Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

TommyOM wrote: »
    I actually kind of worry about that too. I'd hate to see if McGregor had a black American opponent. I am not saying he's racist (hes not at all in my opinion) but his jokes could definitely be misconstrued.

Brimage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Jose, porier.

Huge difference, Jose has a lot more mental strength than porier.

Totally different, that's why i think it's silly people getting carried away with this he's in his head etc.

You're right, it never works. He needn't bother trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So what if he's wound up?

Doesn't mean he's going to perform different in the ring.

Too much emphasis been put on this.

I never said anything about him performing differently, I was just saying that it's been shown that Conor is in Jose's head. Conor gets into the heads of his opponents and they always come after him angry. it's exactly what he wants. Getting his foes angry is part of his game, and it's working on Jose.
    I think it's naive to think that conor will get into Joses head and this will affect the outcome of the fight.

Jose is world champ and unbeaten, these mind games will mean nothing to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Brimage?

Fair enough but maybe I should rephrase it to a black american opponent these days in a big fight with lots of media attention.

McGregor likes to make jokes about his opponents and they usually center around where they're from. Even his interactions with Cormier on panels when he called him the only black hillbilly in America. Now Cormier cracked up and it was obviously a joke but these sort of comments could be taken the wrong way and blown up. Implying all Brazilians are from slums is borderline. I just worry sometimes.

TommyOM wrote: »
    Fair enough but maybe I should rephrase it to a black american opponent these days in a big fight with lots of media attention.

McGregor likes to make jokes about his opponents and they usually center around where they're from. Even his interactions with Cormier on panels when he called him the only black hillbilly in America. Now Cormier cracked up and it was obviously a joke but these sort of comments could be taken the wrong way and blown up. Implying all Brazilians are from slums is borderline. I just worry sometimes.

I'm not sure he was saying all Brazilians, he was saying Jose was from a slum. And if i'm not mistaken, he's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think the point Tommy is making is a very legitimate one. Obviously everything Conor says is taken with a massive pitch of salt, but in the PC mad world we live in these days, all it takes is one little comment to completely blow up in his face. As somebody else pointed out, he has already referred to Denis Siver as a nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    I dont know how anyone thinks McGregor being his usual ignorant self at the media days will have any bearing on the fight.

Aldo is one of the greatest fighters to have ever fought and has proven it time after time,McGregor has never even fought for a world title.

Aldo will not let the antics affect him come fight night,McGregor looks like a guy who has either lost his mind,is on class A drugs or is over compensating because he is scared.

No matter, it's very amusing.

Conor-McGregor-Rip-Aldo-Pic-750.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Lads anyone have a spare ticket to the media day in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I dont know how anyone thinks McGregor being his usual ignorant self at the media days will have any bearing on the fight.

Aldo is one of the greatest fighters to have ever fought and has proven it time after time,McGregor has never even fought for a world title.

Yes he did. He held two and never lost them!

• Advertisement

Christ not the "cage warriors England and Ireland world championship".

What other world titles then could you be talking about then? Just the ufc title then. Well of course he hasnt fought for one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's doing what he always does before fights. Just this one will get a lot more attention as it's a title fight. How this means he's on drugs I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

I already said he has never fought for a world title,you said he has.

Well they call it a world title, others call it a world title so maybe he has.....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,351 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Beersmith wrote: »
    Well they call it a world title, others call it a world title so maybe he has.....

Do you honestly consider the CW belt holder to be the world champion?
    Or are you just being pedantic because it's the technical name?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

to be fair its a title and it carries title fight pressure even if the level is nowhere near ufc

the issues for me is more that nobody he's fought is a patch on aldo.

iv been relatively confident of every mcgregor fight so far but I dont know if he can beat aldo outside of being almost the definition of having a punchers chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

to be fair its a title and it carries title fight pressure even if the level is nowhere near ufc

the issues for me is more that nobody he's fought is a patch on aldo.

iv been relatively confident of every mcgregor fight so far but I dont know if he can beat aldo outside of being almost the definition of having a punchers chance

Aldo is currently 10/13 with some bookies..im holding out for the patriotic money to come on for mcregor and hope aldo hits evens... manna from heaven.

Im a mcgregor fan but i think people are vastly overestimating his rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

Aldo is currently 10/13 with some bookies..im holding out for the patriotic money to come on for mcregor and hope aldo hits evens... manna from heaven.

i actually really like mcgregor as a fighter i think his style would draw people to his fights even if he didn't have a mouth (although not as many) but i just think aldo is another level or at least at a level we've not seem mcgregor fight to yet for all the talk of an easy road connors fought some very good fighters and absolutely destroyed them so its hard to see what his ceiling as a fighter is yet he may end up being aldos match its just hard to predict it when he's not fought someone of that standard (because theres nobody of that standard at the weight class not because he's avoiding anybody)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Am I right in thinking UFC stopped using term champion of the world a few years ago and now its just UFC champion?

There numerous organizations so you really can't be called champion of the world, 90% of the best fighters are in the UFC but thats not 100%.

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you honestly consider the CW belt holder to be the world champion?
    Or are you just being pedantic because it's the technical name?

Well the orginal post said aldo has proved himself time after time etc and it was implied conor hasnt because he never fought for a 'world title' so i was just trying to determine what he meant as a world title other than UFC. Clearly he only classes the UFC titles as world titles. Basically his post was just a way of putting conor down for no good reason.

I guess world title means as much as someones opinion as world class player does in soccer!

PS. The phrase world title doesn't mean much to me. The holder of a UFC title usually indicates to me that he or she is the best fighter currently at that weight class.

Nobody said he hasn’t had title fights
    9/10 (1.9) available at the minute, might creep higher but don't think it will hit evens.
    Those are the two that spring to my mind also.
    He hasn't just won, he has steamed through, he can only beat who they pit in front of him.
    Beersmith wrote: »
    Clearly he only classes the UFC titles as world titles. Basically his post was just a way of putting conor down for no good reason.
    Do you really think its a world title though, or just defending the fact that he’s had legitimate titles?

These days only the UFC is really a world title*. Previously you could of called Strikeforce and Pride belts world titles too.
    CW is more like the european title imo.

Forget about McGregor for a minute. He was always a level above CWs imo. For example, Jim Alers held the same belt as Conor – Alers is not a former world title holder.
    I couldn’t name the current champs, most divisions are vacant tbf at the move to the UFC soon after winning.
    I guess world title means as much as someones opinion as world class player does in soccer!
    Not really the same tbh. Would be more like world class fighter. Which definitely applies to Conor.

My heart says McGregor. But if I was forced to bet my savings, I would bet Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Aldo keeps referring to how old he is in the Embedded clips. Quite probably nothing, but I can imagine Conor saying something about that in the future, and how "Aldo knows he's passed it".

I really don't know what way this fight will swing, but its hard not to get caught up on the McGregor hype train in the build up to his fights. Obviously he's proven that its more than just hype at this stage (and this fight will really be the tell), but still, the way he handles himself in the media and so on definitely gives him an edge in the public eye, whatever about anything else, before they ever enter the octagon.

Knex. wrote: »
    Aldo keeps referring to how old he is in the Embedded clips. Quite probably nothing, but I can imagine Conor saying something about that in the future, and how "Aldo knows he's passed it".
    There's a clip of Conor holding the belt taunting Aldo saying "come and get it old man".
    I know he's only two years older, but he has a lot more milage on him.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking UFC stopped using term champion of the world a few years ago and now its just UFC champion?

There numerous organizations so you really can't be called champion of the world, 90% of the best fighters are in the UFC but thats not 100%.

Let's be honest here, unless there is a particular case like when Fedor was fighting but wouldn't fight in the UFC, then the UFC champ is considered the champion of the world.

Look at the rankings. The only non-UFC guy who you could possibly consider Top 10 in the FW division is Pitbull Friere.

In fact, if you went through each of the divisions and added up the non-UFC fighters in each of the Top 10s, I reckon you'd have less fighters than weight-classes!

Mellor wrote: »
    There's a clip of Conor holding the belt taunting Aldo saying "come and get it old man".
    I know he's only two years older, but he has a lot more milage on him.

As I said to my mate who tried to argue that Conor's 13 (or whatever it is) finishes in a row is m ore impressive than Aldo's run in the same time period, when Conor was fighting lads in school halls in Cork and finishing them, Aldo was fighting Urijah Faber for the world ttle. He's been fighting in nothing but World Title fights for the past 6 years.

That's a lot of milage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It's gonna' be some fight! If Chad Mendes can bust Jose up then Conor sure as hell is gonna' plant him. If Dennis Siever can leg kick Conor then Jose Aldo sure as hell will do the same. I can't wait!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement