Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Duff wrote: »
    I see he's now up to third spot ahead of Lamas in the rankings.

I don't see the logic behind that, then again the rankings mean feck all so who cares.

McG's best win is Holloway imo, he'll be a contender sooner rather than later. He beat Bermudez imo, was beating Poirier in the standup and has been steamrolling guys lately. Pity they were both injured in that fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 wardiaz

After watching the doc and the bits of the Brandao fight (i know a fights a fight your going to get hit) did anybody think it was very sloppy much scrappier than I remembered live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

wardiaz wrote: »
    After watching the doc and the bits of the Brandao fight (i know a fights a fight your going to get hit) did anybody think it was very sloppy much scrappier than I remembered live.
    I thought exactly the same.

I thought he dominated but seen it again it wasn't what I thought.

Brandao landed a few kicks and punches.

His next two fights were more disciplined I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

wardiaz wrote: »

All of Brandao's fights are like that.. hes very aggressive and always looks to push forward especially in the first round..was pretty scrappy once it got close but once Conor got him at rage it was alot cleaner. Also it was is first fight in almost a year after coming back from the ACL injury

All of Brandao's fights are like that.. hes very aggressive and always looks to push forward especially in the first round..was pretty scrappy once it got close but once Conor got him at rage it was alot cleaner. Also it was is first fight in almost a year after coming back from the ACL injury

Yeah think ive read Conor saying he rushed that fight was probably rusty too its a credit to him that he managed to not get into a war with Brandao stupidly,diego actually fights this weekend I expect him to win easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

http://podcastone.com/chaelsonnen

Eddie bravo gives his take on Conor after about ten mins of Chael promo

He has high praise for McG.

Such a weird character though, and much as the Jon Jones/cocaine thing didn't really bother me Bravo's rant about it was very weird. Also - "McGregor is so strong he must be 1/4 black" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Watching a bit of ep 1 of Notorious. In MMA sparring is it stepped down a fair bit? I would imagine so, as it's so brutal and intense. In boxing with headgears they can go fairly heavy, not necessarily full on, but heavy enough. Do MMA spars ever go this way by intention?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Such a weird character though, and much as the Jon Jones/cocaine thing didn't really bother me Bravo's rant about it was very weird. Also - "McGregor is so strong he must be 1/4 black" :confused:

:D:D

I think he was talking about black belt. And by strong, he meant Conor's ground game was/is that strong that he reckons he is 1/4 of the way to a black belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Watching a bit of ep 1 of Notorious. In MMA sparring is it stepped down a fair bit? I would imagine so, as it's so brutal and intense. In boxing with headgears they can go fairly heavy, not necessarily full on, but heavy enough. Do MMA spars ever go this way by intention?

Sparring should never really be heavy. That's why its called sparring and not fighting :)

You don't get paid to spar so the last thing you want is to get injured or injure a training partner. You look for controlled and accurate training partners who can simulate fight speed and intensity while controlling the strength of blows delivered.

In the gym I train in head gear,shin pads, and larger 6oz MMA sparring gloves are used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

whats the odds on him fighting again before the title fight? if he's good enough to beat Aldo he should have no problem disposing anyone else, I know its still a bit of a risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

whats the odds on him fighting again before the title fight? if he's good enough to beat Aldo he should have no problem disposing anyone else, I know its still a bit of a risk

Won't happen unless Aldo fakes and injury

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He already did that. He fought Dennis Siver.

It'd also put the timetable all over the place. He's have to have a camp, a fight, then another camp, and Aldo wouldn't stay inactive that long just to wait around for him.

Fighting someone else before Aldo would be stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'll fight him. But only if I'm allowed wear this:

plate-armor-plate-mail.jpg

Is he in Vegas training at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Think he is doing promotional and business stuff. He would train whilst there to keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

walshb wrote: »

Some gyms/teams go very heavy in sparring. Chute Boxe (a Brazilian team, now past their peak) were notorious for frequent knockouts during training.

yipeeeee wrote: »

Think i read on here that he's doing the UFC 183 Q&A on Friday before the weigh ins..not 100% sure tho

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Think i read on here that he's doing the UFC 183 Q&A on Friday before the weigh ins..not 100% sure tho

He is indeed.

Fingers crossed he reveals something about the venue of his title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

walshb wrote: »
    Some guys do but its not the ideal in SBG.

I saw John Kavanagh mention recently that have you get rocked while sparring there is 2 ways it can go.

1. You throw harder, try to get him back, session escalates and you both take damage.
    2. You say a bit lighter, you both continue, no one gets hurt and you work on your techniques, timing and improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Sparring should never really be heavy. That's why its called sparring and not fighting :)

You don't get paid to spar so the last thing you want is to get injured or injure a training partner. You look for controlled and accurate training partners who can simulate fight speed and intensity while controlling the strength of blows delivered.

In the gym I train in head gear,shin pads, and larger 6oz MMA sparring gloves are used.

Is it feasible for an unfit, but not overweight 34 year old to get into it. Even if I have no intention of fighting, but sparring sounds good to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Saipanne wrote: »
    Is it feasible for an unfit, but not overweight 34 year old to get into it. Even if I have no intention of fighting, but sparring sounds good to me?

Absolutely. MMA is open to anybody. Find a gym, go and have a chat with the staff and find one that suits you and your timetable.

Although not 100% related, I've been at SBG for about a year now and not once have I been pushed towards competing in BJJ. The option is there if I want to pursue it, but at the same time, you can just go down and train and spar/roll with everyone in the gym and have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I'll fight him. But only if I'm allowed wear this:

plate-armor-plate-mail.jpg

Jujutsu

As said to already man..Just find a gym thats convenient for u to get too..go down..have a chat with the coach's take a look at their time table..I got my Dad to start going down to train and he's 54 so have it man..You wont regret it once u find one that suits you trust me on that

Komoro seems to be my local. I intend to try them out soon.

Komoro seems to be my local. I intend to try them out soon.

good luck you 100% wont regret it but just be prepared to work hard.

Listening to hoolahan here on 2fm, sounds lot like Conor!

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Listening to hoolahan here on 2fm, sounds lot like Conor!

Paddy seems more down to earth, to me. That tea interview is gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Dana said they are looking at jones johnson for may! Wtf, why not make that july 11th after already saying conor aldo for may. Aldo has had the longest break out of the 4 fighters so keep the belts active and have aldo in may jones in july

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I was hoping for Jones vs Johnson as headline and Conor co-main.

I think McGregor in July will be announced shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I was hoping for Jones vs Johnson as headline and Conor co-main.

I think McGregor in July will be announced shortly.

Ah now you know that was never gonna happen. Conor aldo and cerrone nurmagomedov was what i was looking forward to! Id say it will be announced on friday at conors Q&A

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement