Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I absolutely disagree. This is exactly what Conor needs. Wind Aldo up. The fans are doing their part largely. A few embarrassing comments but largely just winding up Aldo.

Aldo has only one way of grasping any dignity from this entire tour. Raise his hand to Conor. You can almost see him considering it as he sits there angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Very embarrassing White is sick of these silly q's

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cringe-worthy. Had to stop watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Was it really any different in Brazil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

GK1001 wrote: »
    fan questions in general are appalling/embarrassing also

I'm not very familiar with UFC but thank god these "fans" aren't representative of the greater fanbase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Packoman wrote: »
    Was it really any different in Brazil?

Probably worse although not much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

The fans here are ****ing idiots, for the most part. Attacking Aldo personally is cringe-worthy, they're making themselves look like twats. Maybe they're insulting his appearance because they haven't a clue about actual MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

See these types of "Fans" are the exact reason I dont want to go to the fight. I have tickets and at this point the thought of having to put of with some of these people is totally putting me off. You wont see these lads at amateur events across the country or god forbid putting time in actually training in a gym somewhere, but yet have the audacity to call José Aldo a pussy. Disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I avoided this as I had a feeling the Q&A would be embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

jamok wrote: »
    See these types of "Fans" are the exact reason I dont want to go to the fight. I have tickets and at this point the thought of having to put of with some of these people is totally putting me off. You wont see these lads at amateur events across the country or god forbid putting time in actually training in a gym somewhere, but yet have the audacity to call José Aldo a pussy. Disgusted.

It would be ridiculous to not go to the fight because of this. Vegas fights are awesome. Vegas is awesome. You'd be mental not to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

jamok wrote: »

That was a free ticket event, you didnt have that kind of crowd at the actual event in Dublin for McGregor vs Brandao and you wouldnt have them in Vegas either. Thats just a bunch of 'the lads' out for the craic, they have no appreciation of MMA, of the fighters and I wouldnt consider them 'fans'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Cringeworthy and personal insults are below the belt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

Pretty embarrassing all round il continue to support mcgregor but if he was not irish I wouldn't even consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Toronto was the same from both sides of fans but they didn't show the Q&A online. It's always the way. People just want their 10 seconds of fame. What kind of serious questions are you likely to get?!

Gotta add. The little kid looking for an advance on his first pay cheque had me laughing my ass off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

All Q and A's are the same. Always some idiots. There was some good banter and the crowd was energetic. Most of the idiots wouldnt attend the big fights.

Some decent questions now on the other Q and A. Another UFC on the way and hopefully croker in the works. Lets not focus on the bad and let the few idiots ruin it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Gotta add. The little kid looking for an advance on his first pay cheque had me laughing my ass off.

Thats Nate Kelly, chances are Dana will be giving him a cheque in a few years if he keeps going the way hes going.

Axwell wrote: »
    Thats Nate Kelly, chances are Dana will be giving him a cheque in a few years if he keeps going the way hes going.

Must keep an eye out so :D He's definitely got the mic skills already!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That was awful. Not sporting in the least. Whatever about Conor playing mind games, he'll actually step inside the octagon with Aldo. That crowd was terrible. Bringing kids to listen to a bunch of apes hurling insults at a world champion. This is not Irish sporting culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Aldo has only one way of grasping any dignity from this entire tour. Raise his hand to Conor. You can almost see him considering it as he sits there angry.

Your definition of dignity must be a bit off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I'm so disgusted the way some of these knackers represented Ireland today. Conor could be such a great role model for the younger generation!
    Absolutely disgusted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

they would have got more sense out of junkies sitting at the back of a Dublin bus... to think that will be viewed across the world makes me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

Which is smart because they still largely have an empire frame of mind and probably do think he's from the UK.

eh? ah your one of them.....

this whole thing is turning pretty embarrassing now, especially if aldo wins quickly or in devastating fashion. i know its not a popular opinion around here but thats not an unlikely scenario as there are so many questions left to be answered about conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yurt! wrote: »
    That was awful. Not sporting in the least. Whatever about Conor playing mind games, he'll actually step inside the octagon with Aldo. That crowd was terrible. Bringing kids to listen to a bunch of apes hurling insults at a world champion. This is not Irish sporting culture.

Now an actual ‘would someone think of the children’…

Would everyone relax, Conor received worse in Brazil the two times he was down there for press Q&A and stuff thrown at him every time an Aldo fan got on the mike throughout the tour. Where are the people calling all Brazilians at the Q&As bandwagoners and scumbags? Everyone really needs to calm down.

Having said that I do however think Conor is a terrible role model for fans new to the sport. He’s done great things for MMA but given some only know him as a fighter they see his actions as normal for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Would everyone relax, Conor received worse in Brazil the two times he was down there for press Q&A and stuff thrown at him every time an Aldo fan got on the mike throughout the tour.

Think I read somewhere about 2 wrongs equalling a right....... might've read it wrong though.
    Where are the people calling all Brazilians at the Q&As bandwagoners and scumbags?

Because this isn't boards.br it's boards.ie. We are Irish MMA fans and those people at that conference today were supposed to represent Irish MMA fans and therefore us.

But the people who turned up weren't Irish MMA fans, they were Irish McGregor fans. Bandwagon jumping clowns, most of who have probably never seen Jose Aldo fight live before outside of You tube clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

Would everyone relax, Conor received worse in Brazil the two times he was down there for press Q&A and stuff thrown at him every time an Aldo fan got on the mike throughout the tour. Where are the people calling all Brazilians at the Q&As bandwagoners and scumbags? Everyone really needs to calm down.

What are you talking about? Brazilian fans get a lot of hate on MMA forums, and often it's justified.

The only people who need to calm down are the fans calling Aldo a bitch, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Conor got abuse from fans in Brazil but it wasn't even close to the Irish fans today, not sure why you'd make that point given that it's blatantly not true. Scumbags talking about Aldo's scar, forehead, and then involving the translator. Let's put it bluntly, they were dumb as f**king rocks. I'd say the accumulative IQ of most of the people asking questions was in single digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

The crowd today were basically Ireland's version of the 'just bleed' crowd, except they were the 'just conor' crowd.

It looks like a lot of them are more interested in Conor McGregor than MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Absolutely yes. Any parent taking their kids to this and ecouraging them to join in slating, disrespecting and swearing at a world champ isn't worthy of the name. Teaching them ape behavior instead of instilling sportsmanship.

I'm not a father but if I was I'd be telling my kid that Aldo came from a slum, worked his ass off to become a world champion and deserves your respect, not that sh*tshow today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Having said that I do however think Conor is a terrible role model for fans new to the sport. He’s done great things for MMA but given some only know him as a fighter they see his actions as normal for the sport.

A lot of Brazilian fans act like scum and get called on it all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement