Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Don't really see anything wrong with the comments, he said it was a great all rounded performance against a mediocre opponent, and looking forward to seen what he can do against better.

People are overreacting in my opinion.

it depends how you feel it was meant personally i think it was meant as a dismissal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

darced wrote: »
    It was a pretty childish dig at Duffy,maybe they were sore that Lindsey made it out of the first minute unlike McGregor.

Hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

saw this on Fb, made me spill my 'tae :D luz

PMYR0PS.jpg

Credit

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

Yeah John Kavanagh let himself down with comment. Cunty indeed.

He seems pretty sensitive to any kind of conflicting opinion, let alone criticism. It's a shame cos he seems like a nice guy the rest of the time.

There was no need for him to **** on Duffy's performance like that; he was more impressive than every SBG fighter bar Conor IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

He seems pretty sensitive to any kind of conflicting opinion, let alone criticism. It's a shame cos he seems like a nice guy the rest of the time.

There was no need for him to **** on Duffy's performance like that; he was more impressive than every SBG fighter bar Conor IMO.

Agree, he can be very touchy if anyone says anything about his family.

With the exception of McGregor the other SBG fighters are not top 10 class, while Duffy will be. The problem is they all seem to think they are Conor, it's incredible to hear them (even some of their amateur fighters) go on about they are the best this and that, super confident straying into arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Reminds me of the time Kavanagh openly called some random fella out on his FB page for sending his girlfriend messages, was proper cringe stuff.....deal with it yourself in private instead of looking for the backing of a loada random meatheads in Tap Out tshirts & their "hurrr hurrr he doesn't know who he's messing with" comments :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Agree, he can be very touchy if anyone says anything about his family.

With the exception of McGregor the other SBG fighters are not top 10 class, while Duffy will be. The problem is they all seem to think they are Conor, it's incredible to hear them (even some of their amateur fighters) go on about they are the best this and that, super confident straying into arrogance.

Interesting.

Not really something I like to hear. Kind of off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

This is getting blown out of proportion I think
    I thought Duffy looked really good against mediocre 0-2 ufc fighter. Will be interesting to see him tested by decent level guy

How is that possibly considered sh*ting on his performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It was a backhanded compliment but there was certainly an over reaction.

I think people took offence because McGregor himself has fought a lot of average fighters on his way to landing the Aldo fight. Poirier and Holloway are the only ones you wouldn't class as journey men and tbh Poirier will probably to go on to become just that.

Kavanagh should have just congratulated him and left it at that, more Irish fighters can only be a good thing, even if they train in different gyms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not too much wrong with what he said, but I doubt he'd have used the term "mediocre opposition" in praising any of his own fighters' performances publicly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Considering how bad Cathal Pendred has looked against equally mediocre opposition, he should have kept his trap shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not too much wrong with what he said, but I doubt he'd have used the term "mediocre opposition" in praising any of his own fighters' performances publicly

Exhibit A your honour:

cathal-pendred-ufc-fight-night-53.jpg?w=1000

I know there's a bit of buzz about Duffy given his previous bout with McGregor and perhaps it was tongue in cheek comment based on Conor "not having fought UFC calibre in his debut".

I think it is an over-reaction from many though but it teases with the idea of a rematch down the road at the highest level of MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Exactly. Try giving him your opinion next time one of his fighters beats a 'mediocre' opponent and see how long it takes him to spit his dummy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think people took offence because McGregor himself has fought a lot of average fighters on his way to landing the Aldo fight. Poirier and Holloway are the only ones you wouldn't class as journey men and tbh Poirier will probably to go on to become just that.

Kavanagh should have just congratulated him and left it at that, more Irish fighters can only be a good thing, even if they train in different gyms.
    A couple of them were having a moan on twitter about Duffy having it too easy into the UFC, which is hilarious given how McGregor has talked himself to the top of the queue in record time.

Henry9 wrote: »
    A couple of them were having a moan on twitter about Duffy having it too easy into the UFC, which is hilarious given how McGregor has talked himself to the top of the queue in record time.

Brimage, Brandao, Siver. All top drawer fighters.

We all know McGregor hasn't fought anyone near Aldos level. By right, he should have faced someone on Mendes/Edgar level first. The only reason he's getting that shot is because of his charisma. His marketability.

It's a bit rich from Kavanagh to talk about the quality of opposition...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Saipanne wrote: »

We all know McGregor hasn't fought anyone near Aldos level. By right, he should have faced someone on Mendes/Edgar level first. The only reason he's getting that shot is because of his charisma. His marketability.

On that note what the hell has happened Brandao.. The man was a beast on TUF

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

By right, he should have faced someone on Mendes/Edgar level first.
    Why?
    Mendes didn't do it to get his shot.
    Nor did Frankie, Or Zombie, or Lamas.
    A number of people on here claim Duffy was facing the worst LW on the roster. Comparing Lindsey to Connor's opponents is both pointless and ridiculous.

Lindsey is mediocre, I doubt anybody thinks different. That's not Duffys fault, he put the guy away, what could he do.
    Lets just let Duffy have a few fights and stop making big deals out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

http://www.theccd.ie/whats-on?i=1136

Looks like they changed it to ticketing thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

The UFC 189: Aldo vs McGregor World Press Tour will visit Dublin on Tuesday evening 31st March 2015 and will feature featherweight champion Jose Aldo and number one contender Conor McGregor. - See more at: http://www.theccd.ie/whats-on?i=1136#sthash.dSDxBJg9.dpuf

Thankfully its in the evening no having to sneak out of work!!! :D

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Why?

A number of people on here claim Duffy was facing the worst LW on the roster. Comparing Lindsey to Connor's opponents is both pointless and ridiculous.

Lindsey is mediocre, I doubt anybody thinks different. That's not Duffys fault, he put the guy away, what could he do.

His phrasing was completely deliberate. It just comes across as bitchy. I'm surprised. But, I don't know the guy, so maybe I shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

100%

He posted pics of yer man & all & basically advised anyone that knew him to have a word with him / advise him to stop......prob the bones of a year or more ago

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

Very few people are making a big deal of it. Most have just said it was a ****ty comment and moved on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Anyone a link for the tickets to press event?trying to help a buddy get some

Why?

I 100%agree with you. what do people wanna see?? sequel fights, aldo/mendes 3?? aldo edgar 2?? all while someone who has a good chance and can rack up the $ is getting stale, older, more injury prone in what's essentially a short shelf life sport vastly becoming infamous for drug use??

Let conor have his shot and stop begrudging, you'll have plenty of ink to print I told ya so's if he looses. Having said that, losing to a 9 yr champ?? really is it that bad??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Went onto the page at 09:02 and tickets were gone lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Im not sure if your being sarcastic..imo these guys are far from top level and im not trying to slate mcgregors rise but lets at least admit that its not like he has torn through the elite of the division.

siver is a 36 year old european kickboxer who gets consistently beaten when he moves up a level and is slow.

Brandao has double digit losses on his record and imo has struggled in the ufc against anything except mid tier opposition.

Brimage is another fighter that has struggled when facing anybody with an above average skill set.

Im not sure if your being sarcastic..imo these guys are far from top level and im not trying to slate mcgregors rise but lets at least admit that its not like he has torn through the elite of the division.

siver is a 36 year old european kickboxer who gets consistently beaten when he moves up a level and is slow.

Brandao has double digit losses on his record and imo has struggled in the ufc against anything except mid tier opposition.

Brimage is another fighter that has struggled when facing anybody with an above average skill set.

When you read/quote out of context, it's easy to miss the intended tone. Don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How would you rate Porrier, Hominick and Leonard Garcia?
    Or Rani Yahya, and Omigawa?
    Cub, Hatsu Hioki and Eric Koch?
    What about Nik Kentz, Guida, and Cody McKenzie?

Are any of these guys title-shot elite?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement