Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I was hoping for Jones vs Johnson as headline and Conor co-main.

I think McGregor in July will be announced shortly.

McGregor/Aldo will be a bigger fight than Jones/Johnson so has to be a headliner. It's gonna be July 11th International fight week. There's a Fight Night booked for July 12th and last year they had the TUF Finale on the Sunday of International fight week so McGregor/Aldo July 11th in MGM and Fight Night July 12th in Mandalay Bay is my guess.

Be a great weekend if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

ciano316 wrote: »
    McGregor/Aldo will be a bigger fight than Jones/Johnson so has to be a headliner..

Where are you getting this from? If they are both on the same card, I guarantee you Jones will headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Where are you getting this from? If they are both on the same card, I guarantee you Jones will headline.

Probably true but I think Aldo/Conor might do better PPV numbers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Dana White has already said Jones Rumble is being booked for May, John Kavanagh has said July is a possibility for Aldo McGregor, the 2 fights are pretty much guaranteed not going to be on the same card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

My point is McGregor/Aldo will do better PPV numbers than Rumble/Jones so won't be a co main it will headline a card.

Dana said today he thinks Aldo/McGregor be biggest fight of 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

My point is McGregor/Aldo will do better PPV numbers than Rumble/Jones so won't be a co main it will headline a card.

Dana said today he thinks Aldo/McGregor be biggest fight of 2015.

I think Jones/Rumble will sell more PPV's but we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He has high praise for McG.

Such a weird character though, and much as the Jon Jones/cocaine thing didn't really bother me Bravo's rant about it was very weird. Also - "McGregor is so strong he must be 1/4 black" :confused:
    He was praising his jits after the Holloway fight too.
    walshb wrote: »
    Watching a bit of ep 1 of Notorious. In MMA sparring is it stepped down a fair bit? I would imagine so, as it's so brutal and intense. In boxing with headgears they can go fairly heavy, not necessarily full on, but heavy enough. Do MMA spars ever go this way by intention?
    Not with MMA gloves. MMA sparring gloves are p.
    With headgear and 16's on they might have some heavier sparring sessions. But MMA gloves, even sparring gloves are way too light for that.
    In the gym I train in head gear,shin pads, and larger 6oz MMA sparring gloves are used.
    We do it very similar. I'll use headgear, shin pads, mma glove and very light technical sparring. Or 16s and heavier shin pads and go a bit harder, but still no where near full on.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

SevereMMA wrote: »

Ever thought about starting a podcast??

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭therickster

McGregor/Aldo will be a bigger fight than Jones/Johnson so has to be a headliner. It's gonna be July 11th International fight week. There's a Fight Night booked for July 12th and last year they had the TUF Finale on the Sunday of International fight week so McGregor/Aldo July 11th in MGM and Fight Night July 12th in Mandalay Bay is my guess.

Be a great weekend if so.

Completely agree Stiffler!

Both huge draws but there's no way would Conor main event over Jones! He has too much cross over appeal. Oddly as it sounds, Jones recent cocaine scandal will bring even more viewers to his next fight.

Jones greatest foe is himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

scudzilla wrote: »

Yea, we actually do have one called The MMA Hangout, but it is too infrequent.

We will definitely work on a better and more frequent one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Is it not the documentary from last year?

Nope, It's the RTE one.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

If there are 2 title fights on the same card, the heavier class is the main. Always the way it is.

So the LHW fight would main, nothing to do with popularity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

scudzilla wrote: »

Don't give him ideas that involve me having to do extra work :D

SeanFrank wrote: »
    If there are 2 title fights on the same card, the heavier class is the main. Always the way it is.

So the LHW fight would main, nothing to do with popularity. :)
    Barao v Faber was main event ahead of Aldo v Lamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah there is no rule about heavier weight class gets top billing. It just so happens that more often that the heavier ones are more popular. No way conor and jones being on the same card, well unless maybe they finally got a new york show or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Jones is marketable enough (even without his cocaine 'scandal') that adding Conor to the card wouldn't make sense.

Split the two over two cards and get more PPV buys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Jones is marketable enough (even without his cocaine 'scandal') that adding Conor to the card wouldn't make sense.

Split the two over two cards and get more PPV buys.
    It would be a waste with Jones-Rumble alright since that is one of the few big draws the UFC has at the moment (not that Jones himself is a big draw actually if you look at the numbers).

What would people consider a good buyrate for a McGregor-Aldo headliner? For comparison http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It would be a waste with Jones-Rumble alright since that is one of the few big draws the UFC has at the moment (not that Jones himself is a big draw actually if you look at the numbers).

What would people consider a good buyrate for a McGregor-Aldo headliner? For comparison http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

If they did 400k-500k it would be seen as a massive success and would smash lighter weight records from what I can tell. If it goes bigger then 550k I would be completely shocked and it would confirm McGregor as a draw and could possibly make Aldo (if he wins) a draw in the process, like what Chael did for Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

Mellor wrote: »
    Barao v Faber was main event ahead of Aldo v Lamas.

Learn something new every day!

• Advertisement

SeanFrank wrote: »
    Learn something new every day!
    It's one of the few exceptions tbf. The other is UFC 65 when Hughes and GSP got top billing after the HW belt.
    Jones isn't a big draw? Can't agree with that tbh.
    The Teixeira didn't see sell well as nobody believed in that fight. But he gets decent numbers outside of that. In the last two years he hit 700k and 800k, both in the top 5 PPV buys.
    Silva's biggest numbers came from the rematch with Sonnen and Weidman, which was a huge boost.
    Aldo doesn't sell. 180k vrs Mendes. And 225k average.
    If he topped Aldo v Edgar (330k) it would be fair to call that a good buyrate. Considering Edgar was former 155 champ, many felt he beat Bendo, and has the only person that stood a chance.

I'd say he could do 500k tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭therickster

Watched the first part of Notorious last night and he came across as quite likable, gave good explanation as to why he carries on the way he does. Makes sense, I'd still like to see him tone it down a little.

Good start to the series, look forward to the next episode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

His Q&A in Vegas is live tonight at 10pm GMT. I'm sure the usual MMA sites will have live links.

Edit: Severe will have the link

http://severemma.com/2015/01/video-ufc-183-qa-with-conor-mcgregor/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

had the flights booked and paid for may 23rd, took a chance , thats life
    still a week in vegas so not so bad

looking at flights for the weeknd there now talking about and flights etc are much more expensive which will rule out alot of fans id imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Is now prob the week of my bday and with the kids off school will be easier to get a sitter, i'm optimistic on going now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mellor wrote: »

Jones isn't a big draw? Can't agree with that tbh.
    The Teixeira didn't see sell well as nobody believed in that fight. But he gets decent numbers outside of that. In the last two years he hit 700k and 800k, both in the top 5 PPV buys.
    Silva's biggest numbers came from the rematch with Sonnen and Weidman, which was a huge boost.

It sounds odd but it's actually Jones-Gustaffson that set the record low numbers for a LHW title fight,you have to go back to Jeremey Horn-Liddell in UFC 54 to find something lower. If you average out all Jones' fights you end up around 515,000 which is of course pretty good compared to every other division, but in the history of the LHW championship is just the average

Event buys (k)
    128 --490
    113 --520
    104 --500
    98 -- 635
    92 -- 1,000
    86 -- 540
    75 -- 675
    71 -- ?
    66 --1,050
    62 -- 500
    57 -- 400
    54 -- 150
    52 -- 280

Jones's got some of the highest and some of the lowest, but my theory is that it's the LHW championship that is the draw and you could replace Jones with any other top guy and with the same UFC marketing power behind him you'd get similar average numbers (well maybe not Gus). Not like with GSP or Brock or even Rousey who are true draws. Silva I wouldn't consider a proper draw either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

sc86 wrote: »
    had the flights booked and paid for may 23rd, took a chance , thats life
    still a week in vegas so not so bad

looking at flights for the weeknd there now talking about and flights etc are much more expensive which will rule out alot of fans id imagine?

Looks like you'll have Jones vs Johnson, not half bad.

Hotels were much the same, but flights are a good bit more. I priced may at £470 (sterling) and July is about £640.

2 events that weekend though, I'd imagine they'll chuck a few Irish onto the Sunday night event to capitalise on all the Irish in town.

Pendred, Daly, Holohan, Seery, Parke, maybe Redser if he gets another crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

yes and prob be easier get tickets! still id prefer if it was conor lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Conor's Q & A starting in 9mins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement