Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Anybody know how to get tickets to the London press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Too lazy to check, but the other 2, assume it's randy and BJ, did they hold both belts at the same time?
    Not at the same time. That's never been done, and it's unlikely to ever happen given fighters need to be able to defend. Could possibly hold the LW belt before FW was filled, but they make him vacate after.

McGregor has a serious weight cut to get to 145. All that cutting weight can't be good for you, he's probably only planning on doing it 4/5 times more I'd imagine
    If he moved to 155, is assume he'd put on more mass. So the cut is eventually similar anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mellor wrote: »
    Not at the same time. That's never been done, and it's unlikely to ever happen given fighters need to be able to defend. Could possibly hold the LW belt before FW was filled, but they make him vacate after.

BJ Penn got a shot at GSP while LW Champion, so it's been done before

BJ Penn got a shot at GSP while LW Champion, so it's been done before
    He asked whether any body has held two belts at once. That hasn't been done.

I'm aware BJ got a shot at WW while LW champ. But that was 6 years ago, GSP had cleared out WW and the roster and schedule was smaller.
    These days there's contenders ready to go in each division. They can't afford to to cut numbe if titke fights per year in half.
    Personally, I think if he ever wants ti mice to LW, he'd need to do so permanently and forget about cutting to 145.

• Advertisement

I think Conors talk of moving up to 155 will be put on hold now that RDA is champ, its not the money fight Pettis would have been.

I think Conors talk of moving up to 155 will be put on hold now that RDA is champ, its not the money fight Pettis would have been.

Sure RDA is only holding the belt for Khabib

Sure RDA is only holding the belt for Khabib

True perhaps, but is the Khabib fight is probably not the money fight either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Lads yous are speaking as if Connor has that belt from Jose already, let's not jinx him!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ah balls.

Haven't watched the weekend's fights yet. Thought I'd be safe in the McGregor thread.

I was hoping for Fight announcements.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Ah balls.

Haven't watched the weekend's fights yet. Thought I'd be safe in the McGregor thread.

:P In fairness on Sunday morning I didn't go near facebook or boards mma forum at all until I acquired the event and watched it. You can't really expect to come onto any forum two days later and not get it ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

:P In fairness on Sunday morning I didn't go near facebook or boards mma forum at all until I acquired the event and watched it. You can't really expect to come onto any forum two days later and not get it ruined.

In fairness, read the charter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Lads......be careful with spoilers. It's just common courtesy.

From the charter:
    Stick to the official event thread when talking about an event. If you want to discuss a result in another thread, use spoiler tags. You must continue to use spoiler tags for a period of 1 week after a ppv event/fight night etc.

Failure to follow these guidelines will result in an infraction. Repeat offenders will be banned. Spoilers in thread titles will still be an instant ban.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Ah balls.

Yeah sorry but two days later, hanging around an MMA forum you can't expect not to see a result somewhere!

scudzilla wrote: »
    In fairness, read the charter ;)

Yeah but charter means nothing when one poster can ruin an event for you with a spoiler like what just happened. I would not be on any mma thread on boards or any site before I watched an event, charter or no charter. I stay off everything until i watch any event which I want to watch and cant catch live, same with the f1 the weekend I didn't go near boards or facebook incase of a spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah its fair enough to post spoilers within thread, the worst is when people used to make threads with the title including the spolier. That way you could just be browsing boards while trying to ignore the mma forum and still have it ruined. Thankfully the last year or so has seen the end of this type of thread.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Yeah its fair enough to post spoilers within thread, the worst is when people used to make threads with the title including the spolier. That way you could just be browsing boards while trying to ignore the mma forum and still have it ruined. Thankfully the last year or so has seen the end of this type of thread.

Yeah a few months ago after the Royal Rumble I was browsing the Manchester United thread and someone posted the winner of the royal rumble on a United thread :confused::confused:. So generally I try to avoid most sites until I know the result of something because online things can get spoiled in all different kinds of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Yeah a few months ago after the Royal Rumble I was browsing the Manchester United thread and someone posted the winner of the royal rumble on a United thread :confused::confused:. So generally I try to avoid most sites until I know the result of something because online things can get spoiled in all different kinds of ways.

Just that you brought up WWE, I think Brock would be a fool to come back. How much is he earning? Only has to wrestle 3 times a year, its insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Just that you brought up WWE, I think Brock would be a fool to come back. How much is he earning? Only has to wrestle 3 times a year, its insane!

It's not wrestling, it's acting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's not wrestling, it's acting
    And bad acting at that

• Advertisement

Disappointed with John Kavanaghs tweet after Duffys fight. Fair enough he was pointing out the level of opposition but a simple well done would have been ok.

Disappointed with John Kavanaghs tweet after Duffys fight. Fair enough he was pointing out the level of opposition but a simple well done would have been ok.
    It's no different to comments made by other here before and after the fight.

Duffy established himself as UFC standard, that's clear. But that's about it for now.
    Lindsey might not fight in the octagon again. 0-3, Finished in all 3. Possibly an unlucky draw, I dunno.

It's no different to comments made by other here before and after the fight.

Duffy established himself as UFC standard, that's clear. But that's about it for now.
    Lindsey might not fight in the octagon again. 0-3, Finished in all 3. Possibly an unlucky draw, I dunno.

Yeah but whether JK likes it or not he's seen by many as the head of Irish MMA. Everyone has to start somewhere. Seemed like he was mad to talk down Duffys victory, against weak competition granted, but impressive none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Is McGregor doing some sort of tour at the moment? I saw something on Twitter and I think he's due to be in Dublin in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Yeah but whether JK likes it or not he's seen by many as the head of Irish MMA. Everyone has to start somewhere. Seemed like he was mad to talk down Duffys victory, against weak competition granted, but impressive none the less.
    For a guy who doesn't tolerate 'negativity', himself and his fighters are very quick to put the boot into Duffy. Very odd considering the rhetoric they like to throw around when someone from SBG is fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

Henry9 wrote: »
    For a guy who doesn't tolerate 'negativity', himself and his fighters are very quick to put the boot into Duffy. Very odd considering the rhetoric they like to throw around when someone from SBG is fighting.

they've done it a few times they can dish it out but they get very very sulky when they have to take it

Don't really see anything wrong with the comments, he said it was a great all rounded performance against a mediocre opponent, and looking forward to seen what he can do against better.

People are overreacting in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

It was a very cunty thing to say let's be honest

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    It was a very cunty thing to say let's be honest

Really?

Maybe I'm wrong so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement