Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yipeeeee wrote: »
    what does this mean?
    His striking stats are among the best in the ufc. And despite getting tagged a bit, he still out strikes his opponents.

He wasn't eligible for the leaderboards before 5 fights as it skews it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Unofficial UFC 189 Poster

xufjYtR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Unofficial UFC 189 Poster

xufjYtR.jpg

Thats class!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Aldo to knock mcgregor out halfway through round 2

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

Just happened across this:
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/irishvoice/UFCs-Conor-McGregor-is-not-a-true-sportsman-VIDEOS.html

I think it sums up perfectly the holier-than-thou attitude that a lot of Irish people seem to wallow in.

He tees up the article beautifully by saying "In the few clips that I've seen" and it slides brilliantly from there.

Nice comment under it re Katie Taylor.

• Advertisement

SeanFrank wrote: »
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/irishvoice/UFCs-Conor-McGregor-is-not-a-true-sportsman-VIDEOS.html

I think it sums up perfectly the holier-than-thou attitude that a lot of Irish people seem to wallow in.

He tees up the article beautifully by
    saying "In the few clips that I've seen" and it slides brilliantly from there.

That article is bang on the money

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

leonidas83 wrote: »

That article is a pretty appalling piece of journalism, the standard of which should be kept to blogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

Hi Cormac! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

Katie Taylor is from Bray ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

It's possibly the worst sports article I've ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

It's about as bad as the Pope telling parents they can smack their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Aldo to knock mcgregor out halfway through round 2

Aldo hasn't knocked anyone out since Mendes, 3 years ago. Conor's never been knocked out.
    It's not impossible of course, but more than a few have predicted an unlikely K.O for Aldo. What's Aldo's gameplan for this?

Aldo hasn't knocked anyone out since Mendes, 3 years ago. Conor's never been knocked out.
    It's not impossible of course, but more than a few have predicted an unlikely K.O for Aldo. What's Aldo's gameplan for this?

Go in, throw a couple of those sexy leg kicks, couple of slaps to the face & bobs your uncle. Hype train over

Go in, throw a couple of those sexy leg kicks, couple of slaps to the face & bobs your uncle. Hype train over

Can't argue with that logic (literally). You must do coaching.

My impression of you.

Pre September 27, 2014

"Poirier is world class, McGregor will be found out"

Post September 27, 2014

"Poirier is a bum"

Can't argue with that logic (literally). You must do coaching.

Ya, feel free to pm me if you ever want some coaching like a real man

Saipanne wrote: »
    My impression of you.

Pre September 27, 2014

"Poirier is world class, McGregor will be found out"

Post September 27, 2014

"Poirier is a bum"

My opinion of you

Pre-aldo, mcgregor is world class

Post aldo, I don't know what I'm talking about

My opinion of you

Pre-aldo, mcgregor is world class

Post aldo, I don't know what I'm talking about

One impression is fact. The other is fantasy, at this point in time.

Sucks. To. Be. You.

One impression is fact. The other is fantasy, at this point in time.

Sucks. To. Be. You.

Oh you're hurting my feelings saipanne, stop it

The only Fantasy around here is that mcgregor wont get his knocked off him come July

Oh you're hurting my feelings saipanne, stop it

The only Fantasy around here is that mcgregor wont get his knocked off him come July

His what?

• Advertisement

His what?

His bollox

His bollox

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

He tees up the article beautifully by saying "In the few clips that I've seen" and it slides brilliantly from there.

Christ that is a terribly written piece of ****. Is McGregor the flavour of the month for beta-male hack journalists who are desperate for a pay rise/new job?

I know it's an online piece but surely even online articles are approved by editors before they are released. Whatever happened to good old fashioned research. And I certainly don't subscribe to the notion that journalists have to be impartial, but at least get your facts right ffs.

Whoever wrote that isn't quite on the same level as Ewan McKenna yet, but with a bit of work and a bit of luck, this kid could go all the way to the Sunday World.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lol, sure it is.
    The author's claims to worship Katie Taylor as a hero, yet didn't know where she was from. He was also oblivious to the praise Taylor has given Connor as an athlete and a fighter. And equaly Conor named Taylor as one of Ireland's greatest sportspersons.

Does attempting a wind up give you so much enjoyment to be worth the effort?
    Or are you just that bitter at anybody's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ya, feel free to pm me if you ever want some coaching like a real man

Mod: And you can have a nice permanent ban for making a not-so thinly veiled threat to other members of this forum.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Mod: And you can have a nice permanent ban for making a not-so thinly veiled threat to other members of this forum.

Threat? I thought it was an offer of a date. Valentine's and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McGregor is a high level fighter and in and around the top five, maybe higher, we havn't seen his ceiling yet. That's a fact, you can't dispute this. Anyone who does has an agenda against him simple as.
    He doesn't beat Aldo? So what, he failed to beat the best ever, who's undefeated in ten years! That doesn't turn him into a bum, unworthy of getting the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Fromvert wrote: »
    McGregor is a high level fighter and in and around the top five, maybe higher, we havn't seen his ceiling yet. That's a fact, you can't dispute this. Anyone who does has an agenda against him simple as.
    He doesn't beat Aldo? So what, he failed to beat the best ever, who's undefeated in ten years! That doesn't turn him into a bum, unworthy of getting the shot.

That's exactly right. I dunno how many times ive read "Conor is gonna get his ass kicked and that'll be it, hype train over". Even if he does lose, so what? Does anyone realistically think he's gonna go through his ufc career undefeated? If people like Silva, GSP, Cain etc couldnt do it then it's likely at some stage he will lose. And if the hype train derails, again so what? The rest of us will still be hanging around following the sport and supporting Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Such an air of complete snobbishness to that article, and he's not nearly alone in that way of thinking either! I really think a lot of people are more fans of the culture & image around specific sports and how being a fan makes them look, rather than simply enjoying the actual sports themselves.

This guy can be a fan of boxing (or "pugilism" as he might call it :rolleyes:) because it has an air of respectability - being a "gentlemans sport" - which gives him and people like him permission to enjoy it. They like to pretend boxing is not a very violent sport, because violence is bad and no fine upstanding gentleman could possibly enjoy that!

His attitude to sports is really exposed when he commends Katie Taylor for being a "quietly powerful and ladylike athlete". Apparently, beating the shit out of someones face and body in a boxing ring is perfectly ladylike, but to do it in the UFC would be a "gutter spectacle". A couple of times I've met people with attitudes identical to this and the irony never ceases to amaze me.

Him and people like him don't have to like the trash talking, the marketing, the image or even the fans of MMA, but he should be able to acknowledge the sport, the professionalism & the skill of the fighters. Unfortunately his ego is enforcing his ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I always get a laugh reading this thread, should the renamed the Conor McGregor appreciation thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement