Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

MacDonald vs. Lawler for the belt added as co main for 189... I will be selling my soul for a ticket now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Conor aldo main event

Co-main is lawler vs Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,525 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My thoughts exactly. He has very good stand up, pretty good ground game, but seems to be lacking in power to knock guys out.
    I don't think that a 145 necessarily needs KO power as much as a MW or LHW would to be a top prospect. Fights at 145 mostly go the distance (about 60% IIRC), TKO/KO finishes only make up about 21% matches.
    Connor is really ahead of the pack on that one. Can't find ranked tables though, strange because the data exists somewhere. The UFC use it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think that a 145 necessarily needs KO power as much as a MW or LHW would to be a top prospect. Fights at 145 mostly go the distance (about 60% IIRC), TKO/KO finishes only make up about 21% matches.
    Connor is really ahead of the pack on that one. Can't find ranked tables though, strange because the data exists somewhere. The UFC use it all the time.

If you find the data, do post it here please, I'd be very interested to see the rankings as well.

If you find the data, do post it here please, I'd be very interested to see the rankings as well.

No luck, which is frustrating as FightMetric obviously compile it for the random facts at walk-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Duff

The bit where he's trying to jump onto the beam made me laugh. Yes, I know it's very difficult to jump in sand nevermind onto a 4 inch wide beam but still.:pac:

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/conor-mcgregor-watch-superb-training-5194323

He's getting an awful slating on Sherdog because of his conditioning in this.:confused: He's 5 months out from the fight and his body fat % is still very low. Guess some people will just pick anything to hate on with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Duff wrote: »
    Sherdog

There's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I'd be worried about anyone that doesn't just go on sherdog to get a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Music Box

Did Poirier deliberately throw the fight with Conor mcgregor. I'm over-hearing discussions where this is said. There was apparently no clear knock out punch. If this is true surely it undermines the whole MMA thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,887 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Discussions by people who don't have a clue about mma I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Music Box wrote: »
    Did Poirier deliberately throw the fight with Conor mcgregor. I'm over-hearing discussions where this is said. There was apparently no clear knock out punch. If this is true surely it undermines the whole MMA thing.

I'm no psychologist...but those discussions your "over-hearing" are most definitely in your head. Either that or you're eavesdropping on mma conversations between publicity starved senators and ray darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yep, its true. Poirier even bounced his own head off the canvas a few times for added effect. Guy deserves an oscar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

These 'discussions' you're hearing are probably coming from our friends across the pond.
    When Conor fought Brimmage they said he'd lose, he ko'd him in 1st, when he fought Holloway they said he'd lose and was all hype, same with Brandao.

Ah here, Your man Conor's gonna get ko'd by a proper challenger in Poirier, we all seen what happened there, and his destruction of Siver.

These Americans (not all of them), are just full of hate and instead of coming to the conclusion that Conor is really the real deal they're just making up these wild accusations

Duff wrote: »
    He's getting an awful slating on Sherdog because of his conditioning in this.:confused:.
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bazza76dub

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Conor aldo main event

Co-main is lawler vs Rory

That's the first time a title fight at a lighter weight has been main event over a heavier weight title fight - for men anyway. Dana White said previously that the heavier weight would always get the nod ahead of the lighter weight to be main event. Look like Conor has just undone that line of thinking.

bazza76dub wrote: »
    That's the first time a title fight at a lighter weight has been main event over a heavier weight title fight - for men anyway. Dana White said previously that the heavier weight would always get the nod ahead of the lighter weight to be main event. Look like Conor has just undone that line of thinking.

Renan Barao against Faber for the Bantamweight Title was main event over Aldo Lamas at UFC 169

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bazza76dub

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Renan Barao against Faber for the Bantamweight Title was main event over Aldo Lamas at UFC 169

I stand corrected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Didn't take long for Conor to overcome that "pathetic" attempt earlier.

There's a reason he's elite. Work ethic.

bazza76dub wrote: »
    I stand corrected!
    Also at UFC 65 - GSP V Hughes was main ahead of the HW title fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

UFC 189 Aldo v McGregor

Fight Club presale Wednesday March 25
    Newsletter presale Thursday March 26
    General sale Friday March 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I was watching that fight with my missus and about 30 seconds before the ko he hit him clean and i turned to my missus and said thats the fight over, the rest was just a formality

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

cowzerp wrote: »
    I was watching that fight with my missus and about 30 seconds before the ko he hit him clean and i turned to my missus and said thats the fight over, the rest was just a formality

I think if you were watching using the Fight Pass/UFC App thing you could listen to the fighter's corners during the fight, and if you were listening to the SBG corner, you could hear one of the lads (I think it was JK) say "That's it" (or something along those lines) when Conor planted Dustin clean before the KO.

I find it really amusing that people keep bringing it up as a "thrown" fight. You try getting battered and then planted above your ear. Bring a pillow though, because you'll hit the ground hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I find it really amusing that people keep bringing it up as a "thrown" fight.

The only people who think it was a thrown fight know next to nothing about MMA and very little about combat sport in general.

LeanWigglyIggypops.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

cowzerp wrote: »
    This.

I was watching that live too, he caught him clean and rocked him and I said the same thing, this fight is over.
    Size isn't everything, technique counts for more imho. I'd rather get hit by a big guy throwing haymakers then clipped by a guy who knows how to throw a straight right cross with his foot to the floor and his hip in the punch :)
    And McGregor has both, he's big for his weight and his boxing technique is near as bedamned flawless. I get the feeling (and it certainly seems like it from the videos) that these guys get hit the first time by him and they think "holy **** what was that?! Don't let that happen again" and they suddenly focus on defense to avoid his power... that's fatal imho, especially with McGregor when he likes to get comfortable and pick defences apart.

Watch any of his last few fights and watch to see what happens to the opponents game plan after the first couple of times they get hit. Brandao mentally checked out. Poirer went down so fast its hard to know. Siver abandoned any plan he had and just didn't want to get hit any more... they all stop with almost all offence and start to try to manage the damage... after that, McGregor can launch without many worries. Fatal.

DeVore wrote: »
    This.

I was watching that live too, he caught him clean and rocked him and I said the same thing, this fight is over.
    Size isn't everything, technique counts for more imho. I'd rather get hit by a big guy throwing haymakers then clipped by a guy who knows how to throw a straight right cross with his foot to the floor and his hip in the punch :)
    And McGregor has both, he's big for his weight and his boxing technique is near as bedamned flawless. I get the feeling (and it certainly seems like it from the videos) that these guys get hit the first time by him and they think "holy **** what was that?! Don't let that happen again" and they suddenly focus on defense to avoid his power... that's fatal imho, especially with McGregor when he likes to get comfortable and pick defences apart.

Watch any of his last few fights and watch to see what happens to the opponents game plan after the first couple of times they get hit. Brandao mentally checked out. Poirer went down so fast its hard to know. Siver abandoned any plan he had and just didn't want to get hit any more... they all stop with almost all offence and start to try to manage the damage... after that, McGregor can launch without many worries. Fatal.

Good post.

Its as clear as day in the Poirer fight. He catches him with a left and you can even see the look on Poirer's face that he wanted no more. He stopped coming forward and started circling away, then Conor knew he was finished and started talking to him.

Siver was one of the most beautiful displays I've seen in the Octagon of crisp striking and movement. He could have finished it alot sooner imo but wanted to put on a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

DeVore wrote: »
    This.

Said this a few times, you can almost see it on their facial expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

You can actually see it in their face when they get hit.

Seriously watch Brandao and Poirer for two of the most obvious examples.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement