for those already booked in May if the McGregor fight is put back. Could think of worse places to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Hi,
    Another shameless newbie taking an interest now that Conor has been so successful. I've been trying to find something by someone fairly knowledgeable about the sport discussing what McGregor's actual chances against Aldo are. Everything seems to just be hype. For those that know the sport and the relative merits of McGregor and Aldo, who's the likely winner? I know McGregor, as the challenger, will be second favourite officially but what's the word from those in the know as to how this fight is likely to play out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭therickster

Mousewar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Another shameless newbie taking an interest now that Conor has been so successful. I've been trying to find something by someone fairly knowledgeable about the sport discussing what McGregor's actual chances against Aldo are. Everything seems to just be hype. For those that know the sport and the relative merits of McGregor and Aldo, who's the likely winner? I know McGregor, as the challenger, will be second favourite officially but what's the word from those in the know as to how this fight is likely to play out?

Very difficult to say, I've watched MMA for ten years now and whilst I don't compete I think I've a good understanding of MMA, I'll admit I did not see an upstart like TJ Dillashaw destroying Renana Barao last year, not sure many did.

Anyway's, my money is on Aldo retaining against Conor. I think his striking is as good if not better than Conor's, even if he is a little bit more stiff than McGregor. Conor is very fluid and comes at you from very unique angles, probably quicker than Aldo as well.

I think Aldo will destroy McGregor with leg kicks (as he usually does most opponents). It'll take away from McGregor's striking, a lot of power and accuracy are lost when your mobility is taken away. He hacks away at his opponents like a lumberjack til they cave.

I expect either a late TKO for Aldo or win on points.

Just my own thoughts on it, saying that..MMA is highly unpredictable and you just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Mousewar wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been following the sport a good few years now and I think he can win. He has the movement, size and makes angles that he can hurt Aldo and his style is one that will win rounds in a war like it could be. I think he can pick him off using distance if Aldo comes out strong in the first few rounds.

Aldo is a brilliant champion but has deteriorated over the last while, he has finished only 2 out of his 7 title defenses so winning the first round or two will go a long long way to winning it.

Its going to be an epic fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I think Aldo will destroy McGregor with leg kicks (as he usually does most opponents). It'll take away from McGregor's striking, a lot of power and accuracy are lost when your mobility is taken away. He hacks away at his opponents like a lumberjack til they cave.

Its been mentioned before but it keeps coming up so I will mention it again :) . I really don't think Jose will throw many leg kicks against a southpaw.

Last time he did he fractured his foot against the Korean Zombie. Completely changed the tone of the fight. If it remains standing I see hands and jumping knees from the champ. But i think Conor has better hands, more power and will get the better of the striking.

Its been mentioned before but it keeps coming up so I will mention it again :) . I really don't think Jose will throw many leg kicks against a southpaw.

Last time he did he fractured his foot against the Korean Zombie. Completely changed the tone of the fight. If it remains standing I see hands and jumping knees from the champ. But i think Conor has better hands and more power in too and will get the better of the striking.

Even with a fracture he still managed to finish him. I still think he'll go for his best weapon here (leg kicks), think he has to considering McGregors striking ability. If he can take some of his mobility away then it'll aide his title defense greatly. Can't rule out Jose's Kickboxing either, has great Muay Thai striking as well, elbows & knees... Something Conor doesn't seem to use that much or hasn't faced much of.

The fact Siver caught Conor with some great strikes in their fight last week tells me he'll be on the receiving end of some vicious striking from Aldo, Siver to Aldo is a huge step up in competition!

Conditioning will be vital as well, hearing constant reports of Conor surpassing all these health tests, saying his lung capacity is better than that of a premier league footballer, he's only gone the distance (3 rounds) in one of his fights. Can he go 5 rounds? Aldo has gone to a decision 6 times in defending his title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

John Kavanagh just tweeted a picture of the movie poster for Independence day ; hope too many didnt book flights for May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Even with a fracture he still managed to finish him. I still think he'll go for his best weapon here (leg kicks), think he has to considering McGregors striking ability. If he can take some of his mobility away then it'll aide his title defense greatly. Can't rule out Jose's Kickboxing either, has great Muay Thai striking as well, elbows & knees... Something Conor doesn't seem to use that much or hasn't faced much of.

The fact Siver caught Conor with some great strikes in their fight last week tells me he'll be on the receiving end of some vicious striking from Aldo, Siver to Aldo is a huge step up in competition!

Conditioning will be vital as well, hearing constant reports of Conor surpassing all these health tests, saying his lung capacity is better than that of a premier league footballer, he's only gone the distance (3 rounds) in one of his fights. Can he go 5 rounds? Aldo has gone to a decision 6 times in defending his title.

He finished the Zombie after Jung dislocated his shoulder and basically gave up. The fight was looking like going to another decision like most of Aldos UFC fights.

Aldo has gone five rounds often but almost always loses rounds in each fight, particularly later rounds.

Jesus your moaning is getting tiresome at this stage.

How am I moaning? I'm giving my views. :rolleyes:

In response to another poster show me where I am negative towards MMA in general? Or are people going to continue to make things up?

Time will tell. :)

Ush1 wrote: »
    He finished the Zombie after Jung dislocated his shoulder and basically gave up. The fight was looking like going to another decision like most of Aldos UFC fights.

Aldo has gone five rounds often but almost always loses rounds in each fight, particularly later rounds.

True, forgot the shoulder injury.

He seems like he needs a challenger in the mold of McGregor, it'll light a fire under him. He's dominated the division with relative ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Your views are packed full of confirmation bias. It doesn't matter what you are told or read, you always end up putting a negative spin on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

John Kavanagh just tweeted a picture of the movie poster for Independence day ; hope too many didnt book flights for May

Bit strange for Kavanagh to post that as the UFC date already fixed for Vegas is a week later on July 11th as part of the International Fight Week?

Your views are packed full of confirmation bias. It doesn't matter what you are told or read, you always end up putting a negative spin on everything.

That is a lie.

If people were talking about aldo I'd have lots of positive things to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

True, forgot the shoulder injury.

He seems like he needs a challenger in the mold of McGregor, it'll light a fire under him. He's dominated the division with relative ease.

I agree. I'm trying to think of things in Conors favour as I want him to win but my head still says Aldo will have the edge.

Hope I am wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

That is a lie.

If people were talking about aldo I'd have lots of positive things to say.

guess why we arent talking about aldo as much? clue is in the thread title. you are free to set up a thread on aldo if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Can people not just put the trolls on the ignore list? It takes two seconds, I did it a week ago and this thread is being completely ruined by people engaging in his nonsense and quoting him. People like that are entitled to post their opinions but educated posters are also entitled to completely blank and ignore those uninformed opinions, which is the only way to get the trolls to lose interest and go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Rarely see him not act one though! He's probably fine away from the camera I'm sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

moneyman wrote: »
    Can people not just put the trolls on the ignore list? It takes two seconds, I did it a week ago and this thread is being completely ruined by people engaging in his nonsense and quoting him. People like that are entitled to post their opinions but educated posters are also entitled to completely blank and ignore those uninformed opinions, which is the only way to get the trolls to lose interest and go away.

Been the same in here for the past 2yrs or so, 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after a Conor fight is just nuts, it'll die down towards the start of next week, then kick off at end of May

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

scudzilla wrote: »
    Been the same in here for the past 2yrs or so, 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after a Conor fight is just nuts, it'll die down towards the start of next week, then kick off at end of May

Or start of July it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'd be pretty certain that it will either be memorial day weekend (23rd May) or Independence day weekend (July 11th).

How is it that weekend I thought it was the fourth?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 wardiaz

The haters have ran out of stuff to say about Conor now his father is the target of abuse makes me sick,if you dont like him dont watch simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

wardiaz wrote: »
    The haters have ran out of stuff to say about Conor now his father is the target of abuse makes me sick,if you dont like him dont watch simple as that.

Welcome to the forum

If you have anything to say it does help if you're able to back it up, i've seen no abuse leveled at Conor's dad in here so please don't tar us with that brush

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 wardiaz

scudzilla wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum

If you have anything to say it does help if you're able to back it up, i've seen no abuse leveled at Conor's dad in here so please don't tar us with that brush

Where did I mention I seen it on here?

I seen it by a few people on Fb and another forum,running out of ammo to throw at Conor sad sad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

First of all don't get me wrong I'm a big McGregor fan -

I watched the documentary and I was always of the opinion from media coverage McGregor was an inner city lad brought up in the rough and tumble.... but as Dublin goes their home place is a mansion and his father is a soldier.

I was picturing parents on the dole grew up in Sheriff St.. So the moral of the story is don't believe everything in the media I guess??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Saipanne wrote: »
    How is it that weekend I thought it was the fourth?

Not sure why, but it's often the week after.

UFC 100 was the 11th I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement