Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

califano wrote: »
    You sure?, it will be similar to a PDC darts crowd:D

Not so sure now! Anyway I didn't realise it was a ticketed event. Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

anyone else get nervous as hell watching aldo get more and more pissed off at connors antics. the fecking fight is months away and I'm already getting worried about it

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ibrahimovic

anyone else get nervous as hell watching aldo get more and more pissed off at connors antics. the fecking fight is months away and I'm already getting worried about it

No, the angrier he gets the more irrational his thinking will be, the more irrational his thinking will be the more likely he will be to make mistakes.

I know im a right armchair psychologist, but it makes sense

No, the angrier he gets the more irrational his thinking will be, the more irrational his thinking will be the more likely he will be to make mistakes.

I know im a right armchair psychologist, but it makes sense

I feel the same. I'm worried that pissing Aldo off might be a bad idea. The man is absolute animal and I can see him being aggressive and motivated working in his favor rather than Conor's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I feel the same. I'm worried that pissing Aldo off might be a bad idea. The man is absolute animal and I can see him being aggressive and motivated working in his favor rather than Conor's.

It all depends. If he actually believes what he says, that McGregor is a joke, and add him being angry, trying to go out of his way to hurt him, then he could easily make a mistake and leave himself open. If McGregor wasn’t as powerful as he is then it wouldn’t be as much of an issue for Aldo but one extra risk taken and it could be curtains.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It all depends. If he actually believes what he says, that McGregor is a joke, and add him being angry, trying to go out of his way to hurt him, then he could easily make a mistake and leave himself open. If McGregor wasn’t as powerful as he is then it wouldn’t be as much of an issue for Aldo but one extra risk taken and it could be curtains.

True true, I see what you mean. I just think Aldo is a different ball game if he goes aggressive.
    Whereas the likes of Brandao was out of control aggressive and angry coming into the fight.

I can just see Aldo coming out aggressive being bad for Conor, vicious leg kicks and hooks could be his downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

True true, I see what you mean. I just think Aldo is a different ball game if he goes aggressive.
    Whereas the likes of Brandao was out of control aggressive and angry coming into the fight.

I can just see Aldo coming out aggressive being bad for Conor, vicious leg kicks and hooks could be his downfall.

Connor is pretty damn good at evasion and counter punching. Just launching yourself at him doesn't work.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Connor is pretty damn good at evasion and counter punching. Just launching yourself at him doesn't work.

Aldo doesn't just launch himself either he's a vicious and accurate striker so it will make for an interesting fight.
    I'm just worried about how Aldo will react to the wind ups.
    Aggressive doesn't have to mean reckless remember, the man is world champ and unbeaten in 18 fights for a reason.

As much as I want Conor to win I just have my doubts. None the less I will be be cheering my head off for him come fight night.

Aldo doesn't just launch himself either he's a vicious and accurate striker so it will make for an interesting fight.
    I'm just worried about how Aldo will react to the wind ups.
    Aggressive doesn't have to mean reckless remember, the man is world champ and unbeaten in 18 fights for a reason.

As much as I want Conor to win I just have my doubts. None the less I will be be cheering my head off for him come fight night.

Anger is no good in the ring, according to any fighter I've listened to, be it boxing or martial arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Anger is no good in the ring, according to any fighter I've listened to, be it boxing or martial arts.

Unless you use it to knock someone out.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »

That depends on the person/fighter. Some people can channel anger into controlled aggression. As I said it doesn't have to become reckless and I believe Aldo is the type of fighter who would thrive in this type of fight were he is reved up and motivated.

Any trainers on here wish to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Unless you use it to knock someone out.

It doesn't take a trainer to know that anger at this level isn't an advantage. If it's a fight between 2 bums in the back-end of nowhere, maybe anger will work for one bum over another. But when you're talking about 2 world class operators, anger will not add to the game plan or the strategy of the one who is angry. And when the gameplan and strategy of the opponent includes getting them angry, it plays straight into their hands.

I know it's hard to quantify, but i'd be surprised if many people have won fights BECAUSE of anger. But a lot of people have won fights by throwing their opponents off their game due to getting them angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It doesn't take a trainer to know that anger at this level isn't an advantage. If it's a fight between 2 bums in the back-end of nowhere, maybe anger will work for one bum over another. But when you're talking about 2 world class operators, anger will not add to the game plan or the strategy of the one who is angry. And when the gameplan and strategy of the opponent includes getting them angry, it plays straight into their hands.

I know it's hard to quantify, but i'd be surprised if many people have won fights BECAUSE of anger. But a lot of people have won fights by throwing their opponents off their game due to getting them angry.

i would view it a slightly different way. theres no way aldo gets red rage and starts swinging wildly i think at his level he can be calm and pick a guy apart but if he does get aggressive he's experienced enough to control that aggression. i guess its minor in the grand scheme of things but i would say if you can control it that bit of extra adrenalin could make a difference particularly when he obliterates thighs as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

But his style is controlled aggression anyway. Anger is a state of mind, a state of mind that can lead to said aggression becoming uncontrolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Holy crap the atmosphere is unbelievable!

The link for anyone who wants to watch it live:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Holy ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Some atmosphere here!

back in Dublin!!!

Aldo is shaking with what looks like a mixture of anger and nerves. Can't believe Conor actually did that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Look at Mc Gahon with his €45 haircut!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Haha the junkie asking questions....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

moneyman wrote: »
    Aldo is shaking with what looks like a mixture of anger and nerves. Can't believe Conor actually did that.

What happened??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Did darced make it there? Asking for more respect for Aldo :pac:

Edit: Some of the questions are muck. Fans parroting Conor in question form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

This is all very undignified.

the staredown is going to be interesting eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

This is all very undignified.

It's cringe worthy to be honest, fans come off very bad!

• Advertisement

fan questions in general are appalling/embarrassing also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement