Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

dave1982 wrote: »
    I always get a laugh reading this thread, should the renamed the Conor McGregor appreciation thread

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I always get a laugh reading this thread, should the renamed the Conor McGregor appreciation thread

A thread on an Irish forum regarding the most successful (by far) Irish fighter in world mma, who is currently preparing to fight for a world title...and the posts are largely positive? G'way out that...that's gas craic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

I'm not going to read back over 250 pages but what is it about UFC that makes people argue so much? Love him or hate him, Conor's a unique and talented fighter. Things always get personal when they don't need to, can't some people make a point or prediction without trying to cause a stir?

JDM Jack wrote: »
    I'm not going to read back over 250 pages but what is it about UFC that makes people argue so much? Love him or hate him, Conor's a unique and talented fighter. Things always get personal when they don't need to, can't some people make a point or prediction without trying to cause a stir?

It's the internet. That's the problem right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

It's the internet. That's the problem right there.
    Ah, that explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Easy Rod wrote: »
    A thread on an Irish forum regarding the most successful (by far) Irish fighter in world mma, who is currently preparing to fight for a world title...and the posts are largely positive? G'way out that...that's gas craic altogether.

Point was as it seems to happen time and time again, some one comes in here says Conor will lose get KO'd, posters take it personally turns in page or two of back and forth passive aggressive comments which eventually leads to the poster who said Conor would get KO'd being banned.Read back along it happens.

Its MMA a two man sport people should be allowed come on here give a opinion (right or wrong) with out them being attacked.

If Conor was not Irish people would have different views on him, like Jon Jones someone equally as talented yet Jones don't get as much respect as a person on here.If you're an asshole you're an asshole don't matter what nationality you are. (not fighter bashing) just general statement

"S Rioghal Mo Dhream" the McGregor Motto

• Registered Users Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Coming into conor thread saying he's going to get knocked out is trolling unless you share the insight that helped you make such a prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Point was as it seems to happen time and time again, some one comes in here says Conor will lose get KO'd, posters take it personally turns in page or two of back and forth passive aggressive comments which eventually leads to the poster who said Conor would get KO'd being banned.Read back along it happens.

Its MMA a two man sport people should be allowed come on here give a opinion (right or wrong) with out them being attacked.

If Conor was not Irish people would have different views on him, like Jon Jones someone equally as talented yet Jones don't get as much respect as a person on here.If you're an asshole you're an asshole don't matter what nationality you are. (not fighter bashing) just general statement

Who's an asshole?

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Who's an asshole?

Nice try sir, however I will not be sucked into what I have described in my post , sorry I will pass on your lure into a warning by mentioning a name.It was a very general statement, directed at all walks of life and people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

darced wrote: »

McGregor has never been KO'd, and Aldo hasn't KO'd anyone in years.

So it does require an explanation to be fair.

I have no problem with people not liking McGregor. I'm not too keen on him myself. But he's an Irish sportsman doing wonders for MMA in this country so I'll support him anyway. Much like I'll cheer every goal Wayne Rooney scores for Man United despite him being a horrible little granny shagging git.

IMO people don't get arsey about people disliking McGregor or doubting his ability. They just smell wind up merchants a mile off because they usually don't even try to justify their comments.

I think if you read back you'll see that it's more than people just coming on here saying he'll get ko'd. Anyone thats been banned has been justified imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Coming into conor thread saying he's going to get knocked out is trolling
    No it isn't. People are perfectly free to think that. They don't need to back it up, just as anyone who think he'll win doesn't need to explain why. If they want to back either up, it helps discussion of course.
    He people who've been banners te clearly on a wind up with I knowledge of the sport or interest at all.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    McGregor has never been KO'd, and Aldo hasn't KO'd anyone in years..
    Ah come off it. There's a bit more involved than simply the methods of victory on their records.

And hasn't KO'd anyone in years?
    Aldo has 2 KO wins in the last 3 years (out if 5 fights). It's not an outcome anyone should discount.

Mellor wrote: »
    Ah come off it. There's a bit more involved than simply the methods of victory on their records.

I'm well aware of that.

My point is we're not talking about a KO machine facing someone with a weak chin.

Announcing that McGregor is going to be KO'd is as daft as saying that Aldo is going to be KO'd when there is no basis given for the opinion, (IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

And hasn't KO'd anyone in years?
    Aldo has 2 KO wins in the last 3 years (out if 5 fights). It's not an outcome anyone should discount.

Mendes 3 years ago was his last knockout. The TKO versus Korean zombie would really be pushing it, his arm was hanging out of place and Aldo jumped on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

I'm well aware of that.

My point is we're not talking about a KO machine facing someone with a weak chin.

Announcing that McGregor is going to be KO'd is as daft as saying that Aldo is going to be KO'd when there is no basis given for the opinion, (IMO).
    Is it not a plausible outcome? Jesus, it's a fight ffs.
    Does someone only get KO'd when there's statistical evidence in their prior record to imply it will happen.
    If there's something worse than stirrers saying they'll be glad when he's beaten it's the nut huggers getting all offended because someone says he'll lose.
    HOW VERY DARE YOU!!.
    Fcuking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

My point is we're not talking about a KO machine facing someone with a weak chin

Announcing that McGregor is going to be KO'd is as daft as saying that Aldo is going to be KO'd when there is no basis given for the opinion, (IMO).[/QUOTE]
    Since when is weak chin vrs KO machine the only grounds for a KO?

The logic and reasoning for the for the opinion is bloody obvious. There's no real need to elaborate on it. If somebody wants to then great, but pretending that its completely outragous is a bit strange when its painfully obvious.

Aggressive Striker vrs Aggressive Striker + both like to keep it standing + both have decent TTD + both willing to forgo defense for the sake of attack = basis for a KO
    Mendes 3 years ago was his last knockout. The TKO versus Korean zombie would really be pushing it, his arm was hanging out of place and Aldo jumped on it.
    Regardless of how it came about, it was still a knockout win.
    It's not like we are talking about submissions. Where his last on only sob win was 2005. (discounting tapping to strikes)

I can see fight going to the distance tbh, it will be interesting to see how he copes with leg kicks as Siver exposed that fault in his game.Aldo kicking his leg will be whole different game.

Conor himself is predicting KO in 4 mins 1st round and already looking to Pettis, Conor V Pettis would be a amazing fight

Can people stop getting caught up in the fact that it's McGregor? It automatically makes people dismiss others as either a nuthugger or a troll.

I'm just saying that if someone predicts the outcome of a fight but doesn't give any supporting information to show why they came to that conclusion, it's a bit of a weak argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm pretty sure no one who has an interest in MMA has Conor as a favourite even though we want to see him win.
    He's an underdog but a very live underdog. He's something Aldo has not faced, he has TKO power, he'll bust you up pretty quick if he can, his kicks are mostly to throw opponent's off and lead them to his left, that's what I think anyway.
    Then it's also Aldo who is a killer, one of the best ever, who has the ability to spark Conor quickly and brutality.
    Aldo is still young (28) but is he maybe fight old? He's had more time in the cage in his last three fights than Conor has in his 19! Obviously Aldo has fought a lot better opponents but that also has taken alot out of him. I think that could be factor.
    It could be TJ/Barao or maybe Shogun/Jones. New school beats the old school. You're young but fight old which I think is a huge factor in every fighter's longevity.

But I'm biased and have been talking myself into a Conor win because if you told 3/5/10 years ago we'd have an Irishman fighting for a UFC title I would of dismissed it and possibly laughed at you but I'll be in Vegas cheering him win or lose anyway.

Fromvert wrote: »
    He's had more time in the cage in his last three fights than Conor has in his 19!
    I know Aldo has had a lot of 25mins fights, and Conor a lot of 1st round wins. But I would have though he's have at least 60-75 mins by now.
    Aldo has a lot of mileage tbf.

I think McGregor is still below 75 minutes, Aldo is fight old and that's definitely a thing.
    Especially his last few, even Hominick was coming on strong in the fifth with the worst hematoma (sp?) I've seen.

When you look at Conor's actually win times it gets ridiculous, a couple of sub two minutes, a few low 1 minutes, then 30 seconds, then 16 seconds and then 4 seconds!

I regret not seeing more of those, saw one of those by dumb luck though.

I think McGregor is still below 75 minutes, Aldo is fight old and that's definitely a thing.
    Especially his last few, even Hominick was coming on strong in the fifth with the worst hematoma (sp?) I've seen.

Aldo's last 3 would be under 75, as he finished KZ in 17 mins :D:pac:D

The judges gave Hominick a 10-8 for that round.

Aldo's last 3 would be under 75, as he finished KZ in 17 mins :D:pac:D

The judges gave Hominick a 10-8 for that round.

Haha you are correct but I'd say Conor is below the 67 minute mark as well. Just barely or really close.

I'm trying to talk myself into Conor winning scenarios here!

Also from what I remember it shouldn't of been 10-8 round but a solid round, out grappled him hut without damage. Pretty sure Hominick has retired now. The FW division is actually really shallow outside of Aldo/Frankie/Mendes.

Frankie/Mendes should of happened instead of Lamas.
    I'd take Frankie by decision or maybe late stoppage but on paper that fight would have me excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I'd say Conor is below the 67 minute mark as well. Just barely or really close.
    I got 63mins from wiki. Doesn't include his first two fights though, no times available. Still 63 mins for 17 fights is quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I can see fight going to the distance tbh, it will be interesting to see how he copes with leg kicks as Siver exposed that fault in his game.

I do agree that Conor had his lead leg out far too much. Though, that's Conor's stance for the majority of his fights. A very wide stance. I'm sure he knows all about Aldo's leg kicks and he may need to opt for a slightly conservative stance from the outset.

Aldo is a vicious fighter but Conor is a very game underdog. It'll be very exciting and I'm glad I'll get to see two great fighters go at in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody hear the rumour that Andersons cut of the PPV, rumoured to be around $6million is being witheld due to failing the piss test.

Wonder what Conor's cut will be, surely he'll get at least 50% of that figure cos it'll be him selling it, nice nights work, plenty of suits for him in that

Whosthis wrote: »
    I got 63mins from wiki. Doesn't include his first two fights though, no times available. Still 63 mins for 17 fights is quite impressive.

Don't give up this close. Find his first two fights!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Conorr confidence must have rubbed off on rte, their description of his programmed is following McGregor behind the scenes as he gets closer to becoming ufc world champion:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement