Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not sure why, but it's often the week after.

UFC 100 was the 11th I think.

It’s simple, 4th of July falls on a Saturday this year and the UFC aren’t going to have an event on that date as it would kill PPV buys. Pretty much everyone in America has plans that evening/weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

keano25 wrote: »
    First of all don't get me wrong I'm a big McGregor fan -

I watched the documentary and I was always of the opinion from media coverage McGregor was an intercity lad brought up in the rough and tumble.... but as Dublin goes their home place is a mansion and his father is a soldier.

I was picturing parents on the dole grew up in Sheriff St.. So the moral of the story is don't believe everything in the media I guess??

He was brought up in Crumlin then they moved to Lucan.

Moral of the story, you got it wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I watched the documentary and I was always of the opinion from media coverage McGregor was an intercity lad brought up in the rough and tumble....

You thought he was brought up on a train?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭threeball

Axwell wrote: »

Ya a hype train

threeball wrote: »
    Ya a hype train

ALL ABOARD!!! Choo choo

WLw7nsK.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

ALL ABOARD!!! Choo choo

WLw7nsK.jpg

gwi7e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Gits_bone wrote: »
    That is a lie.

If people were talking about aldo I'd have lots of positive things to say.

Then go start a Jose Aldo thread and we will follow you over and discuss him there.

You are like an away fan sitting in the home stand at a football stadium, I don't know if you were there or not but I doubt you were giving your views on Conor, UFC Dublin was probably one of the best days of my life for a number of reasons, the atmosphere the whole week, the fights, everything, and we owe that mainly to McGregor hyping the media and the UFC up to come here, yeah he is brash and yes I do agree with you that some things he says are a little OTT like calling Siver a Nazi etc but so what? I follow him for his talent as a mixed martial artist. Its prize fighting, he has a bigger payday if he builds his fights up. You seem to brush off the things that he has achieved, two weight champ in Cage Warriors, 5 wins in the UFC with 4 TKO'S, okay he hasn't won the UFC belt yet but so what.. I am enjoying his journey like 99.9% of everyone else on this thread..

The downside of his journey is people like you, the critics, the people who have never watched a fight yet know Conor hasn't a hope against Aldo etc. There was a place we fans could go, this thread, it was a nice place for like minded people to come and discuss him but no, you just have to come here and annoy everyone just cause you don't like him, so from a fan. please please please go away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 wardiaz

A lot of people discrediting his cage warriors titles,if you think its not a legit acomplisment then go off on your bike start training and come back when you win 2 titles at different weight and your arguement will be entertained

The amazing thing about his record is the fact the judges have been needed once in his whole career (through the injury)

Any views on what was his best performance was iyo? I know siver was a complete trashing but personally I thought the Holloway fight was the most impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

yipeeeee wrote: »
    He was brought up in Crumlin then they moved to Lucan.

Moral of the story, you got it wrong.

What age did he move to Lucan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Lol, iphone.

• Advertisement

When he was in secondary school. Himself and Tom Egan were in the same school and had an interest in boxing and martial arts and used to hang out together showing each other moves and stuff they had learned. Then they both joined SBG and began training in MMA. He talks about it in the build up videos for the Boston fight with Siver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

17 I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

ACANDROID wrote: »
    Then go start a Jose Aldo thread and we will follow you over and discuss him there.

You are like an away fan sitting in the home stand at a football stadium, I don't know if you were there or not but I doubt you were giving your views on Conor, UFC Dublin was probably one of the best days of my life for a number of reasons, the atmosphere the whole week, the fights, everything, and we owe that mainly to McGregor hyping the media and the UFC up to come here, yeah he is brash and yes I do agree with you that some things he says are a little OTT like calling Siver a Nazi etc but so what? I follow him for his talent as a mixed martial artist. Its prize fighting, he has a bigger payday if he builds his fights up. You seem to brush off the things that he has achieved, two weight champ in Cage Warriors, 5 wins in the UFC with 4 TKO'S, okay he hasn't won the UFC belt yet but so what.. I am enjoying his journey like 99.9% of everyone else on this thread..

The downside of his journey is people like you, the critics, the people who have never watched a fight yet know Conor hasn't a hope against Aldo etc. There was a place we fans could go, this thread, it was a nice place for like minded people to come and discuss him but no, you just have to come here and annoy everyone just cause you don't like him, so from a fan. please please please go away.

Christ. I don't see this named the "I love conor mcgregor thread". When did you become a mod to tell me to go away?

I'll give my views on mcgregor if I want to, I'm entitled to. Circlejerks are sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

darced wrote: »
    It's not a legit title as in it is not a world title more of a British level title pretending to be a world title.
    No one thinks the cage warriors champion is a proper champion anyway.

Still a great acheievment and not many will ever hold the two belts.

Siver is my favourite fight but he seems to get better everytime which makes his latest fight the best usually.

Interesting now you say that actually.

He did say he was only operating at 30-40% in the siver fight.

As he is constantly learning and getting better would it have been better to get a few more fights under his belt before Aldo.

He feels ready though and you don't pass opportunities like a title shot.

For anyone who's outside ireland and didn't see the doc, here the trick

Step 1 - go to hola.org IN CHROME BROWSER
    Step 2 - Select Ireland from the drop down box
    Step 3- enter this link in the url box beside where you have just chosed Ireland http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10368853/
    Step 4 - It will prompt you to install hola add on for Chrome, do this
    Step 5 - Watch video and enjoy!

Just in your chrome settings uncheck phishing and malware protection and it will start working.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Christ. I don't see this named the "I love conor mcgregor thread". When did you become a mod to tell me to go away?

I'll give my views on mcgregor if I want to, I'm entitled to. Circlejerks are sad.

Give your views, obviously I can't stop you, but honestly nobody cares, you add nothing to the forum, the rest of us come here to discuss him and maybe learn something. You are just here to piss people off. And yes this isn't the I love Conor McGregor thread, but what else do you expect. 2,000 people went to his fight in Vegas and 2500 went to Boston from Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

ACANDROID wrote: »
    Give your views, obviously I can't stop you, but honestly nobody cares, you add nothing to the forum, the rest of us come here to discuss him and maybe learn something. You are just here to piss people off. And yes this isn't the I love Conor McGregor thread, but what else do you expect. 2,000 people went to his fight in Vegas and 2500 went to Boston from Ireland.

Well don't reply to my posts then. No, instead you just reply with shíte about no one cares what you think etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Lads, the ignore button is always available.

Well don't reply to my posts then. No, instead you just reply with shíte about no one cares what you think etc.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in general people dont want to listen to negativity all the time. Ive waited 15 years+ to see an Irishman in the UFC who can compete at the top level in one of my favourite pastimes. I get a lot of enjoyment out of that, its exciting and entertaining. So when ultra negative people like yourself start talking with your miserable and depressing opinions it can be annoying and frustrating if I was to let it get to me. The reason is its a largely ignorant opinion you have, not quite as ignorant as Roy Curtis but ignorant all the same.
    His skills are plain to see, and his talk is so he can promote himself and make money in a sport where you career could be over in a split second. Its not rocket science, he's making the right moves. Your entitled to your opinion, but like I said its one of high ignorance and shows lack of understanding of the sport and career thats in it.
    Why you would choose to adopt such negativity could be down to lots of things, none of which I'll speculate on, but would advise finding more positive things to talk about that make you happy. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in general people dont want to listen to negativity all the time. Ive waited 15 years+ to see an Irishman in the UFC who can compete at the top level in one of my favourite pastimes. I get a lot of enjoyment out of that, its exciting and entertaining. So when ultra negative people like yourself start talking with your miserable and depressing opinions it can be annoying and frustrating if I was to let it get to me. The reason is its a largely ignorant opinion you have, not quite as ignorant as Roy Curtis but ignorant all the same.
    His skills are plain to see, and his talk is so he can promote himself and make money in a sport where you career could be over in a split second. Its not rocket science, he's making the right moves. Your entitled to your opinion, but like I said its one of high ignorance and shows lack of understanding of the sport and career thats in it.
    Why you would choose to adopt such negativity could be down to lots of things, none of which I'll speculate on, but would advise finding more positive things to talk about that make you happy. :cool:

But he hasn't won the belt :rolleyes: so your opinion is wrong. He also has fought top level fighters :rolleyes:

/sarcasm trolling hot off

All joking aside, I agree with the above. It's the constant barrage of negativity that no one cares about. Add something to the conversation - be it in the form of constructive criticism or whatever but no point just saying you don't like him because he's mouthy. Yeah, everyone knows that. Get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I have the programme at home from Cage Contender 8. I would love to have it signed by McGregor, Holohan and Pendred. Might be worth a few quid in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

McGregor doesn’t so much have spin doctors as consultant surgeons in propaganda who, judging by the three-million plus US viewers who tuned into his latest cockfight, have successfully operated on the grey matter of trailer-trash America.

Yes because all MMA fans are "trailer-trash" -right Roy Curtis?
    What a jerk. And the rest of what he wrote here sucks as well:
    http://www.sundayworld.com/sport/is-conor-mcgregor-a-con-job

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

I'm sure the July date with the added bonus of International Fight Week will be excellent to travel over for but I'm sure the extra €300-400 for flights compared to the rumoured May date will put a lot of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

wardiaz wrote: »
    A lot of people discrediting his cage warriors titles,if you think its not a legit acomplisment then go off on your bike start training and come back when you win 2 titles at different weight and your arguement will be entertained

The amazing thing about his record is the fact the judges have been needed once in his whole career (through the injury)

Any views on what was his best performance was iyo? I know siver was a complete trashing but personally I thought the Holloway fight was the most impressive.

Porier Fight for me. He was the best guy he faced, and he demolished him in 90 seconds with such ease it made me wonder will we ever get to the bottom of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Not sure how fair a comment this is as my experience of UFC is limited but...
    One thing I've noticed in the few fights I've watched is that McGregor never goes over the top striking his opponent when they go down in what is clearly going to be a TKO. He throws a derisory punch or two for appearances but he knows it's over and doesn't seem to want to hurt his opponent too much. Aldo, on the other hand, is like a madman punching a largely defenceless opponent until the referee intervenes.
    Now, it's the ref's job to keep the fighters safe, not Aldo's, but still I prefer Conor's approach even if it might be considered a weakness by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Saipanne wrote: »
    Lads, the ignore button is always available.

But it's fairly useless when everyone else keeps quoting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Not sure how fair a comment this is as my experience of UFC is limited but...
    One thing I've noticed in the few fights I've watched is that McGregor never goes over the top striking his opponent when they go down in what is clearly going to be a TKO. He throws a derisory punch or two for appearances but he knows it's over and doesn't seem to want to hurt his opponent too much. Aldo, on the other hand, is like a madman punching a largely defenceless opponent until the referee intervenes.
    Now, it's the ref's job to keep the fighters safe, not Aldo's, but still I prefer Conor's approach even if it might be considered a weakness by some

Conor simply picks his shots a little bit more, but he would swarm if he needed to. It has nothing to do with him being nicer, believe me he is trying his hardest to put a hurting on his opponents to get the fight stopped as quickly as possible.

Fights are only stopped when the ref see's that a fighter is no longer intelligently defending himself or is not trying to improve his position.

I think you are probably still uncomfortable with strikes on the ground. This is what many people find unpleasant as it looks too "real".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

I see he's now up to third spot ahead of Lamas in the rankings.

• Advertisement

http://podcastone.com/chaelsonnen

Eddie bravo gives his take on Conor after about ten mins of Chael promo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement